• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your favorite quote from a comic?

137 posts in this topic

Next to the old Batman quotes that were inserted, what was the writer thinking with that Green Lantern quote? That doesn't even make sense unless you were trying to make an oddball statement.

Do you know what the rest of the story contained that lightens that up a bit?

Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses. You build up a whole armor, for years, so nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life... You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' or 'how very perceptive' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a body-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. Nothing should be able to do that. Especially not love. I hate love.

"I shall be a creature of the night - dark, terrible. I hope a bat doesn't fly through the window, or I'm in big trouble!" Captain America becomes the Nomad, Cap # 176.

"And I shall show them that a man without hope is a man without fear!" Daredevil, Born Again.

Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses. You build up a whole armor, for years, so nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life... You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' or 'how very perceptive' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a body-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. Nothing should be able to do that. Especially not love. I hate love.

You scare me just a little. A little.

"Burn." - Superman Annual 11. Within the scene, that one word carries an incredible amount of weight.

What was the scene??

This synopsis explains it better than I ever could.

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/comics/pre-crisis-reviews/pre-crisis-mmrs-intro.php?topic=c-review-pc-sa11

Here's the relevant passage.

"Do you understand what you did to me?" Superman asks. "Perfectly," whispers Mongul, smashing Superman through the ceiling into a room filled with alien beasts. Grabbing Superman by the neck, Mongul pronounces gleefully, "Happy birthday, Kryptonian. I give you... oblivion." Superman's eyes glow red. "Burn," whispers Superman, and flames shoot from his eyes. His heat vision sears Mongul's flesh and the yellow giant screams in pain.

That exact scene ( "i give you oblivion - burn") is repeated in the JLA animated series for supes birthday! (consequently the ep is named for the man who has everything...)

So THATS where it comes from....

side note that series is surprisingly awesome and contains a remarkable number of comic references/rip offs, the more of which i pick up the more i read...

JLA and JLU are incredible. Batman the Animated Series also makes comic references and has adapted many of its shows from the comics. Those were the best animated series.

I love this thread but my memory sucks. Here's the two that I can remember off the top of my head.

.."In the only arms strong enough to hold me." Superman about Lois - in Superman for Tomorrow

"Think clean thoughts, old chum." Batman to Robin when he first sees Wonder Woman - Superman Annual 11

I love this thread but my memory sucks. Here's the two that I can remember off the top of my head.

.."In the only arms strong enough to hold me." Superman about Lois - in Superman for Tomorrow

"Think clean thoughts, old chum." Batman to Robin when he first sees Wonder Woman - Superman Annual 11

I remember that Superman Annual 11 quote! Now you're going to make me go back and read it all over again. Oh brother!!! Or sister in your case.