• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

:news:

Hi guys, a very small announcement purely in the interests of full disclosure and transparency.

As some of you know I have mentioned my lcs, Limited Edition Comix in Stevenage here in the past and sung it's praises. I've been a customer since it opened a couple of years ago and prior to that was a customer of the owner's previous shop in St. Albans.

Over the last few months I have been talking to the owner Richard Emms about his plans for the business going forward and the possibility of myself becoming involved in some way. These discussions ranged from me helping out with marketing and business development advice (my area of expertise) down to joining the company in a more formal manner.

As of today, I am a shareholder and director of the company. My involvement in the day to day running of the shop will be minimal, but I will be helping with developing the business with a view to eventually becoming one of the leading comic retailers in the UK, both in terms of new comics and back issues.

The business is doing very well, but I believe it has great potential to grow in the future. I am excited to be involved in the world of comics retailing, even in this small way.

I will of course respect the board rules, and not spam the place up! :rulez: I just thought I would make my role in the company clear, so as to avoid any conflict of interest etc.

Anyway, sorry for the long read, hopefully some of you will drop by our booths at various shows around the UK, which is an area we intend to concentrate on in a big way.

Cheers.

Phil

Hi guys, a very small announcement purely in the interests of full disclosure and transparency.

As some of you know I have mentioned my lcs, Limited Edition Comix in Stevenage here in the past and sung it's praises. I've been a customer since it opened a couple of years ago and prior to that was a customer of the owner's previous shop in St. Albans.

Over the last few months I have been talking to the owner Richard Emms about his plans for the business going forward and the possibility of myself becoming involved in some way. These discussions ranged from me helping out with marketing and business development advice (my area of expertise) down to joining the company in a more formal manner.

As of today, I am a shareholder and director of the company. My involvement in the day to day running of the shop will be minimal, but I will be helping with developing the business with a view to eventually becoming one of the leading comic retailers in the UK, both in terms of new comics and back issues.

The business is doing very well, but I believe it has great potential to grow in the future. I am excited to be involved in the world of comics retailing, even in this small way.

I will of course respect the board rules, and not spam the place up! :rulez: I just thought I would make my role in the company clear, so as to avoid any conflict of interest etc.

Anyway, sorry for the long read, hopefully some of you will drop by our booths at various shows around the UK, which is an area we intend to concentrate on in a big way.

Cheers.

Phil

Best of luck with the venture - sounds great :)

I live very close to Stevenage but have never been to your shop, though there used to be one some years ago I think in a similar spot (now a pet shop?)

There also used to be one in Letchworth (dump upstairs and rude owner) and Hitchin (very short lived) - any links?

You do the London marts too?

p.s. Fish & Chips - HAS to be eaten with tea and mushy peas, bread and butter

I'm from Yorkshire, we invented Fish & Chips :cloud9:

Cheers.

Phil

:applause:

Cheers.

Phil

I wish you every success. (thumbs u

Cheers.

Phil

Congrat and good luck with your new venture. (thumbs u

Cheers.

Phil

I live very close to Stevenage but have never been to your shop, though there used to be one some years ago I think in a similar spot (now a pet shop?)

There also used to be one in Letchworth (dump upstairs and rude owner) and Hitchin (very short lived) - any links?

Hey Ewan

The shop is at 10 Market Place in the Town Centre and there is a link to the website at the bottom of my posts. No links to those other shops I'm pleased to say.

We do every London Mart, as well as LSCC, Kapow!, NICE(Northampton) and will soon be going further afield on a national scale.

By all means drop in when you are passing. It's a friendly, welcoming shop which was one of the main reasons I wanted to get involved. We have a way to go yet, but are determined to get there.

Cheers again for your kind words.

Congrats Phil, best of luck to you with the store. Rich is the friendliest and most enthusiastic person that anyone could hope to work with. :applause:

Any plans for the store that you can share with us?

Cheers.

Phil

Hey Ewan

The shop is at 10 Market Place in the Town Centre and there is a link to the website at the bottom of my posts. No links to those other shops I'm pleased to say.

We do every London Mart, as well as LSCC, Kapow!, NICE(Northampton) and will soon be going further afield on a national scale.

By all means drop in when you are passing. It's a friendly, welcoming shop which was one of the main reasons I wanted to get involved. We have a way to go yet, but are determined to get there.

Cheers again for your kind words.

Good luck Phil, I have seen the store you talk about at conventions and look forward to doing more business with you guys in the near future (thumbs u

Congrats Phil, best of luck to you with the store. Rich is the friendliest and most enthusiastic person that anyone could hope to work with. :applause:

Hiya Garry

The main thrust is going to be building up the website, both for new standing orders and back issues. As you know, and I'm sure Nick would confirm, the back issue side of things is the killer. Processing a large number of back issues to the point of being able to get them where they are actually all on the site with a pretty scan is very time consuming.

We are negotiating on the purchase of a large collection of silver and bronze Marvels from the states, which will include an FF 1 and a barn load of other key books. It will exclude ASM and Xmen as Rich bought this portion a few months ago, nearly all those books are gone, including the ASM 1 and Xmen 1.

Also, we are very pro comic shows, and intend to be at as many as possible, big and small all over the UK.

Finally, looking after our loyal pull list customers and adding to their numbers. This will be done by staff member Wes, who knows just about all there is to know about the modern comics world.

This will leave myself and Rich to concentrate on building up one of the best silver through copper inventories available in a retail location in the UK. There really seems to be an appetite for cool old comics amongst our customers which is encouraging.

Drop in for a coffee Garry, Rich is always going on about what a great guy you are, which i've been trying to put him right about obviously :jokealert:

Anyway, as I said earlier, we've got a way to go before we are knocking on the esteemed F_T's door, but maybe one day we can reach his high benchmark. (worship)

Hiya Garry

The main thrust is going to be building up the website, both for new standing orders and back issues. As you know, and I'm sure Nick would confirm, the back issue side of things is the killer. Processing a large number of back issues to the point of being able to get them where they are actually all on the site with a pretty scan is very time consuming.

We are negotiating on the purchase of a large collection of silver and bronze Marvels from the states, which will include an FF 1 and a barn load of other key books. It will exclude ASM and Xmen as Rich bought this portion a few months ago, nearly all those books are gone, including the ASM 1 and Xmen 1.

Also, we are very pro comic shows, and intend to be at as many as possible, big and small all over the UK.

Finally, looking after our loyal pull list customers and adding to their numbers. This will be done by staff member Wes, who knows just about all there is to know about the modern comics world.

This will leave myself and Rich to concentrate on building up one of the best silver through copper inventories available in a retail location in the UK. There really seems to be an appetite for cool old comics amongst our customers which is encouraging.

Drop in for a coffee Garry, Rich is always going on about what a great guy you are, which i've been trying to put him right about obviously :jokealert:

Anyway, as I said earlier, we've got a way to go before we are knocking on the esteemed F_T's door, but maybe one day we can reach his high benchmark. (worship)

good luck with the back issues (thumbs u

you do the website yourself or do you have a "guy"?

Rich has a background in design and publishing, so he works with a hosting and web design company on the content and layout. We will eventually be using a form of channelgrabber, so that our inventory will be barcoded and scanned and simultaneously entered onto our own web store, eBay, amazon etc. This will also track inventory and manage stock levels.

It's a long and costly process, but vital if we want to be competitive.