• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Appearance of Spidey's black costume???

24 posts in this topic

Was it ASM 252 or SW 8? The following links seem confusing especially if you look at the dates in the CGC labels or maybe Heritage was incorrect by citing the first appearance was in SW 8.

http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=808&Lot_No=6485&zoom=0&sid=C2837F0A810551DA7162AEB716EB20A7

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2204802559&category=33819

Overstreet lists it as a three way tie between ASM #252/MTU #141/ and SSM #90

This made me think of an interesting question. Why does no one seem to covet those other 2 books then (the MTU 141 or the SSM #90)? Ok, maybe some people do want them, but I wonder why there seems to be nowhere near the demand for these other books that came out right at the same time.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I believe the ASM book was the first one on the stands. They all came out the same month, but ASM was a week or two ahead of the other two.

I believe you're right. I seem to remember buying the ASM before those other two books when they all came out. That ASM book was definitely the first time I saw the new costume.

I believe the ASM book was the first one on the stands. They all came out the same month, but ASM was a week or two ahead of the other two.

I believe you're right. I seem to remember buying the ASM before those other two books when they all came out. That ASM book was definitely the first time I saw the new costume.

I agree with you guys. Don't forget, too, that during the 12 issue maxi, the other titles were not interrupted. so spidey 251 comes out, secret wars 1 comes out then spidey 252. It wasn't until secret wars 8, in December, that we see why.....

As to why the ASM 252 is more valuable? I have found overall, ASM books demand a premium over most other titles especially with tie-ins with his other titles like Peter Parker and Web and in this case, marvel team up

Yeah, you definitely have a point there. I would still think that the other books would be worth more than 3 or 4 bucks at this point, though, since it is still is one of the first appearances of the black costume/Venom.

What I'm just.....trying to say here......is it's just not......(excuse me, I'm choking up here).......fair dammit!!!!!! 893censored-thumb.giftonofbricks.gifforeheadslap.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

If you guys want to get technical, the first published image of Spider-Man's new costume was in an issue of Marvel Age (Marvel's own fan magazine). Sorry, don't know the number. However, the spider across Spidey's chest and back was colored RED in that magazine.

The first comic book story to feature Spider-Man's new black and white costume was Amazing Spider-Man 252 which preceeds Secret Wars 8 by 6 or 7 months.

Kev

I was a Venom nut. I bought anything that included him and have yet to find anything I missed going up to the day I stopped collecting. As for the black costume, I only bought the issues mentioned and those with more direct link to Venom.

Back then Secret Wars 8 was the claim. I still like the book, but understand if the claim is false. What people claim as fist appearances has always confused me. You have Venom in ASM 299, but 300 has a higher price (and I am sure a higher print run).

Then you have books like Web of Spiderman #18. I searched for this book for months and to this day only own a poor copy. It is claimed to be the fist book to hint of Venom. After the main story, Peter is waiting by some train tracks and was pushed onto them without his spider sense going off. It still fetches about $5. I wonder if it was ever proven one way or the other.

The first comic book story to feature Spider-Man's new black and white costume was Amazing Spider-Man 252 which preceeds Secret Wars 8 by 6 or 7 months.

Kev, are you absolutely 100% sure about this? I know MTU 141 came out third, but I vaguely recall PPSS 90 coming out before ASM 252 and my local comic shop owner hyping this one up as the true first appearance instead of the much-anticipated ASM 252 that got all the media coverage (yes, for you youngsters out there, Spidey's new costume was big enough news to generate "Death of Superman"-type media coverage back in 1984).

Gene

Then you have books like Web of Spiderman #18. I searched for this book for months and to this day only own a poor copy. It is claimed to be the fist book to hint of Venom. After the main story, Peter is waiting by some train tracks and was pushed onto them without his spider sense going off. It still fetches about $5. I wonder if it was ever proven one way or the other.

I think Web of Spiderman #2 has Spidey climbing a wall when a "black arm"

reaches out the window and grabs him or knocks him off balance

without his Spidey-sense going off... Eddie Brock/Venom arm? We may never know.

(It's 3 years before ASM #300, though)

I am absolutely, positively sure that ASM 252 shipped before PPSSM 90 and MTU 141.

I remember buying multiple copies off the rack the week ASM 252 came out because it was the first appearance of the black costime. I did buy an extra couple of copies of the other two, but ASM 252 is correctly identified as the first appearance of the black costume because it preceeds the other two on the racks by one week (PPSSM 90) and two weeks (MTU 141).

I think your shop owner might have been pulling a fast one.

Kev

I think your shop owner might have been pulling a fast one.

Hmmm...suppose it is possible, as I did not go to the comic shop weekly back in those days, so I might have seen both of the books on the shelf at the same time (well, the stack of PPSS #90s and the 1-2 dog-eared copies of ASM 252 that hadn't sold yet, anyway).

Gene

I think Web of Spiderman #2 has Spidey climbing a wall when a "black arm"

reaches out the window and grabs him or knocks him off balance

without his Spidey-sense going off... Eddie Brock/Venom arm? We may never know.

(It's 3 years before ASM #300, though)

The arm that pushed spidey twice ( as above and in front of a train) was a side story by

David Michelinie. Apparently he had plans for a villain to come from the alien costume and these sequences were to establish that this 'person' didn't set off his spider sense.

I've read elsewhere that the arm had no identity at the time it appeared and may have actually been intended to be a female before Eddie Brock was chosen due to his hatred of Spidey for ruining his career. After ASM 300 we supposedly know that it was

Brocks arm.

I alway assumed 252 was first, but then again i was 5 at the time it was released.

252 was first. Lets just say that I know a certain bunch of college aged fanboys who bought (AND STILL HAVE) some unopened cases of that book from the late and unlamented Fenton Street Geppi's Comic World in Silver Spring, MD.

Unfortunately, said same college aged fanboys also have unopened cases of Man of Steel 1, so it probably all works out in the end.

Back then Secret Wars 8 was the claim. I still like the book, but understand if the claim is false. What people claim as fist appearances has always confused me.

Not as confusing as my all-time favorite OS listing:

Wolverine 10: First Wolvie/Sabretooth Fight

Huh?