• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question: Any interest in a Signature Series Marketplace subforum?

53 posts in this topic

I am not saying the idea is bad. But it does limit us to what we can sell and where. I have threads that are 90-95% SS books. But I try to add other stuff in to get a variety. My last SS thread in the marketplace, I put in a bunch of prints and I made a sale with them. Would they have sold if I only sold in an SS only forum? I can't say. I just think that limiting the market limits who sees things.

Feel free to put in a SS marketplace subforum, but I will still post in the regular marketplace. I just feel there is too much to lose by limiting the audience.

And yes, I have looked at who buys my stuff. What worries me is the people I will lose who don't visit the SS forum, and we also lose the casual buyer looking for something new.

Alex, people who prefer selling in Marketplace wouldn't be forced to sell in a SS Marketplace subforum, just as OA sellers are not forced to sell in the OA Marketplace subforum.

However it would be beneficial, if we did do this, for someone who prefers the regular Marketplace for Forum Only selling to simply put an announcement in the SS Marketplace subforum to draw attention to their new or updated Marketplace threads. Since, as you guys think, a SS subforum would be slower moving, it would keep a link to your thread in a more prominant position for SS buyers who WOULD peruse the SS Marketplace subforum (but might have missed or not checked the Marketplace thread) as it would stay on the "Front Page" of such a subforum for a longer period of time. You would get a longer "shelf life" for your sales threads (as they quickly shuffle off of the front page of the Marketplace section).

The other benefit that I personally see of having a SS Marketplace Subforum is that such a Subforum would allow for "Forum Only" and "Announcements of Off-Forum Sales" (such as eBay and private websites) threads to be collected in a single forum, which I think would be a valuable resource for SS collectors. Plus it would leave the main SS forum a little less cluttered and be more for discussions about signed books, signing events, showing off new acquisitions, etc.

Alex, people who prefer selling in Marketplace wouldn't be forced to sell in a SS Marketplace subforum, just as OA sellers are not forced to sell in the OA Marketplace subforum.

However it would be beneficial, if we did do this, for someone who prefers the regular Marketplace for Forum Only selling to simply put an announcement in the SS Marketplace subforum to draw attention to their new or updated Marketplace threads. Since, as you guys think, a SS subforum would be slower moving, it would keep a link to your thread in a more prominant position for SS buyers who WOULD peruse the SS Marketplace subforum (but might have missed or not checked the Marketplace thread) as it would stay on the "Front Page" of such a subforum for a longer period of time. You would get a longer "shelf life" for your sales threads (as they quickly shuffle off of the front page of the Marketplace section).

The other benefit that I personally see of having a SS Marketplace Subforum is that such a Subforum would allow for "Forum Only" and "Announcements of Off-Forum Sales" (such as eBay and private websites) threads to be collected in a single forum, which I think would be a valuable resource for SS collectors. Plus it would leave the main SS forum a little less cluttered and be more for discussions about signed books, signing events, showing off new acquisitions, etc.

Well stated, Kevin. I would love to see a subforum, as I am just beginning to collect SS books. With the subforum option, it definitely would make things more simple. Thanks!

I am not saying the idea is bad. But it does limit us to what we can sell and where. I have threads that are 90-95% SS books. But I try to add other stuff in to get a variety. My last SS thread in the marketplace, I put in a bunch of prints and I made a sale with them. Would they have sold if I only sold in an SS only forum? I can't say. I just think that limiting the market limits who sees things.

Feel free to put in a SS marketplace subforum, but I will still post in the regular marketplace. I just feel there is too much to lose by limiting the audience.

And yes, I have looked at who buys my stuff. What worries me is the people I will lose who don't visit the SS forum, and we also lose the casual buyer looking for something new.

+1

hm I see a bit of a problem as it appears a number of the SS witnesses don't seem to be lining up for it, and they are the ones who typically offer the bulkhead of the SS stuff on the boards.

I do have one suggestion, however, that might work: How about having a sub-forum where members can list items they have for sale IN the regular marketplace? No one posts :takeit: 's, but instead simply provides links to those posts in their For Sale thread that lead directly to the signature-related items in the regular marketplace? This way, there is a section for people to find SS stuff like we normally have here in the SS forum addressing some of what Kevin is discussing, but it also addresses some of what the other witnesses are concerned about regarding losing traffic, etc.

Thoughts? :shrug:

Having it in the regular Marketplace defeats the purpose of using this particular forum as a resource for SS collectors and Witnesses.

What has been proposed - creation of a SIgnature Room Marketplace Subforum (similar to the Original Art Marketplace subforum)

Posters can start threads that:

- link to sales threads in the main Marketplace forum with SS books

- link to eBay auctions with SS books

- link to websites where SS books are sold

- list items directly for sale on the subforum

(Incidentally, this means that sales threads won't be allowed in the main Signature Room, they'll be moved to the subforum.)

So far, responses have been largely positive, including responses from some Witnesses. Yes, a few sellers (who are also Witnesses) are saying they probably won't use it and unsurprisingly these are the same people that don't normally start sales threads in here, which is their choice.

I don't really see that as a problem as the proposal is in response to the growing number of people that actually do use this forum to announce their for sale items.

It will either happen... or not.

(thumbs u

Having it in the regular Marketplace defeats the purpose of using this particular forum as a resource for SS collectors and Witnesses.

What has been proposed - creation of a SIgnature Room Marketplace Subforum (similar to the Original Art Marketplace subforum)

(Incidentally, this means that sales threads won't be allowed in the main Signature Room, they'll be moved to the subforum.)

So far, responses have been largely positive, including responses from some Witnesses. Yes, a few sellers (who are also Witnesses) are saying they probably won't use it and unsurprisingly these are the same people that don't normally start sales threads in here, which is their choice.

I don't really see that as a problem as the proposal is in response to the growing number of people that actually do use this forum to announce their for sale items.

It will either happen... or not.

+1

If it doesn't affect sellers who post to the main marketplace, then I don't see any reason why not. It just makes it more convenient if those sellers also create a thread in the SS sub-forum with a link to their sales in the main marketplace.

Lately I've been interested in mostly SS books, so it would be nice if I don't have to dig through pages upon pages of sales threads in the main marketplace. Plus, I have missed some SS sales threads in the past since I didn't see them right off when going down the thread list.