• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,382 posts in this topic

The 3 variant is really hard to find only one 9.8. I think there was a 9.4 that just sold on an auction site for a pretty decent price. I was told that the auto on inside page was legit too. Someone told me that quite a few were auto'd at comic show when given out. Maybe someone else has more info on that.

Edited by mikeggg

Funny story about this #3 issue...

Some history first...Years ago before the internet (when people didn't have readily available information and pictures of these rarities for validation) this issue was known (in price guides) as "Laird's Photo in white." This was, of course, just an easy way to spot the difference between the regular and variant issue. However, TMNT collectors knew in wasn't just "Laird's Photo" that was in white but the entire light blue color layer that was omitted from the print run. However, non-TMNT collectors and comic vendors didn't necessarily know this and keyed on "Laird's Photo in white."

So, in the early 90's some guy was going around to local comic shops in my area trying to sell his copy of this "Lard's Photo in white" issue. One of the shop owners called me and asked if I'd take a look at it. When I saw the issue it was immediately apparent that the light blue layer was present on the entire cover...except for the "Laird's Photo" which did appear to be more white than light blue. But if you opened the cover, you could see the indentation / depression marks from the small eraser that was rubbed over and over and over along the "Laird's Photo" on the cover in an attempt to erase the light blue.

Kinda wish I'd have bought that issue just for a novelty but the guy wanted something like $200 for it.

I also like the one eyed turtle you got on one of them

hes just winking !

Or the mask slipped a little....

Congrats again on an awesome haul Adam!

Question...just new at this and found out today that there are multiple printings of the early Archie turtles books, including a fifth printing of #1 and #7. Does anybody even care about these things? Should I snag these as I find them. Googled it but really couldn't find anything. :sorry:

Jim

Funny you mention this. This will be one of my pet projects over the next few years...to find the multiple printings of the Archie TMNT issues.

Basically, the first 11 (maybe 12) issues had multiple printings. Sometimes the covers are slightly different (bar codes on the front - or no bar code - or Victor Gorelick Salute) between printings.

But always the legal statements on the inside note the printing number.

As for whether people care about this...typically not for the Archie stuff. There were just so many printed that they aren't that valuable and the value difference of a 1st vs. 5th printing is nil. Mostly just hard-core collectors would even care. I say snap them up as you come across them.

Question...just new at this and found out today that there are multiple printings of the early Archie turtles books, including a fifth printing of #1 and #7. Does anybody even care about these things? Should I snag these as I find them. Googled it but really couldn't find anything. :sorry:

Jim

$5 would probably be a lot for each one so I'd say don't bother

I would love to get my CGC 8.5 signed by either Peter or Kevin as a signature series. Does anyone know when they are going to be signing again? hm

Kevin's announced he'll be at Free Comic Book Day at Jetpack Comics in Rochester, NH next May.

He also has signings updates on his site kevineastmanstudios.com

The 3 variant is really hard to find only one 9.8.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles03-1stPrintNYCVariantSS.jpg

That's such a great book to get in 9.8 with white pages. I'm just saddened that it's an SS because as you may already know, it won't truly be a 9.8 in another 10 years after that sig ink has stained the pages below. I've been hunting down a universal grade for a while for this book with that rating. Congrats though all the same. It's what matters to you that's important.

Anyone know what the going rate for Laird or Eastman's sigs are? Over the last 5 years I feel like you see signed stuff from there EVERYWHERE. That's the second hesitation I have when buying SS books. It seems like it does little to improve the value since their signatures are so easy to obtain. I'd rather retain the true integrity of the book versus get an autograph that really won't be uncommon at all in another 15 years after that much more stuff gets signed. I feel like my universal books would be more valuable in that much time since I'll have a true, unstained copy of the book with nothing on the cover to obstruct from the great artwork.

I think being the only 9.8 and being SS makes the comic even more impressive at least with this particular issue. Whether the ink bleeds through or not it is still one of the most impressive tmnt books you will never have the chance to buy.

Edited by mikeggg