• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,377 posts in this topic

Do you all know each other? ...Like in real life? :shy:

Seriously, your collection is insane. I got to ask, why go for all of them and not just a couple of favorites? Or are ALL of them your favorites? :popcorn:

I've met a couple of the regular posters in this thread in person before and have had some PM conversations with many others. I've found that TMNT collectors seem to be among the most down-to-earth in the whole hobby.

As for collecting the whole set, originally I was only interested in getting the issues that Eastman and Laird worked on. That essentially gave me 1-12, the one-shots, Return to New York, and issue 50. Issue 50 started the City at War storyline, which is an Eastman & Laird Story, so I decided to go after issues 51-62. City at War got me interested in A.C. Farley's art, which included a few more issues. Michael Dooney's art has always been appealing to me, which included a few more. The River storyline is a great 3-issue arc, so why not. Zulli had a great arc. On and on and on.

By the time I was done, I was omitting very few issues and didn't much see the point of ignoring them. I don't think I'll ever do the same for TMNT volume 2-4 or Tales volume 2, so in that respect, I guess I am limiting it. lol

Your post reminded me that I haven't posted these yet:

TurtlemaniaSilverProofWatermarked.jpg

TurtlemaniaSilverSampleWatermarked.jpg

They're in fantastic condition.

They sure are! Thanks for sharing.

Can you see the indent of the signatures in the silver paper? I love stuff like that, the actual pressing of the pen to the paper.

How do you plan on preserving/showcasing them? I am currently going over options for the Gold proof; I'm curious to see what you think or advise.

(worship) Peter Palmer's collection

:acclaim: Thank you! It's been a labor of love.

So lets see em' Adam!

All one picture or it didn't happen :baiting:

lol

A group shot of the entire run has definitely been on my mind, but I'm not sure I've got a good spot to really set these out and snap a good photo. Doesn't mean it won't happen, just means I haven't figured it out yet. hm

In the mean time, I have taken a few pictures of some mini-runs from Volume 1. Some of these look cool together thanks to the similar cover styles:

Return to New York. If ANYONE finds a raw copy of #21 in nice shape, PLEASE let me know. The 9.0 is new to my collection and was the best copy I've ever found and the only copy graded so far, which should tell you something. In any case, I'm happy to have this storyline completed. It's got some awesome moments and is one of my favorite TMNT storylines.

100_6506.jpg

The River. A cool story by Rick Veitch featuring the mutant leech Bloodsucker. Mutant animal enemies was a common premise in the original TMNT cartoon, but it wasn't nearly as common in the comics. The #24 in the picture is the only 9.8 on the census and the #26 is the only 9.8 Signature Series copy on the census.

100_6510.jpg

Soul's Winter/Souls Withering. This is Michael Zulli's take on the TMNT and a very unique one at that. The story is great but in my eyes is exceeded by the artwork. I've currently got these displayed in CGC frames on the wall. The #35 is freshly back from CGC and is the only graded copy on the census.

100_6504.jpg

I remember when Return to New York came out I had a horrible time finding nice copies. Every copy that showed up on the rack had problems if I recall. I will check my boxes when I get back from vacation and see what kind of shape the copies of #21 I have are.

That's awesome, Synch, as it wasn't anywhere on my radar! Might just put that one on my Christmas list :)

They have been talking about something like this since the release info of the new series I've just been waiting for something to pop up

Just won a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 2nd print in CGC 7.0. I thought that was a pretty cool snag. :grin:

Can't wait to see it! :popcorn:

In the mean time, here's another one that came back in the last batch, a particularly tough book for some reason. Before this one, the only one on the census was a 9.0 owned at one point by our very own TMNT. For whatever reason, this is one of those books that rarely appears on ebay and when it does, it's pretty beat up.

I had been searching for this book at a lot of major shows for a few years with no luck. Finally, last summer I went to a tiny show less than 30 minutes from my house and I pulled this one out of a dollar bin. I was shocked to see that it was in such nice condition...especially given the staple placement. It gives me the idea that this particular issue was never read as opening this book with any kind of force would cause some pretty serious damage. I'm very happy to have it in my collection. :grin:

TMNT #16

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles1696.jpg

Fun Fact: Mark Martin finished this issue before Laird was able to finish issue #15, so to keep the releases on schedule, this issue came out before issue #15.

Why are the staples set like that?! :o

It's usually just a sign of a lesser quality of production. It's not that uncommon as I've had several modern books with similar staple mis-alignments...although Mirage was known to have several errors in the printing process throughout several of their issues. It's probably a safe bet that they weren't top dollar on comic production in those days.

Speaking of production flaws, here's another book that was exceedingly difficult to find in high grade. Most issues of these that I found had a horizontal bend all the way through the book. Given the uniformity of the defect in the issues I've seen, I have to assume it was some sort of printing side-effect. However, it's not in all the issues so it's not ignored by CGC.

This is the best copy I've ever found that didn't have the horizontal bend in it. If anyone can find one better, please let me know. I'm interested. This is the only one on census, so it can't be too easy to find.

TMNT #28

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles2894.jpg

The signature/sketch is from Jim Lawson. :cloud9: