• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,377 posts in this topic

Very nice! Keep it up!

I keep a spreadsheet of TMNT vol. 1. It shows me the issue numbers, the top census grade for each issue, and how many copies of that top grade there are. I was updating the spreadsheet for the first time in a few months earlier today and I noticed that submissions for the first 9 issues really went up. 9.8's for 2, 3, and 4 increased pretty drastically...about 10 each or so just within the last few months and there's even been a second Universal 9.8 #9 found. At the beginning of the year, there weren't any 9.8's, now there are 3!

There was a #2 9.8 at the beginning of the year that sold for $700 on Ebay. I think that spiked submissions at least for that issue. Do you think it could have caused increased submissions for some of the other early issues? Is there any other reason submissions may have spiked?

Those are some interesting stats. Thanks for sharing!!

I don't think I showed this one, yet. I thought it was cool since the remark is not of a turtle...possibly a first on a TMNT comic. lol Here's a quick Chang Lee sketch that Mark Bode was gracious enough to add for me.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles18SSChangL.jpg

Some may disagree, but I am involved with enough TMNT fan message boards to feel comfortable with this assumption.

Due to the fact there is a new movie in the works BASED on the TMNT comics, the potential interest for the comics will rise during the prime of the movie's marketing.

I have come across many collector's who are collecting the series for this same reason.

Also, anyone who sees such a high price sale of a book such as the 9.8 #2 will now make the efforts to acquire the same (as I have) to make a considerable profit. In the past year I have bought 4 #2 1st prints. Many of which being from the $30-50 price range. A couple being of at least 9.6 potential (without the works of possible enhancements to increase that to 9.8). Anytime you can find a small gold mine of turning $50 to $700, its a worthwhile adventure for anyone in this field.

I myself am in it for the enjoyment of collecting this series. But being involved with the background of the series and it's potential, I make these EXTRA investments to make my money back on collecting the series. I must say everything I've done so far has been worth my while.

I may be selling myself short be divulging this information but it doesn't bother me. The key target buyer isn't coming here, it's eBay. But maybe this info will make others decide to do the same as I? That's ok! I wish all the best, as this has been lots of fun.

But I'm sure this same concept could work for any popular series.

Very nice! Keep it up!

I keep a spreadsheet of TMNT vol. 1. It shows me the issue numbers, the top census grade for each issue, and how many copies of that top grade there are. I was updating the spreadsheet for the first time in a few months earlier today and I noticed that submissions for the first 9 issues really went up. 9.8's for 2, 3, and 4 increased pretty drastically...about 10 each or so just within the last few months and there's even been a second Universal 9.8 #9 found. At the beginning of the year, there weren't any 9.8's, now there are 3!

There was a #2 9.8 at the beginning of the year that sold for $700 on Ebay. I think that spiked submissions at least for that issue. Do you think it could have caused increased submissions for some of the other early issues? Is there any other reason submissions may have spiked?

:whistle:

Very nice! Keep it up!

There's a lot to be whistling about...which part in particular? (shrug)

Very nice! Keep it up!

There's a lot to be whistling about...which part in particular? (shrug)

I've graded a lot of issues lately.

Anyone know if Heavy Metal/Kevin Eastman will be making an appearance at the New York Comic Con?

I bought my tickets a few weeks ago just to see him + get autographs. I've never been to a comic con before (as a buyer or fan), so I feel kind of weird going there for just that one reason (makes me feel like a stalker).

If he's not there - that will surely ruin my day/weekend.

-Pete

please just make sure you wear some deodorant and some clean clothes...

every time i go to some kind of comic / video game / hobby convention - i feel like i will pass out.

rantrant

Anyone know if Heavy Metal/Kevin Eastman will be making an appearance at the New York Comic Con?

I bought my tickets a few weeks ago just to see him + get autographs. I've never been to a comic con before (as a buyer or fan), so I feel kind of weird going there for just that one reason (makes me feel like a stalker).

-Pete

Very nice! Keep it up!

I hope...though I doubt....that CGC keeps census "snapshots" throughout time. It always fascinates me to see how many existed in what grade *at a specific moment in time*, and I fear that information may be lost forever, except for tiny spots here and there for specific books, like yours.

please just make sure you wear some deodorant and some clean clothes...

every time i go to some kind of comic / video game / hobby convention - i feel like i will pass out.

rantrant

-Pete

yes, stinky people are no fun, it is a tad overwhelming, I went for all 3 days last year and realized that I only need one to accomplish all I wanted. Take in some screenings and events..

Hi everyone :) I am browsing the net and i found your forum. My husband has a huge collection of TMNT he collected when he was younger. He hoped to pass it down to our son but we are in need of money and I am looking to sell. He is not happy because he worked really hard on his collection. I am here for advice, Is Ebay a good way to sell the comics? Just to name a few he has issue #1 3rd print autographed #2 1st print autographed #3 1st print autographed ,4,5,6,7,8,9 and so on all autographed and 1st print. Turtlemania, Raphael, fugitoid, MichaelAngelo, and so on single books all autographed. He has too many for me to list here also the books or novels all autographed. I am here to ask where should we sell the books? They are not graded I am not sure we want to get them graded but my judgement they are in excellent condition aside from the pages turning an off white color over the years. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Many of the books you listed tend to only have value in the 9.6 (NM+) to 9.8 (NM/M range). Scans or pictures would definitely help determine the value.

That said, the #1 3rd print in NM+ condition could fetch over $100 if graded at 9.6, probably $50 or less if graded anything less than that. At $50 or less, grading fees would likely eat up your earning potential. Ungraded, I'd probably estimate somewhere between $15 and $30.

The #2 1st print could be worth a few hundred if graded in 9.8, but less than $100 otherwise. Ungraded will likely be in the $20-$30 dollar range unless the book looks completely flawless in the pictures.

It starts to go down from there, but certain issues will be valuable in high grade. #9 and Raphael would net some good money if truly flawless (basically in 9.8 condition). Others like #8 and #10 are pretty common and would likely net about $5 each ungraded.

Some people prefer signed comics in their collection only if graded under the Signature Series label of CGC. Since your signatures weren't witnessed by a CGC employee, your books wouldn't qualify. Some collectors would still find the books appealing. Are they signed on the inside or on the covers of the books?

We need pictures, but to sum it up, don't consider grading them unless the signatures are on the inside of the book and even then, only grade the first 4-5 issues if they're in 9.6-9.8 condition. You can likely still get a good price without grading if you put up clear scans. There aren't a ton of TMNT fans here on the boards that don't already have the books you listed, but if you post your books here, people would be happy to help, I'm sure. I'm betting ebay would be the best place for these.

Thanks for the information! The signatures are on the inside. When he was younger he took his entire collection to a Comic Con and Eastman was excited that he had such a large collection signed everything :) One more question if I may, Is there anything that is the most rare? Maybe I can check his collection and just sell the most rare and let him keep his happy collection. Thanks again for your knowledge!