• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Focus? Whats yours?

62 posts in this topic

I must have every issue of every Bat title in CGC 9.8 from the 1975 to 1983 era (the ones I read as a kid)

This includes:

Batman

Detective

Batman Family

Brave & Bold

World's Finest

Joker

Man-Bat

Dynamic Classics

and any other title where Batman guest starred on the cover

so far I've got about 40 books

and I might add JLA to that list once I get all of the above

ps - sell me your Bats 9.8's from this era. whatcha got?

I'll go 8.5 - 9.4, I try to stick to 9.0 + 9.2. I'm sure when I get near completion I will find that I have compromised - probably on some of the more outrageously priced keys...I don't know about 9.6's I feel like the market breaks down a little too much there and value becomes unpredictable.

Really after years of buying raw books at conventions and swap meets and the like, I find that most of the books that I considered clean copies when I bought them are 8's & 8.5's - so I am more interested in how the book appears to me. I guesss somewhere under the surface I am still a subjective collector.

L

I must have every issue of every Bat title in CGC 9.8 from the 1975 to 1983 era (the ones I read as a kid)

This includes:

Batman

Detective

Batman Family

Brave & Bold

World's Finest

Joker

Man-Bat

Dynamic Classics

and any other title where Batman guest starred on the cover

so far I've got about 40 books

and I might add JLA to that list once I get all of the above

ps - sell me your Bats 9.8's from this era. whatcha got?

Ill be submitting a few Bat books from the early CA should be 9.8's :whistle:

The Tec's are mine :devil:

I'll go 8.5 - 9.4, I try to stick to 9.0 + 9.2. I'm sure when I get near completion I will find that I have compromised - probably on some of the more outrageously priced keys...I don't know about 9.6's I feel like the market breaks down a little too much there and value becomes unpredictable.

Really after years of buying raw books at conventions and swap meets and the like, I find that most of the books that I considered clean copies when I bought them are 8's & 8.5's - so I am more interested in how the book appears to me. I guesss somewhere under the surface I am still a subjective collector.

L

I am no condition conscious collector but eye-appeal has always been more important to me than true condition so some 8.5's look as good as some 9.2's. Some of my books have back cover defects and I like to buy those.

Good luck with your quest. (thumbs u

Here's mine:

The X-men. All raw, only 73 issues to go... :cloud9:

All Punisher appearances, ever! :headbang:

Anything Garth Ennis has written. (worship)

Ennis is good. I actually have alot of his books going up for sale. I know shameless plug.

But seriously, his punisher was just the way Frank Castle was meant to be (worship)

L

I am no condition conscious collector but eye-appeal has always been more important to me than true condition so some 8.5's look as good as some 9.2's. Some of my books have back cover defects and I like to buy those.

Good luck with your quest. (thumbs u

Atom Age comics with chunks out of the bc rule :headbang:

My collection focus for the last year or so has been focusing on comics I read as a young kid in the early - mid 70s, so the list starts there.

1. DC 20 cent covers, especially Superhero but would like to have all titles. Target grade is 8.0 - 9.0.

2. DC Neal Adams books - especially Batman - Tec issues. Target 7.0 - 9.0

3. Master Comics with Raboy covers. I do not own one yet as I missed a few in 2008; however, this is the year! Target grade = whatever is affordable with tight staples and decent cover appeal.

4. Impulse buys - can't avoid 'em

HG Vault of Horrors and secondarily other ECs

But I don't really have focus, also want GA Caps, a few more Actions, at least one Tec and Adventure. The Timely MMs are awesome.

Pre-code horror in general.

SA early X-men.

I don't know focus seems overrated. I'd rather have some eclectic bad- mess.

Once I start making some money this year and start having to choose between books, I get a little more focus.

I'm the king of focus, I only buy comics that have a date written in pen on the cover. The problem with focus is the fact that it an be limiting and therefore frustrating. There is not a single day that has gone by in the last month that I haven't thought about selling it all and buying only GA Timelys, but I'm a:) chicken b:) realize that if I got bored with Gold there is nothing left for me in this hobby and c:) the grass ain't always greener on the other side.

Jim