• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,377 posts in this topic

lol! I didn't know Michelangelo took style notes from Todd McFarlane's Spider-man! Haha! Amazing commission! I love the color. Is that watercolor or...?

yes, watercolor. i think Mikey got his skills from Daredevil. *hint*

the thing is huge, 18x20? maybe a little bigger if i remember correctly.

Edited by PeasOfCrap

Just won a Turtlemania Special #1 and while flipping through the thing I found out it was really a fan based project! lol. Pretty interesting. What I really love about it was the explanation of the NY "variant" and of course the printing numbers. Really cool stuff. And the fact that a fan based project is in of itself a huge collectible commodity is definitely interesting. hm

That isn't ENTIRELY true. Turtlemania was produced by the proprietor of a small shop in Florida at the time called Metropolis comics. He put on an intensely small convention that the book was sold at. Kevin and Peter were monetarily compensated for their contribution, so I don't know that I'd really call it a fan project.

I'm confused, was it put together by Kevin and Peter or by Mirage Studios? Then isn't it the definition of a fan project since it wasn't , even if it was "authorized"?

If you consider licensed products "fan products"...then sure? Usually fan projects aren't put together by established businesses and then sold for profit.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

Lost a 9.4 Turtlemania 9.4 on eBay today for $142. :( Disappointing.

Were you the seller or the underbidder?

archon, frames look great but aren't you worried about the covers fading?

That wall sees no direct sunlight, and CGC slabs are fairly UV resistant as it is.

And frankly, If being able to enjoy my books as art rather than having them squirreled away in dark boxes means the risk of cover fade over their lifetime... then so be it.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

Lost a 9.4 Turtlemania 9.4 on eBay today for $142. :( Disappointing.

Were you the seller or the underbidder?

Underbidder. In fact the book had a BIN option of $140 and while I contemplated hitting the BIN someone bid on the book and the BIN option disappeared. So it was a snippers game and my $140 snip just wasn't enough for me to win the book from a third bidder. :sorry:

Whats up with the two signed #3's? I know there's a third that is the NYCC, but what about the other two? Is one of them double cover, or one has PL and the other has KE ?

-Pete

Whats up with the two signed #3's? I know there's a third that is the NYCC, but what about the other two? Is one of them double cover, or one has PL and the other has KE ?

-Pete

The first one is a regular copy (SS'ed by Kevin)

The second is the NYCC variant

The third is the Double Cover (SS'ed by Kevin)

Edited by Archon_Turtle

That really does look great. The best way to display CGC comics. Nice job. What are the grades on the comics?

9.6, 7.0 (due to a small spine split), 9.4

7.0, 9.4, 9.4

9.2, 9.0, 8.0, 9.4

Not a grade chaser, too many games and politics. I'm a have it or not kinda guy.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

yeah, there's a lot of stuff where I'm a have it or not kinda guy too. Because I've had to compromise with my wife on the size of my collection, I tend to go for quality in most cases since I'm limited on what I can display. Certain things like that Turtlemania Gold though are exceptions because I would take a CGC 1.0 just to have one.

Point of interest:

I can confirm that the person who purchased the Turtlemania Gold 9/10 (he also purchased a high grade white and silver at the same time) is the same buyer that purchased the set of Gobbledygooks for 16k not too long ago...

I want his checkbook.

What are you referring to? The recently finished Pedigree auction?

So I got my Turtlemania Gold Proof from Doug at Pedigree.

Cue dance: :banana:

Here are a few photos.

photo7.png

photo6.png

photo5.png

photo4.png

photo3.png

photo2.png

photo.png

What I find really amazing is that the inside cover is also proofed. I can't believe the auction didn't state this.

Even more interesting is the text in the editorial section of the inside cover (which I cannot believe I have never notice before), clearly explaining the print runs, "Note: Turtlemania was produced in 3 editions--Regular: 3,000 with white cover, Silver: #1-100 - autographed, Gold: 10 only - autographed and with original sketch on back cover. Sorry, Gold edition sold out!"

:grin: