• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boston Comic Con w/ Mike Allred, Jim Cheung, Paul Gulacy, and more!

134 posts in this topic

n1503315836_157216_787.jpg

Press Release

BOSTON COMIC CON RETURNS WITH A TWO-DAY SHOW ON APRIL 4-5

Special guests include superstar Madman creator Mike Allred, superstar Marvel artist Jim Cheung, original founding Marvel Bullpen inker Richard Ayers, and multi-award winning veteran artist Paul Gulacy.

Boston, MA (January 23, 2009) - New England's largest comic book convention grows even bigger as the Boston Comic Con announces its first two day show on April 4-5, 2009. And with an extra day added, the guestlist is growing by leaps and bounds.

First up is Marvel "Young Gun" artist Jim Cheung, best known for his work on groundbreaking series such as Young Avengers, Avengers: Illuminati, and countless covers. Jim is a fan favorite of the superhero genre, world-renowned for his widescreen style.

Living legend Richard Ayers, a veteran comic book artist with over six decades of work and one of the founding members of the Marvel bullpen along with Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, comes to Boston and will regale fans with stories of the early days of Marvel.

Paul Gulacy burst onto the comic book scene in the 70s with his multi-award winning work for Master of Kung Fu and continues to amaze fans on series including Batman, Terminator, Star Wars, and Catwoman.

Finally, Boston Comic Con is excited to announce its latest guest addition, Madman creator Mike Allred! An indie sensation for the last twenty years, Allred has gone on to create Red Rocket 7, the Atomics, and X-Statix. Additionally his work has appeared in the feature films Mallrats and Chasing Amy, in which Allred has a cameo as himself.

The Boston Comic Con is in its third year of producing comic book shows and is committed to bringing the biggest and best comic book show to New England. The Boston Comic Con hosts over 13,000 square feet of vendors selling comic books, toys, posters, and other pop culture memorabilia. The event will be held Saturday April 4 through Sunday April 5, 2009 at The Back Bay Events Center, 180 Berkeley St., Boston, from 10am to 5pm. Admission is $10. Children 10 and under are free. Go to www.bostoncomiccon.com for more information.

Boston Comic Con is now on MySpace: www.myspace.com/bostoncomiccon

***Unfortunately, Boris Vallejo & Julie Bell had to cancel.***

Not to derail the Boston Comic Con thread, but I think the next Chelmsford show is June 14. Chelmsford is north of town. It's a smaller show but quite good and one I always go to.

Thanks, but I was hoping there would be a con in the NE area around the first two weeks of July.

Not to derail the Boston Comic Con thread, but I think the next Chelmsford show is June 14. Chelmsford is north of town. It's a smaller show but quite good and one I always go to.

Actually, looks like Larry moved it to the big honking fancy Westford Regency, the next town over. At least that's the way I read his newsletter the other day.

And to stay on track: :banana: for the two-day Boston show in April!

The Boston show is the best thing to ever and I mean EVER happen to the New England market. I love it. I live it. I promote it. That said, can I report here in this thread ( we share alot of dealers/friends/customers) that my "Chelmsford" show is now the "Westford" show. Had to move it, the hotel was unhappy with my occupying the front lobby to accomidate dealers and fans, they were pissey with my growing attendance. The new room is bigger. 2 exits down with an every 2 months frequency. Its still the "Biggest small town show in America!"

95 tables broken down by this percentage

10 small press

10 toy dealers

10 sportcard guys ( only patriots/red sox/celtic/bruins)

65 comic

it is not going to turn into a toy show...it is not going to turn in to a sportcard show...it is a comic show. I have to attract some complimentary dealers because this is a big room!!

FEBPOSTER.gif

Board members are always on the comp list!

banner-larrys.png

Love You!

Larry!

Press Release

IMAGE FOUNDER COMES TO BOSTON COMIC CON

Spawn Artist Whilce Portacio Appears on April 4-5, 2009

Boston, MA (Feburary 16, 2009) - The Boston Comic Con is honored to welcome Whilce Portacio to New England's largest comic book convention on April 4-5, 2009. Mr. Portacio broke into the industry in 1985 as an inker on Marvel Comics such as Longshot and New Mutants. Before long, he gained wide acclaim as the lead artist for The Punisher, X-Factor, and Uncanny X-Men. In 1992, Mr. Portacio left Marvel with several other top talents to form Image Comics, where he created his own series, Wetworks. Currently, Mr. Portacio is working with fellow Image co-founder Todd McFarlane on the supernatural hit series, Spawn.

Whilce Portacio joins a spectacular list of star comic creators appearing at the Boston Comic Con including Madman creator Mike Allred, virtuoso Marvel artist Jim Cheung, original founding Marvel Bullpen inker Richard Ayers, and multi-award winning veteran artist Paul Gulacy.

The Boston Comic Con is in its third year of producing comic book shows and is committed to bringing the biggest and best comic book show to New England. The Boston Comic Con hosts over 13,000 square feet of vendors selling comic books, toys, posters, and other pop culture memorabilia. The event will be held Saturday April 4 through Sunday April 5, 2009 at The Back Bay Events Center, 180 Berkeley St., Boston, from 10am to 5pm. Admission is $10. Children 10 and under are free. Go to www.bostoncomiccon.com for more information.

Boston Comic Con is now on MySpace: www.myspace.com/bostoncomiccon

**Unfortunately, Boris Vallejo & Julie Bell had to cancel.**

Nik volunteered last year, but Kevin Boyd said they'd put a moratorium on new witnesses until 2009. Or 2010. I'm tempted to rant, but this is the Boston Comic Con thread (thumbs u , not Rich's SS Soapbox.

Oh go ahead and rant a little :baiting:, it bumps up the Boston Show when you rant! :grin:

Well, since you asked...

I’ll try not to rant too much, lest Boyd get sore again.

In the glaring absence of a SS Witness in the Boston or New England area, Nik, CGC member, bastion of good grading skills and square dealing that he is, volunteered last fall for SS duty.

Kevin Boyd, Imperial Poobah of Sig Series Witness, bodyslammed that idea to the mat for the count with a clarion call of “No new witnesses until 2009!” Or 2010. I can’t recall which and don’t have time to find the thread right now.

His rationale seemed as weak as a breadsticks, especially since we have a steady stream of creators in attendance at Boston area shows and zero SS presence. The kicker is that after that minor brouhaha, it came to light there is in fact a legit SS witness (in NH I think) but he never goes to shows.

If the SS program is going to be so spartan and allow only 1 witness in New England, why didn’t they give the job to someone who’s actually going to do it?

Okay, I’m off the soapbox.

Hooray for the Boston Comic Con!!! :banana: