• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover for cover - what's the best Pre-Code Horror run?

75 posts in this topic

Mask Comics gets my vote! (thumbs u

Only two covers, but both are classics and, cover for cover, rank with the best of GA.

GE

I love Mask but it's not really a pre-code horror title.

Whatever it is, it rules.

maskgrp.jpg

Only two covers, but both are classics and, cover for cover, rank with the best of GA.

GE

maskgrp.jpg

It does! (worship)

I've always wondered where he got the idea for the Mask 1. It's really not like anything he did and is a pretty abstruse concept for a comic book cover.

PS is definitely pre-code horror but of a lighter, more suspenseful sort (hey, it's a DC). I like the run as it's a little out of the way series and if you try to complete it then it's not one that will take forever or break the bank like House of Mystery.

My favorite issue:

Phantom4-2.jpg

Did someone say Phantom Strangers?

th_PS1FC.jpgth_RAD13A992008125_175733.jpgth_PS3FC.jpg

th_PS4FC.jpgth_PS5FC.jpgth_PS6FC.jpg

My vote would be for those Ghosts posted earlier!

Right.... covers only!

It's a dead heat between WM #1-7 and BBWT #111-119, which may have been L.B. Cole's best selection of pre-code covers in one title.

Great sci-fi covers just prior to 111 and the Ghostly Weirds that are a continuation are quite good as well.

Ghostly Weird

Blue Bolt might win both best Sci-Fi covers and best horror covers.

bluebolt105.jpg

PS is definitely pre-code horror but of a lighter, more suspenseful sort (hey, it's a DC). I like the run as it's a little out of the way series and if you try to complete it then it's not one that will take forever or break the bank like House of Mystery.

My favorite issue:

Phantom4-2.jpg

th_PS1FC.jpgth_RAD13A992008125_175733.jpgth_PS3FC.jpg

th_PS4FC.jpgth_PS5FC.jpgth_PS6FC.jpg

My vote would be for those Ghosts posted earlier!

Yes we did. Was hoping you would pipe up. :headbang:

Right.... covers only!

It's a dead heat between WM #1-7 and BBWT #111-119, which may have been L.B. Cole's best selection of pre-code covers in one title.

Great sci-fi covers just prior to 111 and the Ghostly Weirds that are a continuation are quite good as well.

Ghostly Weird

Blue Bolt might win both best Sci-Fi covers and best horror covers.

bluebolt105.jpg

Great cover! :cloud9:

GE

maskgrp.jpg

It does! (worship)

I've always wondered where he got the idea for the Mask 1. It's really not like anything he did and is a pretty abstruse concept for a comic book cover.

Maybe he'd just finished reading Dante's "Divine Comedy"? (shrug)

I get the whole "Evil draws men like moths to the flame, and those that it touches are cast down" thing. Actually, both of these covers are about being cast down. They're sort of a before and after. What's the tone of the of the interiors? GCD's information is sparse.

It could just have been something as simple as this: The title of the book is "Mask" -> Mask as in Theater Masks -> Theater Masks as in Commedia Del'arte/Italian Comedy -> Italian Comedy as in Divine Comedy -> I like Gustave Dore, let's start drawing.

Or was that a rhetorical question?

Back OT from my incomprehensible ramble: Add another vote for Ghost Comics. (thumbs u The late run Jumbo Comics also have some nice Whitman horror covers.

Let's hear it for Don Heck's pure-horror covers for HORRIFIC and WEIRD TERROR!

Good suggestion!

Horrific6.jpg