• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

ITV2 showed Batman Returns last night, I started watching it while I was finishing off a sketch.

I do like the Gothic style of the Burton movies but if you compare them to the comic books you can see that he decided to go his own way with the Batman universe and completely ignore anything the comics had to offer.

I see these movies as Elseworld tales if you will, if you compare them to the comics:

Batman kills or causes incredible harm to his foes. In the first movie he did kill the Joker by hauling him off the ladder of the helicopter. He blew up Axis Chemical plant, if you remember when the Batmobile dropped the bomb from the wheel there was about 4 goons stood nearby, they wouldn't have survived! Batman Returns, he uses the afterburner to engulf one of the penguins men in flames, he later straps a bomb to a thug and throws him down a manhole.

Alfred is too old. Commissioner Gordon is a bumbling insufficiently_thoughtful_person and the police are completely inept in Batman Returns, when the Penguins gang terrorize the city at the start, one police car turns up containing the commissioner and one cop with his immediate response to be "What are you waiting for, the signal!".

I could go on.

To me, growing up with Killing Joke, Year One, DKR and later reading the Demon saga and then Knightfall and onwards, Nolan paid attention to the comics, took broad ideas, installed his own vision as well.

Burton wanted to make a stylish movie and ignored the source material completely. Even though Batman (1989) will always be why I got into Batman, Nolan has been the one who (in my mind) brought the Batman I grew up with to the cinema.

3 days to go to see the final instalment, I can't wait!

Burton's Gotham has alot of giant statues

I like Tim Burton's two Batman films but they dated very quickly.

Don't get me started on what was wrong with these movies :mad:

Go on - start.

No.... must.... resist.....

Well I watched The Dark Knight last night and its still brilliant.

Booked tickets for tomorrow night - even the wife is excited to see it except she came in and said she can't go Friday. So im going with the boy tomorrow and wife next week.

Got a text from my brother this morning, he's working in Australia, just saw Dark Knight Rises....

"Greatest trilogy in film ever ! I give it a 10. Lots of surprises. Nolan delivers."

:cloud9:

This thread has really kicked off in the last few months. I barely checked in here for years.

(thumbs u

I'll be posting a new cover recreation this evening, in honour of the DKR....

Its Batman related ----- 1st person to guess what cover it is can have 10 random Marvel comics! :o

1 guess per person.

Edited by Bane