• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First SS signing?

14 posts in this topic

What is the date of the very first SS signing and who was/were the signer(s)?

It got a Purple label tho...to much resto :makepoint:

Here's the first Signature Series announcement:

Posted by CGC at 5/15/2001 3:54:16 PM

CGC is pleased to announce a new service called the CGC Signature Series. Finally, the comic book hobby will have a way of knowing that the signature on a comic book they purchase is a legitimate signature of their favorite professional and not a forgery.

Before this, a collector would buy a signed comic book and get a piece of paper, called a "certificate of authenticity" stating when and where the comic book was signed and who signed it. Unfortunately, there is no way to know if another comic with a forged signature was given to them with that piece of paper.

The CGC Signature Series offers an excellent way to authenticate an artist’s or writer’s signature and prevent the buyer from unknowingly purchasing a forgery. The comic book will be signed by the artist or writer and, along with the correct, corresponding documentation to ensure authenticity, sent directly to CGC for certification. That comic book will get the same impartial, expert, third party grading you expect from CGC, but it will also be given our new yellow label stating who signed the comic book, the date it was signed and then put in our state-of-the-art CGC tamper evident holder. To kick this great new service off, CGC will have one hundred Tomb Raider #1’s from the Top Cow Collection signed by Andy Park. This will be just in time to coincide with the new Tomb Raider movie this June from paramount pictures starring Angelina Jolie.

After that, the next certified CGC Signature Series comic book will be Legend Of The Sage #1 from Chaos! comics.

If you are a store owner, convention promoter, publisher, or comic book artist/writer and would like to be a part of this revolutionary new concept, please contact us at 877-662-6642.

Join Discussion: Make your mark

After that announcement the next limited SS signing was of Catwoman #1, signed by Darwyn Cooke, with proceeds going to ACTOR, organized by Peter at Paradise.

In the spring of 2002 at the Pittsburgh con the first SS at conventions took place, organized by Peter (Paradise) and I. Interest was mild at first, and for a couple of years Paradise was the only dealer out there doing SS books at major shows such as the Wizard Worlds, San Diego and the Big Apple National. Many of the leading Witnesses active today started as Paradise customers, like Kris Moore and Chandler Rice. Over the years they would join us at conventions and see how things worked in the field, so to speak, which allowed a level of trust to be reached for them to obtain authorization to branch out on their own by CGC, as many others have done subsequently.

In 2004-5 things started to take off, beginning with the March '04 Cerebus 300 signing and a stronger presence at conventions, especially Wizard World Chicago and Philly. By summer 2005 requests were increasing, Wizard expanded their SS interests and more dealers were given Witnessing authorization like Chris & Tiz, Kris and more . By fall of 2005 Signature Series was made an available service by CGC at their booth at all major conventions, run directly by CGC and I was brought in to do this. Since then the number of witnesses has grown, and we've got many great people out there doing great jobs.

To kick this great new service off, CGC will have one hundred Tomb Raider #1’s from the Top Cow Collection signed by Andy Park.

Does these ever come up for sale?

(shrug) No idea. I haven't ever seen one, but I haven't been looking either.

Me niether...now I might have to start tho!

BTW...thanks for the info Kevin! (thumbs u