• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Need some advice

28 posts in this topic

I was fired from my CSR job this past week and its the first time I have ever been fired from a job. The "official" reason was poor job performance, but the truth is I really didn't get along with my supervisor and he was just looking for any excuse!

So, anybody here who has been fired from their job have any tips as to what I should tell a perspective employer about my firing? I know I should be truthful, but how much should I bend the truth? Or should I bend it at all?

I've never been fired, but it definitely is all about how you perceive and express what had happened. Take a positive look at opportunities you have now versus what you had in your position. "The position wasn't quite what I need at this point in my life, and I feel that [insert company here] has the opportunities I am interested in pursuing." Or somethin' like that. ^ ^

I know that happened to my dad once--there was someone in the company who hated him for no good reason, and the moment he was promoted to a supervisory position, he fired my dad. At first, Dad was upset because he didn't know what he was going to do or how he was going to work. But then he ended up getting a job with a governmental surveying corp, and the people he met there have really influenced his career to this day. ;) So good things can come in packages you would not expect. Good luck with the job search!

I was fired from my CSR job this past week and its the first time I have ever been fired from a job. The "official" reason was poor job performance, but the truth is I really didn't get along with my supervisor and he was just looking for any excuse!

So, anybody here who has been fired from their job have any tips as to what I should tell a perspective employer about my firing? I know I should be truthful, but how much should I bend the truth? Or should I bend it at all?

I would focus more on jobs previous. And I dont think you have to really explain your past job. If they do ask, tell them you just needed to move on.

Sorry to here that you got fired, but when God closes one door, He opens one bigger and

better. Have you thought about starting your own business? If you have worked on the

phone, there are opportunities. What type of company did you rep for?

Tim

Speaking as an employer, I would be willing to hire someone who was fired from a previous position, but I would not hire someone who lied to me about it. Tell the truth as you see it, don't badmouth the previous employer and you should have a chance (thumbs u

Sorry to hear about your job loss. Be honest during the interview but keep it short and sweet. Before interviewing, decide on a sentence or two to describe the reason and just stick to that don't elaborate too much. Something like …I was let go from my previous job but it now leaves me open for pursue new opportunities.

A job consultant expert once told me that the new employer is really looking to see your reaction and if you harbor any ill feelings. True be told, in today’s economy and layoff situation, the interview may just assume that it was due to company cut backs. I would not worry about it too much and don’t let it hinder your search. Good luck.

The key is tactful honesty in these cases. When hiring, I would look for someone to be able to explain a tough situation in a professional manner. It sounds like there was a personality conflict in your case that could not be resolved in another way (or was not tried). Start with this and say you're looking for the next logical fit in your working life.

I wouldn't worry too much about any prospective employer's getting anything much from the ex employer other than name rank and serial number. Too many lawsuits waiting to happen.

Go with what the others here have said, or that you were downsized. That's happening way too much now anyways and makes sense.

Your previous employer is limited to what they can say about you.... so just don't go overboard with your explanation.

Most companies are cutting back in this economy anyway.

Bottom line... don't worry too much about it. (As long as you don't have a history of being terminated in your resume.)

Speaking as an employer, I would be willing to hire someone who was fired from a previous position, but I would not hire someone who lied to me about it. Tell the truth as you see it, don't badmouth the previous employer and you should have a chance (thumbs u

As a Employer also, I agree 100%!

ANother option would be to sit down with your former boss, and politely and tactfully ask for some really honest feedback. He may have some perceptions about you which may or may not be correct, but the perceptions may be more reality from his/her perspective. You may feel you're kicking butt, but he/she may feel your going in circles. Also, see if your boss would be willing to give you a strong or at least positive referral if requested. Often, former bosses will be more willing to help you out if you stay positive and ask for their help. It will help if you can point out some areas where you positively impacted the organization.

Try to stay focused, positive, and learn from the experience. And of course, good luck!

V/R,

Mike

Put this job on paper, and if it comes up in an interview explain that there was a personality conflict and that you agreed to mutually part ways.

Very sorry to hear about what happened.

I totally agree with this approach. DO NOT spend a lot of time on the topic though. I had a fellow apply for a senior position I had open, and he mentioned at one point that the reason he was leaving his last job was his boss expected him to fudge some numbers to make their profit look better, and he felt that wasn't the right thing to do. Case closed! Nothing further needed to be said, and it actually impressed me.

Then, he is so nervous about the topic, he kept going on and on about how bad his previous situation was at work, and how he felt they had been a shady company all along. Now it opened doors in my mind why he stayed so long at this company (5 years), and all of a sudden his conscience bothered him.

Be quick about addressing this, and move on. Otherwise, it can lead into more questions about what happened.

You will get through this, and one day look back and shake your head over it all.

If they do a follow up with your previous employer they pretty much just verify that dates you started and stopped working. Rarely would an employer go into details on why someone was let go. Hope your next opportunity is bigger and brighter than your previous one. (thumbs u I was let go in 1996 from a manufacturing supervisor position when they closed the entire night shift. I have been self employed ever since in local contracting and comic book retailing. If they would not of eliminated my position, I would probably still be there, so I'm glad they pushed me out the door. :grin:

Your previous employer is limited to what they can say about you.... so just don't go overboard with your explanation.

Most companies are cutting back in this economy anyway.

Bottom line... don't worry too much about it. (As long as you don't have a history of being terminated in your resume.)

what he said.