• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,699 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, jeranimal said:

I'm surprised this is still under $30,000.  There must be a bias for Heritage Auctions that makes people  believe their items are more valuable, and I don't mean the buyers/seller's premiums.  Ebay is a do-it-yourself platform that doesn't translate to high-priced items, it appears.  Maybe because HA has the items in-hand and they certify them.

That said, I think this ends at $33-35K. 

Edited by GM8

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

HA has wealthy people they call on and try to get interested in premium items like this.  People who may not even be comic book collectors, particularly foreign investors/collectors. Basically investors who would never even search eBay from something like this.

Thats the real value they add, more potential bidders with far bigger wallets.

2 hours ago, GM8 said:

I'm surprised this is still under $30,000.  There must be a bias for Heritage Auctions that makes people  believe their items are more valuable, and I don't mean the buyers/seller's premiums.  Ebay is a do-it-yourself platform that doesn't translate to high-priced items, it appears.  Maybe because HA has the items in-hand and they certify them.

That said, I think this ends at $33-35K. 

I hope the auction stays right where it is...B|

image.png.b4a0fa4570ae2931b9d48516eb1fefe6.png

Mwahahahaha! 

Final sale of 9.6: $14,340.  A step down certainly from the $26K we saw late last year on the other HA auction (note that sale was White pages, this most recent one was OW/W but that doesn't account for the difference).  That one looks to be an outlier.  The real value of the 9.6 is somewhere around $12-15K.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/alternative-underground/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-96-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7177-91319.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Final sale of 9.8: $35,850.  A 19% jump in price from the recent $30.1K sale on Ebay and more in line with what we'd expect between 9.6 and 9.8 values.  Going forward look for sales ranges between these two numbers $30-36K.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/alternative-underground/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7177-91318.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by GM8

My upper limit bid on that TMNT #1 CGC  9.8 was $28K w/o BP (second highest bid).  Someone went a step higher.  Sadly, it may be a few years before another 9.8 pops up, though you never know. I won the 9.6 and really did not expect it to take off to 20K+. I agree that the OW-W pages shouldn’t account for a $12K price differential; however, it could be possible that someone thought they saw something in the previous auction to merit that price (I.e. a press job that could bump up the grade).  I think the range for 9.6s are in the neighborhood of $12-15K.  The 9.6 I won presents good enough for me.  One day I’ll add a 9.8 ;-)

1 hour ago, cmzare said:

My upper limit bid on that TMNT #1 CGC  9.8 was $28K w/o BP (second highest bid).  Someone went a step higher.  Sadly, it may be a few years before another 9.8 pops up, though you never know. I won the 9.6 and really did not expect it to take off to 20K+. I agree that the OW-W pages shouldn’t account for a $12K price differential; however, it could be possible that someone thought they saw something in the previous auction to merit that price (I.e. a press job that could bump up the grade).  I think the range for 9.6s are in the neighborhood of $12-15K.  The 9.6 I won presents good enough for me.  One day I’ll add a 9.8 ;-)

I think you got the market price, congrats, and it was probably kept lower because of the 9.8 also for sale. I agree that the 9.6 that sold for $26K was likely a press candidate, the description said it was "hidden away in a bedroom for many years."  Although it doesn't say that it wasn't pressed - and the premium paid is a big risk to take the chance. I guess the only way to know is to follow the CGC # (1294883001) and see if it gets removed from the database and a new signed 9.8 comes forward.

53 minutes ago, loboagain said:

Based on the two recent sales of TMNT #1, what range does a 9.2 & 9.4 fall into?

Recent 9.2 sales I don't have, although there is one current listing on comic connect here: 

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=748691

Recent 9.4 sales I have a few, $10,500 on 12/6/17, $8250 on 12/17/17, and $10,300 on 1/5/18.  That range is fair value in my opinion. 

How much has this book grown in the lower grades (7-8.5 or so) over the past year? Have these moved up in price considerably or is it mostly the higher grades? I think I saw an 8.0 or 8.5 sell for around $5500-$6000 on the boards recently but I can't find the post in the copper for sale forum. 

Edited by rsouxlja7

6 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

How much has this book grown in the lower grades (7-8.5 or so) over the past year? Have these moved up in price considerably or is it mostly the higher grades? I think I saw an 8.0 or 8.5 sell for around $5500-$6000 on the boards recently but I can't find the post in the copper for sale forum. 

Yeah I'll stick with my 8.0 I can't play with the whales around here.