• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,384 posts in this topic

Well, that's a new twist. Cool little factoid.

Realistically though, do people still ask Peter (or Kevin) how many copies of #1 1st printing there were? That's been well-documented as 3K in so many places it's going to be only us die-hard fans that will ever know this. Given that Peter doesn't do many interviews or go many places that info. will not likely travel far.

Plus, I'd be willing to bet at least 3 to 4 times that many were thrown away or trashed anyway. Even with a couple hundred extra copies or so I think even 2,000 still in existence would be on the higher end.

Thanks for sharing that. Very cool stuff.

Edited by rwhorn

Here's a blast from the past, original comic book store sticker, on one of the first prints, a "well loved" copy.

Can you see the original price behind it?

Makes me wish I could go back in time :insane:

tmnt_ss_5_1_d.jpg

I would love to have that copy! I like little markings and such from the original store.

Am I the only one who misses the '80's?

I miss the 80's dearly!

I saw this just now, and my heart jumped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TMNT-1-Original-Painted-Cover-Color-Separation-/360681399955?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fa496693

:luhv:

TMNT #1 Original Painted Cover Color Separation (Red plate for cover)

If anyone here gets that, can I go to your house? :P

I miss the 80's dearly!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TMNT-1-Original-Painted-Cover-Color-Separation-/360681399955?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fa496693

It is a great piece. Unfortunately its been bouncing around between dealers lately, each of whom continue to increase asking price.

It is a great piece. Unfortunately its been bouncing around between dealers lately, each of whom continue to increase asking price.

Really? What is the lowest you remember it going for? That seems like a steal, depending on how much you love turtles, or how much you love one of your arms or legs :P

Really? What is the lowest you remember it going for? That seems like a steal, depending on how much you love turtles, or how much you love one of your arms or legs :P

2k+ then 3k+ (last month or so) and now 4k+

I miss the 80's dearly!

I'm kind of confused on this one. As described:

This is Kevin Eastman's original painting for the red color plate of the cover of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1984 Magazine) #1

If this is the original art actually used on the cover, shouldn't the price be like five digits long?

Edited by USArmyParatrooper

This is Kevin Eastman's original painting for the red color plate of the cover of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1984 Magazine) #1

If this is the original art actually used on the cover, shouldn't the price be like five digits long?

Well, that's the thing. It's not REALLY the original art to the cover; it was a piece that was used to give the published cover its red tones. The real, inked B&W cover, along with the rest of the interiors, did sell for 250K years ago so you're right about the what the true price would be.

This piece is very cool and historic and played an important role in the creation of the iconic cover. But it's not the real deal cover art....or else I'da been all over it!

Well, that's the thing. It's not REALLY the original art to the cover; it was a piece that was used to give the published cover its red tones. The real, inked B&W cover, along with the rest of the interiors, did sell for 250K years ago so you're right about the what the true price would be.

This piece is very cool and historic and played an important role in the creation of the iconic cover. But it's not the real deal cover art....or else I'da been all over it!

If you wouldn't mind, could you please elaborate on the process? In what way was it used to give it its red tones?

If it was part of the process at all, wouldn't it still be (in a sense) original published art?

If you wouldn't mind, could you please elaborate on the process? In what way was it used to give it its red tones?

If it was part of the process at all, wouldn't it still be (in a sense) original published art?

Before digital printing, comic books, newspapers, and pretty much everything printed in mass quantities used the offset printing method. This method involves a printing plate for every color used on the final piece.

Read more about Offset Printing.

Oh, and I also received a couple books direct from Mirage. They did go to the trouble of putting them in a stiff cardboard sleeve but the books themselves did not have a bag and board. Surprisngly one of the books actually looks like a legit 9.8 candidate. The other maybe a 9.4 because of a little nick in one of the corners. Just FYI.

Besides here, the Technodrome, and Rich's site...are there any other good places for TMNT info/chatter? I have had a severe case of Turtlemania the past two years or so and it just keeps increasing. I check these sites numerous times a day...but they are all generally pretty slow.

I check these sites numerous times a day...but they are all generally pretty slow.

Just like turtles? hm

There's also this place - I think at least a couple guys on this thread contribute to this?

http://gogreenmachine.org/

Anyone know any more?

I technically own that site. I used to contribute to it heavily. But then my career and marriage happened. I still own it, but I have a small staff that keeps the lights on for me.

Can any of you turtle dudes that scan your CGC Magazine size issues (like tmnt 1-4) suggest an inexpensive scanning/picture solution?

I try to take photos but there's always tons of glare and reflections! A scanner seems better, but an A3 size scanner goes for about $300+! Any tips/tricks/ideas/gizmos?