• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk 181 CGC 9.9
1 1

65 posts in this topic

I think some dude from the Aloha state owns it.

Nik is correct. I remember seeing the pic as well, two guys holding the 9.9, just cant' find the pic of it right now. I remember thinking how young they seemed to be, with that kindof book on their hands.

Nik is correct. I remember seeing the pic as well, two guys holding the 9.9, just cant' find the pic of it right now. I remember thinking how young they seemed to be, with that kindof book on their hands.

It's a Bronze Age book of a character that became popular in the 80's and 90's - how old should they be, 70?

So we were discussing the topic of 9.9 and 10.0 books, and someone asked if Hulk 181 ever broke the 9.8 barrier.

Shockingly enough, there is one 9.9 now in the census. Let me guess, The Dentist owns it, right?

Now you ruined my day.............................I am so jealous........Red cover book on that era that is a 9.9. I smell a rat..................

Now you ruined my day.............................I am so jealous........Red cover book on that era that is a 9.9. I smell a rat..................

I knew you would fall over into the "dying cockroach" pose when you read this.

I do believe the owner lived in Hawaii. I had heard he was bringing it to San Diego to have people Ohhh and Ahhhh over it years ago. Can't remember if he was taking offers on the book though.

Can you imagine? What price do you even shoot for with a book of that caliber? If a 9.8 has sold as high as $25K, what could a 9.9 bring in?

I highly doubt the 9.9 would sell for 50K. The seller would tell the person to go home and come back with a real offer. I would say it would sell for $75 - 85K range. Anyone who paid that for a 9.9 181 is either crazy and or very rich... I'd dump it and go for the lowly 9.8 and other assorted book's...

I do believe the owner lived in Hawaii. I had heard he was bringing it to San Diego to have people Ohhh and Ahhhh over it years ago. Can't remember if he was taking offers on the book though.

The book was originally graded by Ideal Collectibles back in or around 2001-2002. That book was on sale at SD 2001 or 2002 for around $25K. Book was sold to one of their customers who then sold it to another person who lived in Hawaii. That person also owns/owned the Iron Man & Sub-mariner 1 CGC 9.9.

Those 2 books were on loan to Ideal when they went back to SD in around 2004 or 2005.

Ideal then sold off all their CGC books to some investor so they are essentially out of that market.

Sooo ... the Iron Man #1 CGC 9.9 and the Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 9.9 are both owned by a bunch of Yugioh nerds ? :o
They used to owned them but sold them years ago. :P
Plus, they had 2 copies of Iron 1 in CGC 9.9. One was definitely better than the other one.

If I had that book I'd sell it in a minute, buy a 9.8, and add alot of other key books to my collection...

Yep, this 9.9 and 10.0 stuff is just pure stupidity - maybe, and just maybe, there is a chance that a perfect book would make it to CGC's HQ, but after their staff opens the package, removes the book, and places it in a labeled Mylar, their graders inspect the cover, do a page count, and examine each of the interior pages for stains, tape, rips, etc.,, and then their encapsulation staff places the book in the well, heat-seals it and sets it in the plastic slab, I cannot understand how it could ever be "perfect".

Too much handling, too many hands - it's physically impossible.

I smell a rat.....................JC you are on your game.................It has to be restored and trimmed with some laser beam not yet discovered. Impossible to get a 9.9 with that much handling. From Manufacturer to distributor to comic store to buyer holding it and putting it in a bag after he buys it to putting it in mylar and a backing board and numerous owners over 34 years and then someone shipping it to CGC where 7 more people without gloves hold it again.....for grading. Is Ideal C on the boards.............

Edited by jduran1