• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2 Black Lanterns revealed - spoileris

60 posts in this topic

No - this will be DCs swipe of Marvel Zombies! lol

BTW, has the storyline with GL Ash been moved along anywhere? The last time we saw him he was heading to find the Anti-Monitor, who is now a battery?

No - this will be DCs swipe of Marvel Zombies! lol

BTW, has the storyline with GL Ash been moved along anywhere? The last time we saw him he was heading to find the Anti-Monitor, who is now a battery?

No new panels on that front in either book.

I know the topic has went in a new direction but doesn't this 'Black Lantern' concept just seem like another way to lazily bring back characters that should not have been killed in the first place?

Yes.

Many of the people I've talked about this story line (not that i've taken a formal poll or anything) all think that the BL/BN story is just going to turn into a vehicle to get E2 Supes, MM, maybe Conner and other popular dead characters back to life.

I don't think that's going to be the main purpose of the story but I think it will be an unfortunate byproduct. I hope to be proven wrong.

I know the topic has went in a new direction but doesn't this 'Black Lantern' concept just seem like another way to lazily bring back characters that should not have been killed in the first place?

Yes.

Many of the people I've talked about this story line (not that i've taken a formal poll or anything) all think that the BL/BN story is just going to turn into a vehicle to get E2 Supes, MM, maybe Conner and other popular dead characters back to life.

I don't think that's going to be the main purpose of the story but I think it will be an unfortunate byproduct. I hope to be proven wrong.

I concur.

Bring them back as a "dead" character, let them bring some power to the Black Lantern side, and then keep them dead.

I read Countdown, but I forgot what happened to the Black Superman. Anyone remember? I recall that he was out by the Source wall.

Pat

If I wanted to catch up on the current Green Lantern storyline, which back issues do I need to read?

I'm guessing: FC: Rage of the Red Lanterns would be one... what other books?

Rage of the Red Lanterns is a good backdrop on Atrocitus and his motivations for hating Sinestro and seeing the creation of the Red Lantern Corps.

The recent GL Secret Origins story is a good retcon that puts 'backstory' about the BN prophecy into Hal's origin.

There are panels in GLC that reference the ongoing changes to the Book of Oa but the majority of the colour spectrum Corps stories are in the main GL title.

Starting with the Sinestro Corps War and the Secret Origins trades and just picking up the GL title from there will let you see absolutely everything that's going on: the motivations for the changes to the Book of Oa, the various Guardians and their motivations, the new Lanterns.

Also, you could probably wiki it.

Yes.

I concur.

Bring them back as a "dead" character, let them bring some power to the Black Lantern side, and then keep them dead.

I read Countdown, but I forgot what happened to the Black Superman. Anyone remember? I recall that he was out by the Source wall.

Pat

Didnt he die fighting Superboy Prime on the GL plant Mogo? It was him and the regular Superman vs Superboy Prime.

Yes.

Won't they need to use it to bring Batman back after the Final Crisis up? lol

Seriously, though, I do not think they are using it to bring back characters. My guess is that this will establish Hal as some sort of Super-Lantern that can control the entire spectrum of light. My hope is that the Black Lanterns will actually kill off a bunch of deadbeat characters while they are in town. :wishluck:

Any dead DC character is up for grabs basically with the Black Lanterns.

If you look up the Sinestro War conclusion there's a preview of all the Lantern colors, and I know the individual colors have been discussed by Johns and Sciver...

Orange is greed

Blue is hope

Purple is love

Red is hate/rage

Green is willpower

Yellow is fear

Black is death

and don't forget about White..... I'm sure that will be something that comes up at the end of Blackest Night

I'm not a huge 'Modern Comics' kind of guy, especially standard superhero fare, but this seems interesting. I may need to investigate the newest series further... ;)

Yes.

I concur.

Pat

Didnt he die fighting Superboy Prime on the GL plant Mogo? It was him and the regular Superman vs Superboy Prime.

The Superman that died against Superboy Prime was the Earth-2 Superman. That's the one everyone is mentioning above as returning as a Black Lantern.

The Black-suited Superman (more accurately descripted) was in Countdown as an arrogant and super-powerful villain. I thought he was also brought from another Earth. I'll have to take a look at the Countdown issues and get a re-fresher.

Pat

Yes.

Won't they need to use it to bring Batman back after the Final Crisis up? lol

Seriously, though, I do not think they are using it to bring back characters. My guess is that this will establish Hal as some sort of Super-Lantern that can control the entire spectrum of light. My hope is that the Black Lanterns will actually kill off a bunch of deadbeat characters while they are in town. :wishluck:

Oh I've got a long list of characters I'd like to see some BLs nuke.

Like I said though, I doubt this is a vehicle designed only to bring back dead characters, I just think it's likely we'll see one or two as an unfortunate by product of the story.

I'm also hoping they don't turn Hal into the Super-Lantern. I'd much rather see a convergence of individuals from each Corps rather than a single figure.

Yes.

I concur.

Pat

The Superman that died against Superboy Prime was the Earth-2 Superman. That's the one everyone is mentioning above as returning as a Black Lantern.

The Black-suited Superman (more accurately descripted) was in Countdown as an arrogant and super-powerful villain. I thought he was also brought from another Earth. I'll have to take a look at the Countdown issues and get a re-fresher.

Pat

The black suited Superman if I am correct is an aged Superboy Prime

It says in the pic in the first post 'Earth-2 Superman' so I don't know about that, but any character's identity is uncertain I'm sure.

I like how at the end of GL 37 Hal's wearing both the green and red rings. I've been enjoying this story immensely since I rarely go deep into the superhero end of the pool these days. But one thing bugged me. Sinestro and a number of other characters had been crucified on Ysmault, literally nailed into the lantern-shaped constructs, with big friggin' nails, by the Reds. But when they capture Hal Jordan they manage to find a Y-shaped tree branch and tie him to it with rope? What's that about?

I was so bummed out when I saw that this OA sold already:

14and15.jpg

Blood barfarama