• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Knight- shut out of the biggies

105 posts in this topic

I'm really surprised it's done this well in nominations, but whether they transalte into awards is another thing.

It's a fabulous movie no question, but it's genre is never an academy favourite...putting it mildly :cry:

the reader scored a whopping 58 on metacritic. those academy mummies love those holocaust movies.

This movie did NOT deserve a Best Pic or Director nomination, and other than Ledger and the usual FX/sound categories, what were you hoping for?

My big surprise was the near-shutout of Revolutionary Road, which was viewed as a shoo-in for Winslet and Best Actress. Truly bizarre, and I guess they really don't want to ever let her win an Oscar.

That's because the movie sucks. Heath is the best thing in it but beyond that it is nearly unwatchable. I've been saying this since it came out.

FLAME ON. I don't care

Eight nominations clearly made your point. That's why it didn't get the best picture nod like all those good comic book movies.

I agree it is not the best movie - I don't even know if I'll watch it a second time - but using the Oscars to prove your point doesn't quite work.

Robert Downey Jr. getting nominated for a goofy comedy, now that was surprising.

what is a bigger sin is that Clint was shut out for a Best Actor nomination and Gran Torino for Best Picture. Not even a nod for Director and he had a cast of no-bodys. Ah well.

The ONLY good acting in Gran Torino was Eastwood. The rest was like a B rated movie which is a shame. I still enjoyed it...I just had to block out Toad's bad acting.

DKR was a pretty good movie but I disagree with giving Ledger a consolation nod...the guy was good in the movie and worthy of an Oscar nod.

R.

That's because the movie sucks. Heath is the best thing in it but beyond that it is nearly unwatchable. I've been saying this since it came out.

FLAME ON. I don't care

Eight nominations clearly made your point. That's why it didn't get the best picture nod like all those good comic book movies.

I agree it is not the best movie - I don't even know if I'll watch it a second time - but using the Oscars to prove your point doesn't quite work.

Robert Downey Jr. getting nominated for a goofy comedy, now that was surprising.

Yeah, I never watched it a second time and I have no desire to either. It was tough to sit through. I am one of the few people who didn't like the Joker in this one either. Ledger was pretty good but they didn't write the Joker nearly as charismatic as he should be. Nicholson's joker was better in that regard. IMO

DKR was a pretty good movie but I disagree with giving Ledger a consolation nod...the guy was good in the movie and worthy of an Oscar nod.

Hardly, and I actually enjoyed the Harvey Dent/Two-Face sequences better and if Eckhart had OD'ed instead, he'd probably be picking up all the posthumous awards.

Hardly, and I actually enjoyed the Harvey Dent/Two-Face sequences better and if Eckhart had OD'ed instead, he'd probably be picking up all the posthumous awards.

Well then I'm happy to dis-agree with you as I had a hard time accepting the fact that Two-Face was anything more than a hollywood ploy to get more people to watch the movie, just like venom was in S 3. For me Ledger stole the show.

R.

Does being that big of a come naturally, or do you have to work at it? :shy:

Hey, I just believe people should be rewarded for their work, not just because they died.

I thought his performance was incredible. Well worthy of an oscar nomination, alive or dead. But I can understand how some people wouldn't appreciate it.

I do have trouble understanding how *you* never appreciate *anything*, hence why I asked if it was just an act for you.

If it is, JC, you deserve the oscar nod, because you're the best there is at what you do. :luhv:

FLAME ON. I don't care

I tried watching it a few weeks ago and couldnt even finish it, thought it was bad also. Though, I've never really cared for superhero movies, seem too cheezy.

Not for me, and not for an instant did it look anything less than Ledger with some make-up on, and I think a lot of kudos tossed his way should be given to the writing team for supplying him with so many good lines and sequences.

Dark Knight was a very well-written movie, which is surprising for a funny book -script.

Due to this, the role is almost interchangeable with many different actors and I fail to see this "Heath made the Joker his own/he disappeared into the role/he stole the movie" kind of delusion.

FLAME ON. I don't care

well, you're from texas. you know suck.

I'm not from Texas and thought the movie suked also :shy: