• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's award season! Let's celebrate the worst of Golden Age anatomy!
1 1

97 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Gotta respect this being the first Simon and Kirby collaboration, but what a disappointing cover. This blue bolt guy is supposed to be dramatically busting thru a wall, but all I see is a 2 dimensional image, totally devoid of a sense of action or drama. 

848DD2CF-2170-408A-840E-35CFFFB1F241.jpeg

I’ve seen the cover attributed to Larry Antonette, whose art I was analyzing earlier today actually. There’s also a William E. Rowland listed in Jerry Bails’ Who’s Who as if being a real person and not a pen name though, so I’m not sure.

Edited by Electricmastro

Was looking at a thread in the General Forum and for the life of me, simply couldn't figure out if there was any difference between bad GA anatomy and the ones from the 90's:  :insane:  lol

On 9/22/2020 at 9:20 PM, William-James88 said:

You don't say ... 

X-Men #8 w/ Swimsuit Psylocke, Cyclops and Jean by Jim Lee, in Yehoy Lee's  Jim Lee Comic Art Gallery Room

Psylocke by Jim Lee, in David L.'s Lee, Jim Comic Art Gallery Room

Shout out to Jim Lee for using any excuse possible to get Psylocke in a  swimsuit. - 9GAG

And the best one!

X-Men Swimsuit Issue | Jim lee art, Comics artwork, Comics

Edited by lou_fine

As ambitious as George Tukel was, he seemed to always have trouble with drawing anatomy, particularly the eyes. It’s as if he could never figure out how to convincingly portray someone facing forward without awkwardly making them look like some bug-eyed alien (Blue Beetle #25, September 1943):

nMoMbUn.jpg

Fpp1e4U.jpg

mVWlJMv.jpg

ifD97zA.jpg

Source: CB+

Edited by Electricmastro

Gill Fox, ...ironically he'd be known for well composed Torchy GGA later in the decade, but his early '40s hero covers ...with rare exception... stank.

In spite of having a great eye for art talent, "Busy" Arnold seemed to like Fox's stiff, wooden covers even on Quality's more realistically themed comic characters.  

IMO, this is the weakest cover of this series; most were done by Lou Fine or Reed Crandall. Go figure... (shrug)

edited-image_zpsmwybmmtt.png.cb7de663d0b1f75c96cd2887fcb72121.png