• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Craigslist buying...

9 posts in this topic

So, I put out a fishing line on Craigslist in my area, regarding comics. I made sure to note that I didn't want any books post-1990, mostly interested in 70's and earlier. After sorting through the transexxual spam and 409 scams, I had a few real sellers. One was a really earnest lady who had a stack of books, but after I talked to her on the phone for a while I had to lay down some knowledge on her. She had a bunch of late 70's/early 80's books, and all were worthless other than her G.I Joe #2. I tried to tell her that her idea of 'NM' is vastly different than mine. She was like, "Well, this book is over 20 years old, and the cover is attatched", to which I replied, "Lady, I can bring you a book that's fifty years old, in mint condition, with white pages!"

I wound up counseling her on how to sell her GI Joe #2 for a good profit.

So anyway, here's what this guy wants to sell to me:

Marvel - Capt. America issue 110

Capt.America issue 118

Capt. America issue 160

Good Condition

Marvel - Conan issue 11

Good Condition

DC - Tarzan issue 226

Good Condition

Marvel - Spiderman issue 14

Good Condition

DC - SGT ROCK issue 209

Good Condition

DC - The Loosers issue 137

Good Condition

Charlton - Fighting Army issue 102

Good Condition

Charlton - Attack issue 6

Good Condition

Marvel - Dr. Strange issue 12

Good Condition

Archie Series - issue #'s 76 , 104 , 138 , 141 , 152 , 175 , 197 , 213

Fair Condition - 9 other issues missing covers

Harvey - Casper issue 141

Good Condition

Denise the Menace - not for resale , free with purchase of Caladryl 1970

Gold Key - The Twilight Zone issue 27

Good Condition

Whitman - Grimm's Ghost Stories issue 11 , Believe IT or Not issue 42 , Doctor Spector issue 3 , Twilight Zone issue 51 , Dark Shadows issue21

Good Condition

Marvel - Werewolf issue 13 , Werewolf issue 12 , Journey Into Mystery issue 8

Good Condition

DC - Sinister House issue 16 , Dark Mansion issue 11 , Strange Sports issue 2 , Strange Sports issue 3 , Weird War Tales issue 20

Early 70's MAD Magazines

What should I offer?

Early 70's MAD Magazines

What issues?

What should I offer?

If it was me I'd offer 15 dollars. And that's just for novelty. Sadly even that amount would probably make them think you are insulting them. (shrug)

You're kind of in a trap. Offering them higher avoids the headache of not having to reassure them you're not insulting them. But then, you end up over spending.

Why would you even bother buying that stuff? If you plan on buying collections you will get enough filler material anyways. Make sure you get some nice books in every collection to make it worthwhile to take stuff like that, keys or high grade in demand books.

Also try to buy collections that are of a decent size as you will get them cheaper and may have less competition. Also you have to justify your time vs the value you are getting. You would probably be negative in value after you spend the time going to pick up the books and trying to work out a deal.

PS- Even thought I know the spiderman book will turn out to be peter parker I would just check to make sure its not amazing #14. Ask if any of the books have 12cent cover prices and if they do which ones to not give away which book you are paying attention to.

Bruce

Craigslist is always an adventure.

I also put in my ads that I'm only looking for comics 1979 and earlier, but no one pays any attention to that. I still get emails from people with tons of modern drek. My favorites are where they tell me that their collection is worth thousands of dollars according to whatever price guide they are using (usually the 9.4 values on comicspriceguide.com), but that they are willing to sell me their 7 long boxes of 90's drek for around half that amount. lol Many times they will end their emails with something like, "I know what these are worth, so don't try to offer me dealer prices!" I usually let them know that my LCS would actually offer more than me at $15 to $20 a long box.

As far as what you should offer on the books you are thinking about, I would echo others sentiments and pass on these books.

I didn't write that list out, so that's not a comics afficionado's grading, that's what the dude graded them as. I haven't seen them yet (and he hasn't replied back since he sent me that list). I think I'll take everyone's advice and pass. I put out that Craigslist ad because I live in southern (rural) Alabama, not exactly a hotbed of comics activity (or any kind of worthwhile activity, for that matter). You never know, some redneck might be sitting on his pappy's Edgar Church-style collection. :P