• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlton Sci-Fi

156 posts in this topic

Here are scans of the three Charlton monster books that I just added to my collection:

Gorgo 2

Gorgo2.jpg

Return of Gorgo 3

ReturnofGorgo3.jpg

Reptisaurus 8

Reptisaurus8.jpg

The latter two came from our own fellow poster Gorgoguy.

:headbang:

I have a couple of Space Adventures handy. These pale when compared to Captain Atom IMHO.

Captain Atom was introduced in Space Adventures 33 though.

Captain Atom's pretty cool. :grin: Charlton's version of Captain Comet?

Not at all. Captain Comet was a mutant with advanced mental powers. Captain Atom was actually very much like Gold Key's Doctor Solar as far as his origin and powers were concerned. Captain Atom preceded Doctor Solar though so, if anything, Doctor Solar was the copy.

;)

I have a couple of Space Adventures handy. These pale when compared to Captain Atom IMHO.

Captain Atom was introduced in Space Adventures 33 though.

Captain Atom's pretty cool. :grin: Charlton's version of Captain Comet?

Not at all. Captain Comet was a mutant with advanced mental powers. Captain Atom was actually very much like Gold Key's Doctor Solar as far as his origin and powers were concerned. Captain Atom preceded Doctor Solar though so, if anything, Doctor Solar was the copy.

;)

That is an interesting twist, I had thought Doctor Solar was an original character.

Normally thought of as a title that featured mild horror, or stories with twist endings, Unusual Tales had occasional sci-fi stories as well.

Of books I own in this title, this is my favorite.

#41.

UT_41.jpg

I remember purchasing this book off of the rack when it was new. I never suspected that it was to be the last issue.

Somewhat remarkably this book has held up well, when compared to the other books I have owned since the 60's. It does have the all too normal mis-wrap though.

UT_48.jpg

Unusual Tales was certainly among Charlton's more obscure titles.

Here are scans of a few more of my Captain Atom comics though:

06-08-201182838PM.jpg

:cool:

It's interesting that Charlton was able to secure Steve Ditko for Doctor Spectro,

who's looks somewhat similar to Marvel's Dr. Strange. :flamed:

Doctor Spectro was even picked up by D.C. comics briefly, per an article in wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Spectro

Doctor Spectro became part of the DC Universe after DC Comics purchased the rights to Captain Atom and

other characters. He appeared in issues #9 and 10 of Crisis on Infinite Earths (December 1985 and January 1986, respectively).

This thread needs some love...anyone have some nice Charltons to post?

In the meantime, here is a link to a really interesting article on Charlton monster comics -- Gorgo, Konga, Reptilicus(saurs) -- that I saw on the Ditko-L Yahoo list.

http://scan.net.au/scan/journal/display.php?journal_id=131

and here is an intro for the above article from the Schultz Library blog...

http://schulzlibrary.wordpress.com/2009/06/14/steve-ditkos-konga-the-lonely-one/

I feel a little awkward replying to my own post (kind of like sitting by yourself at a movie), but any-who, I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on this Charlton/Konga/Gorgo/Ditko article...anyone?

I did indeed learn a few things - I did not know the origins of Charlton publishing...It seems quite interesting that Charlton publishing was conceived (ouch!) by its founders in a jail cell! I also learned that Ditko had a better working relationship with writer/edito Joe Gill than he ever did with Stan Lee.

It was a good decision by the author to have the article concentrate on the efforts with the Charlton monsters -- those were some of Steve's best stuff for Charlton - especially KONGA #1 - the level of detail in the early KONGAs and GORGOs rival Ditko's best work on those lil' 5 page gems he did on the pre-hero Marvel fantasy titles.

Bill

There is a soft cover book that collects much of that material.Fantagraphics maybe?Its very cool.

This cover reminds me of some of the Star Spangled War Comics, where dinosaurs are grabbing tanks, subs, PT boats and the like. Only on this cover it's a Soviet sub.

Issue #21.

GORGOX_21.jpg

Take THAT, ya *@&$%# pinko Commies!

That's what I like to see! Gorgo kicks butt! No angst about his sick aunt or dead girlfriends, he just goes out and does the job, whether it comes to cleaning Soviet subs from the sea or cutting out some fat at corporate headquarters:

gorgo.jpg

(thumbs u

DC should be publishing Gorgo Archives I say!

:preach:

That's what I like to see! Gorgo kicks butt! No angst about his sick aunt or dead girlfriends, he just goes out and does the job, whether it comes to cleaning Soviet subs from the sea or cutting out some fat at corporate headquarters:

gorgo.jpg

(thumbs u

DC should be publishing Gorgo Archives I say!

:preach:

(thumbs u Gorgo is a hidden gem of Charlton Comics.