• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The lighter side

15 posts in this topic

Anyone have a favorite comic or moment in a comic that cracked you up so much you are unlikely to ever forget it? Something like...

Comics

Impulse # 50 (Agent of the Bat) - Joker forces Batman to allow Impulse to act as his sidekick while he and his “Marx Brothers” hold hostages in a novelty warehouse.

Action Comics #765 - Joker and Harley Quinn invade Metropolis to get back at Lex. A Fluish-like Superman has his hands full with an annoyed wife, an annoyed archenemy and a clown that has more one-liners that should be allowed by law (AC/DC references are hilarious).

Moments

Hulk #455 - Wolverine brings the unconscious Hulk to the X-Mansion for medical attention (and a little cat seems to tag along). Of course the X Members panic and Wolverine has to keep assuring them “He won’t wreck the place”.

X-Men #73 - Beast pins up his New Years resolution...

1) Eat fewer Twinkies

2) Read more 15th Century texts

3) Cure Legacy Virus

Cecilia Reyes makes a comment about being a tad too optimistic. He agrees and says something like “those yellow pastries will be hard to kick”. (I found many funny beast quotes looking for the issue # at http://alykat.hispeed.com/beast/quote.shtml

JLA #33 (I think) - JLA versus Bruce Wayne (kinda). The JLA go undercover in civilian clothes. Big Barda shows up in a sexy red dress that was sent to her hotel room. She quickly finds out it is Plastic Man. 893whatthe.gif

Damn right. The whole Peter David Hulk canon from #330 onwards is indeed the business. Including the Jeff Purves section. That and certain issues of Preacher (the Cassidy special spring to mind) are my picks for favourite rereads. Although Preacher is an acquired taste - you've got to have a stomach for all those naturalistic, excessively violent episodes. Get past that and they're very funny.

certain issues of Preacher (the Cassidy special spring to mind) are my picks for favourite rereads. Although Preacher is an acquired taste - you've got to have a stomach for all those naturalistic, excessively violent episodes. Get past that and they're very funny.

I can't wait for the movie. Garth wrote the screen play. thumbsup2.gif

A Herbie Comic from the 1950s, I belive. Herbie is a "fat nothing," drawn almost round. In this story, his father is having financial problems of some sort and Herbie sets out to help is dad. The best panel is of three Salvation Army type Santas gathering money for charity. The first has a sign that reads "Help feed the hungry." The second has a sign that says "Help clothe the poor." The last is Herbie dressed as Santa and his sign says, "Help keep my dad out of jail."

I will post a scan later.

The current issue of Punisher, which is staggeringly laugh out loud funny and isn't trying to be. The whole bit where Wolverine's body is regenerating in the bath tub is absolutely over the top.

sign-rantpost.gifsign-offtopic.gifDoes anybody else here think that the book is just staggeringly bad? Is Punisher the book Ennis writes when he comes home from an all night bender? And the McCrea artwork looks like something my 3 year old does.

The current issue of Punisher, which is staggeringly laugh out loud funny and isn't trying to be. The whole bit where Wolverine's body is regenerating in the bath tub is absolutely over the top.

sign-rantpost.gifsign-offtopic.gifDoes anybody else here think that the book is just staggeringly bad? Is Punisher the book Ennis writes when he comes home from an all night bender? And the McCrea artwork looks like something my 3 year old does.

Donut,

You're right - there's something not right about the Punisher right now. I don't know that it's staggeringly bad, but the stories have been uneven and the artwork has been downright awful at times (which is particularly annoying when the covers are so good!).

But, there have been some funny spots, like when Punny went up against Wolverine several issues ago & ran over him with a steamroller - I laughed at that (even though Wolverine was WAY, WAY over the top in that entire issue, running around with just his adamantium skull). I also enjoyed the end of the issue that guest-starred Elektra, in which he asked her out on a date in the last panel.

I kinda wonder what the heck Ennis will do with the Punisher under the MAX line - it's not like it's void of gruesome stuff in the current format! More four-letter words, I guess.

Acclaim's "Quantum & Woody" series was tagged as "The World's Worst Superhero Team".

(Christopher Priest was the writer...)

While not always laugh-out-loud funny...

There was a particular issue when their bodies got swapped,

you know, 'Freaky Friday' style... and they had to negotiate

a trip to the bathroom without wanting to touch each other's

private parts, even though they were in each other's bodies.

Errr... nevermind.

In "The Second-Richest Duck," a fairly early Uncle Scrooge tale by Barks, Scrooge and Flinheart Glomgold (gotta love that name) decide to measure their respective balls of string (these guys were collectors too!) across the African savannah, since they seemed to have equal quantities of everything else. At the end, after all sorts of nefarious tactics on the part of each combatant, Scrooge wins by an inch after appearing to have lost...because he's got an extra 3 inches of string in his pocket, attached to the first dime he ever earned. Classic stuff.

Justice League #5 (1980s) - Batman vs Guy Gardner. One Punch. Laugh-out-loud hilarity.

In fact, several of those JL's had funny moments.

I second this one 893applaud-thumb.gif

And I third it! I loved Justice League - every issue made me laugh!

When Booster Gold and Blue Beetle buy that island in Justice League (2nd series), cleaning out the JLA's bank account. Lots a hilarity in those issues. Some friends of mine and I used to sit in class at high school and laugh out loud over that run. Also featured some great art by Adam Hughes..

There's one issue ( I believe it's a Spectacular Spider-Man comic). The one where Aunt May finally knows Peter is Spider-man. But, Peter doesn't know, she knows. She's trying to get Peter to come home through a series of telephone conversations during a winter storm, while Peter is trying to come up with reasons why he can't make it...... Aunt May doesn't seem to be buying it - because...well...she knows!

The most fun I've had reading a comic, bar none.