• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who think this would help CGC

54 posts in this topic

I thought they started up in Florida (in part) for the tax benefits? Not to mention other perks...

Not sure another facility would be feasible or profitable, but it's fun to think about!

Dan

Get a facility in the UK, I know there are myself and three other friends who would submit ehough books between us to keep the place open!

The shipping rates are killer to get books graded from over here, last batch of 12 I submitted cost $170 just to ship there and back. Then add the grading fees and it becomes extremely expensive.

I would never expect a CGC facility over here though, even though I reckon a lot more people in the UK would submit books if there were one.

I second that emotion :D

Makes sense to have one in the Mid-west, the shipping time might be shorter from central USA instead of coast-to-coast.
shipping time would not be affected at all... priority mail/registered is pretty much the same time from FL to CA as it would be from CA to IL... so, that "reason" is not a reasonable reason to open up another branch...

and, why would submissions increase?...99.99% (speculating here) of submissions are surely received by cgc via the mail...so who cares 'where" they are...

to be honest, the idea makes no sense at all (to me) (shrug)

I would expand it to not only Chicago(MID-USA) but NY( more East Coast) and Los Angeles(West Coast). this would be done to help speed up the process of getting the books CGC. I just don`t know if this would be affordable to CGC. Definatly Chicago though as it is in middle of country. Canada would cost to much, be slow shipping and would be hard to track in the mail.

Quality control might also be an issue with multiple offices IMO.

Nail on the head!

Nah -- that's why there is digital imaging. (Which they should be using consistently, rather than only as a value-added service.)

I think a location on the East and West coasts, and maybe even Chicago would be great. But honestly, they'd probably do best with a location next door to a major auction house like Heritage, and Dallas is much cheaper than NY.

(Despite the fact that I have had my own ups and downs with HA, they are definitely the biggest.)

Makes sense to have one in the Mid-west, the shipping time might be shorter from central USA instead of coast-to-coast.
shipping time would not be affected at all... priority mail/registered is pretty much the same time from FL to CA as it would be from CA to IL... so, that "reason" is not a reasonable reason to open up another branch...

and, why would submissions increase?...99.99% (speculating here) of submissions are surely received by cgc via the mail...so who cares 'where" they are...

Of course it doesn't make sense to you and I'm sure to many people, it's a thought with no intention of it even happening at the moment but could it happen and if so why not CHICAGO ?

And I say Chicago because of the number of states that border the city as well as the number of large conventions that happen here. Yes, their are more than just wizard world. Plus if you think about the number of people who would drive from another state or even country (canada) to drop books off and wait 1 day to have them graded instead of waiting 20 or 40 days and still have to wait for them to ship them back. These are just my thoughts on it and I see CGC making ALOT more money in a large city in the mid-west then they curently are right now.

Of course it doesn't make sense to you and I'm sure to many people, it's a thought with no intention of it even happening at the moment but could it happen and if so why not CHICAGO ?

And I say Chicago because of the number of states that border the city as well as the number of large conventions that happen here. Yes, their are more than just wizard world. Plus if you think about the number of people who would drive from another state or even country (canada) to drop books off and wait 1 day to have them graded instead of waiting 20 or 40 days and still have to wait for them to ship them back. These are just my thoughts on it and I see CGC making ALOT more money in a large city in the mid-west then they curently are right now.

You don't get 1 day service unless you pay for 1 day service. The folks sending books at the cheaper level might drive in but they'll bring only a marginal increase in revenue as, unless you're bringing in a large quantity, you might as well mail them in. CGC was based in NJ and already has a pretty good sense of how much incremental business they'll get and I doubt it remotely justifies an additional office, much less one in Chicago where they currently have no presence at all from their sister companies. In addition,. there are opportunities to drop off books when CGC sets up at the different shows around the country, including CGC Wizard World. They have only a tiny interest in how long it takes books to be mailed to them/from them as long as they are able to keep their graders busy.

I would expand it to not only Chicago(MID-USA) but NY( more East Coast) and Los Angeles(West Coast). this would be done to help speed up the process of getting the books CGC. I just don`t know if this would be affordable to CGC. Definatly Chicago though as it is in middle of country. Canada would cost to much, be slow shipping and would be hard to track in the mail.

Los Angeles, Denver and Pensacola................would be perfect when you think about it. Not Chicago...........Denver has the best airport, smartest people per the census, richest county (Douglas County( Chuck R. and is the true mecca ground given the MH Collection was discovered here...........as well as other high grade pedigree comics. Chuck could walk over his million dollar no 1s versus running the risk of driving, mailing or flying to Florida with those in his hands.

The cost to CGC to open two new offices couldn't be justified. They get out by going to conventions which is smarter on the bottom line than new million dollar operations.

Aside from having a west coast presence....which could benefit a lot of west coast dealers, and submissions, I think there are a lot of qualified people who can grade very well out on the west coast, who might consider working for CGC if it was in their hood. That would be a huge factor if CGC saw it fit to expand.