• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SERIOUS KIRBY GRAIL UP FOR SALE

23 posts in this topic

wow is right. I'd ask the price but I'm pretty sure I can't afford it! :( amazing piece. will you be making the final price public or keeping that to yourself? (can't blame you if so). good luck on what should be a tremendous sale

Was that the norm for Kirby to do one off pieces from books he didnt pencil? The book it came from Avengers 10 was penciled by Ayers and there is no mention of Chich Stone. I'm not saying i question the origin just kinda curious as to why he would have drawn a piece for a book he didnt work on.

He may not have necessarily drawn that pin-up for Avengers #10 -- that's just where Stan had room to publish it. Chances are, Stan told Jack to do pin-ups for all of the characters and villains -- remember - pin-ups were a mainstay of the early FF issues -- some showed up in FF Annual #1 -- Spidey had a pin-up, etc., so it would make perfect sense that he would do one for Cap as well and they just happened to publish it in Avengers #10.

Was that the norm for Kirby to do one off pieces from books he didnt pencil? The book it came from Avengers 10 was penciled by Ayers and there is no mention of Chich Stone. I'm not saying i question the origin just kinda curious as to why he would have drawn a piece for a book he didnt work on.

hm

Well Stone worked on Avengers 6 & 7 so whos to say Jack didn't pencil them then, also your logic doesn't quite work as Jack drew the cover to Avengers 10. also I think there was a lot of Marvel Masterworks pin-ups published in that 2/3 month period, the Thor pin-up on Jim 110 springs to mind. I seem to remember a Hulk pin-up in TTA and the Thing in Strange tales the majority were drawn by Jack in the same time period.

Clem

Its clearly Kirby and a very iconic image i was just looking for some color on when it might have been done give that he didnt pencil the interior nor did Chich do the inks on Avengers 10. It makes sense that it was probably done earlier when stone was on the book.