• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover for cover - what's the best Pre-Code Horror run?

75 posts in this topic

Mask Comics gets my vote! (thumbs u

Only two covers, but both are classics and, cover for cover, rank with the best of GA.

GE

I love Mask but it's not really a pre-code horror title.

How about Blue Bolt Weird Tales?

http://comics.org/covers.lasso?SeriesID=785

How could I forget that one? doh!

I love that series!!! It's weak on interior art, save for the decent Disbrow story, but for pure cover art...

Right.... covers only!

It's a dead heat between WM #1-7 and BBWT #111-119, which may have been L.B. Cole's best selection of pre-code covers in one title.

Great sci-fi covers just prior to 111 and the Ghostly Weirds that are a continuation are quite good as well.

Ghostly Weird

For titles under 5 issues I'd choose Weird Chills #1-3 and Beware #10-12 by Youthful (Check your Gerber on page #149) :devil:

West

Beware is an under-rated title!

Beware Youthful

Part of what inspired me to start this thread was that I just bought a copy of Phantom Stranger 6 from Piper a few days ago. I already have the complete run of SA/BA Phantom Stranger books from 1-41 including Showcase 80, but I have always loved the GA Phantom Stranger covers. I don't know if that title qualifies as pre-code horror, but they are some of my personal favorite covers.

Thanks for all the posts. Definitely some great covers listed! :cloud9:

PS is definitely pre-code horror but of a lighter, more suspenseful sort (hey, it's a DC). I like the run as it's a little out of the way series and if you try to complete it then it's not one that will take forever or break the bank like House of Mystery.

My favorite issue:

Phantom4-2.jpg