• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nice to find jewels on Ebay!!!

10 posts in this topic

Won an auction for Conan 1-4 off ebay about 5 months ago. The picture of the item was taken by digital camera and not a scanner, so the books were small and NO detail could be seen. The seller was not a collector or dealer, so they did not know what they had. I won the four comics for $148 including my shipping cost. I just got back Conan #1 and it got a 9.0, and #3 is on it's way to CGC and it's just as nice or nicer than #1. That is why collecting is so much fun-find that raw book for a good price and make it your gain later. Happy Hunting and Merry Christmas-Currin Comics. acclaim.gif

Though they aren't as plentiful as before, there are many good deals on eBay. I'm pretty big on large lots. Off the top of my head, I've gotten HG runs of 12 cent and up Sgt Rocks, very nice Hulk #180, beautiful run of FF #100-126, the full Adams X-Men run in VF or better, and a literal buttload of high grade Marvel 25/30 centers in the last year. All buried in lots of other comics and not advertised or displayed.

With that said, I have a long box or so of VG comics as a result also. But the limited outlay of cash based on what I've received is well worth the effort.

And you're right.....there's nothing better than getting a "mystery" lot and being pleasantly surprised. grin.gif

Jim

Funny you should mention it....

I sent a short box full of comics two weeks ago to Landstuhl Medical Facility where our guys are recuperating from their wounds suffered in Iraq (primarily) and Afghanistan. Supposed to get feedback next week on how well they were received. If all goes well, I'll be sending more right before Christmas.....

Jim

Nothing better than an auction with a bad image or no image at all. I have purchased at least 20 Silver age books listed in good conditon, but with a description that sounds a lot better. 95% of the books I have received are in Fine to Very Fine condition, with little to no outlay of funds.

I have done the same with runs including a pre #100 lot of Fantastic Four and a nice 12 issues run of Tales to Astonish. My latest find was a lot of 23 Tomb Of Dracula including #1-4 and a 35cent varient all for $76 bucks.The first issue was a solid VF and 13 of the 23 books ended up being in VF or NM condition.

thumbsup2.gif

Nothing better than an auction with a bad image or no image at all. .....

thumbsup2.gif

Man, how I long for the early days of ebay, when no one had scanners or digital cameras. You had to ask the right questions and, if you received the right answers from sellers, chances were that no one else bothered to their homework and you'd get an unreal bargain. I cleaned up on ebay from 1996-1998 or so, often getting 9.0's and better at 30-50% off guide. It always amazed me how other bidders couldn't bother to ask and how few sellers would give comprehensive descriptions.

"Have you considered donating any of those VG comics to a children's hospital or receiving home?"

Always a great idea .

I love to read and attribute a lot of that to reading comics when I was young. And I encourage everyone to help spark that interest in kids.

I donated about 2,000 comics to a children's hospital several years ago. I needed the room in my house, I needed a tax break, and I needed a "feel-good" boost. Everyone was happy.

A few years later I donated about 1,200 comics to a local YMCA for their youth program. A few weeks later got a letter stating that they sold the comics for $100. frown.gif I was disappointed.

When some non collecting people say comics are in good condition, they sometimes seem to mean they are in good condition, good as how they use good in everyday conversation. Actually I still don´t understand why a comic is labeled good when it is all brown, stained, has tears and creases. confused-smiley-013.gif