• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Antique Store Finds

25 posts in this topic

I'm curious if any of you have found any really great GA at antique stores? I haven't really checked out the antique store avenue and was really curious to hear your stories. Please also post a picture of your find, if you have one.

Where do you live? There's a great antique mall in Westminster, MD that has a booth dedicated to nothing but comics from platinum-bronze age. My boyfriend picked up an Iron Man #5 there for $17, and I've picked up a few Katy Keene issues from there for well under $30.

Rare book stores are another good source....I got a GA collection ....2 air conditioner size boxes full....one had only coverless, the other had G to VG+ assorted stuff, all for a thousand dollars. There were several Gerber no shows, a Startling 49, coverless Superman 2, etc. ...took a while to sell 'em all, but man was it fun.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I found all of these comics at the same antique shop in Arcola, IL about 8 years ago. Needless to say, I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. They weren't dirt cheap but they were still incredible bargains. The shop is no longer in business, unfortunately. Sorry about the poor quality scans. I scanned them when I first acquired them, and have since sold them all off.

action102-f.jpgadv111-f.jpg

all-am64.jpgall-am70.jpg

allwin5-f.jpghumant11-f.jpg

Where do you live? There's a great antique mall in Westminster, MD that has a booth dedicated to nothing but comics from platinum-bronze age. My boyfriend picked up an Iron Man #5 there for $17, and I've picked up a few Katy Keene issues from there for well under $30.

lollol

Geek hearts are breaking all over the Boards !!!

:baiting:

No GA, but I did find some really high grade SA, BA and Crumb Indy's, while living in Wisconsin at an antique mall in Madison. Wish I'd grabbed more as there's very little left now. It's where I purchased an eventual 9.4 X-Men #100 and a few other goodies :)

I found all of these comics at the same antique shop in Arcola, IL about 8 years ago. Needless to say, I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. They weren't dirt cheap but they were still incredible bargains. The shop is no longer in business, unfortunately. Sorry about the poor quality scans. I scanned them when I first acquired them, and have since sold them all off.

action102-f.jpgadv111-f.jpg

all-am64.jpgall-am70.jpg

allwin5-f.jpghumant11-f.jpg

How awesome is that - something I dream about - very cool.

I've never found anything in an antique store, comic wise anyway. I've been to quite a few in hopes of it though.

Back in 1991, Matt Nelson did make an antique shop find that I ended up with though. He found a box of Jumbos, Jungles, Whiz and Captain Marvel for $200. It was a fairly large box, equivalent to around a long box. I made a trade with him for them.

So, in a way, I guess I did

:)

Where I live just outside L.A. everyone in the antiques business thinks they know what things are worth. Consequently every antique shop has a stack of beat up Good+ Dennis the Menace books or whatever at 9.0 guide. (shrug)

Where I live just outside L.A. everyone in the antiques business thinks they know what things are worth. Consequently every antique shop has a stack of beat up Good+ Dennis the Menace books or whatever at 9.0 guide. (shrug)

Same in the Denver area. Lots of waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced and overgraded SA to be had. Kinda sad actually as the books just sit in the display cases for years and years. Even the folks working have told me they hear the same feedback about the comics time and time again (shrug)

Where do you live? There's a great antique mall in Westminster, MD that has a booth dedicated to nothing but comics from platinum-bronze age.

Really?

Where exactly?

To what extent does the booth have Platinum and Golden Age books?