• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone Off To Bed?

29 posts in this topic

I'm off to bed.

Before that, though, the expression itself is interesting. Is "bed" a verb in "to bed"? As in "to eat" or "to walk"? I suppose we already DO use "bed" as a verb. "I bedded down for the night."

Or is "bed" a noun in the term "to bed"? But in most things I can think of the noun would be preceded by the article "the" as in "to the store" or "to the library". But we do not say "I am off to the bed". "We say, I am off to bed."

These things keep me awake in the wee hours.

I'm off to bed.

Before that, though, the expression itself is interesting. Is "bed" a verb in "to bed"? As in "to eat" or "to walk"? I suppose we already DO use "bed" as a verb. "I bedded down for the night."

Or is "bed" a noun in the term "to bed"? But in most things I can think of the noun would be preceded by the article "the" as in "to the store" or "to the library". But we do not say "I am off to the bed". "We say, I am off to bed."

However one says it, I'm with you. Nite! :hi:

Your thinking to much...have a beer and then "OFF TO BED!" (thumbs u

Wish I could remove myself from work....2 more hours :makepoint:

real men don't sleep...., :mad:

Nope, they just go psychotic from a lack of it! :insane:

real men don't sleep...., :mad:

Nope, they just go psychotic from a lack of it! :insane:

..., that too...., :blush:

I'm off to bed.

Exactly. Like when we say I'm off to work. Are about to go do some work or are you going to do the action of work or are you going to a place you call work.

Like when you say "I totally bedded that hot chick last night" could not involve a bed at all rather a sofa or couch.

I'm off to bed.

Exactly. Like when we say I'm off to work. Are about to go do some work or are you going to do the action of work or are you going to a place you call work.

Like when you say "I totally bedded that hot chick last night" could not involve a bed at all rather a sofa or couch.

Exactly right, Cap!!!! (thumbs u

I'm off to bed.

Infinitive = "to" + "singular verb"

Prepositional Phrase = preposition + variable number of words + noun that designates TIME or PLACE.

Just as some verbs can act as both linking and helping verbs, some words can act as both infinitives or prepositional phrases.

I.E. "to bed"

If used in the context of " I am going to bed that chick," this is an infinitive, and could therefore be conjugated as a regular verb that is interchangeable with the something along the lines "to f...well, you know ;)

If you used in the context of "I am going to bed," then the bed serves as either a destination or a time of the day when a certain action is performed, then this is a prepositional phrase.

Yeah... I'm in the midst of re-teaching this to some of my high schoolers because their fundamental sentence writing skills just aren't where they should be. meh

I'm off to bed.

Yeah... I'm in the midst of re-teaching this to some of my high schoolers because their fundamental sentence writing skills just aren't where they should be. meh

A couple of reasons may be Spanish will be the majority language by 2018 or the majority of us all have Microsoft word with spell checker. ;)

I'm off to bed.

Infinitive = "to" + "singular verb"

Prepositional Phrase = preposition + variable number of words + noun that designates TIME or PLACE.

Just as some verbs can act as both linking and helping verbs, some words can act as both infinitives or prepositional phrases.

I.E. "to bed"

If used in the context of " I am going to bed that chick," this is an infinitive, and could therefore be conjugated as a regular verb that is interchangeable with the something along the lines "to f...well, you know ;)

If you used in the context of "I am going to bed," then the bed serves as either a destination or a time of the day when a certain action is performed, then this is a prepositional phrase.

How about "I am going to sleep"? Is sleep the noun where one visits, such as going to the store? Or is it a verb, as in "to sleep".

Personally I enjoy the genteel feel of using sleep as the noun and visiting sleep. :grin:

Consider the history behind it--it was probably at some point proper to say "I'm going to the bed now." "off" doesn't make sense without the slang behind it either. So I think it's just slang shortening the language as always :)

How about "I am going to sleep"? Is sleep the noun where one visits, such as going to the store? Or is it a verb, as in "to sleep".

Personally I enjoy the genteel feel of using sleep as the noun and visiting sleep. :grin:

I = Subject

am going = verb phrase or complete verb (am - helping verb / going - action verb)

to sleep = infinitive

(thumbs u

If you had said "It is sleep time" then sleep would have served as a noun because it is a time of the day. Make sense? :)

And Microsoft Spell and Grammar check is far from perfect. You can spell a word correctly but if it is a homophone for the word you want (i.e. there, they're, their), MS S&G check will not always pick up on it. Another pointer I give my students-high school kids and college students.

And Microsoft Spell and Grammar check is far from perfect. You can spell a word correctly but if it is a homophone for the word you want (i.e. there, they're, their), MS S&G check will not always pick up on it. Another pointer I give my students-high school kids and college students.

I go by the "Just Learn The Stinkin' Grammer Already" rule. xD

I go by the "Just Learn The Stinkin' Grammer Already" rule. xD

:cloud9:

If only others espoused that belief...