• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If a crash doesn't come, what will people post about ?

28 posts in this topic

Without a doubt, if a crash doesn't come, people will post about when the crash is coming. Crash talk has no expiration date. I'm sure it started as soon as people commonly began paying more than cover price for comics, and obviously, it has never stopped.

Which is why I find that it's really only useful to look at every once and a while, usually before and after I find some really nice early Marvel comic I want which costs big bucks.

Without a doubt, if a crash doesn't come, people will post about when the crash is coming. Crash talk has no expiration date. I'm sure it started as soon as people commonly began paying more than cover price for comics, and obviously, it has never stopped.

Oh yeah, collectible's market crashes are all one big fairy tale... 27_laughing.gif

When did you fall off the turnip truck?

Oh yeah, collectible's market crashes are all one big fairy tale... 27_laughing.gif

When did you fall off the turnip truck?

I don't think that F.F. was positing the notion that market crashes are fairy tales. Just my two cents, there. And as for yet another argument where you and anyone else who's still interested pontificate about market crashes, my other two cents. sleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif

Smart people in any speculative market have the possiblity of a crash firmly integrated into their being, that shouldnt be scary it should be empowering.

Classic example of someone who maintained clear vision in a speculative bubble is Mark Cuban, sold his internet firm because he recognized it as being grossly overvalued. Invested the billions he made in real things like sports teams and bricks and mortar businesses. He's a billionare today while many of his ex-peers are broke and living in mommas basement.

The sole error of his broke peers? They didnt recognize the speculative part of their businesses and assumed their businesses were worth what everyone was telling them.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in. That was indeed a very good point, but speaking entirely from my experience as someone who was and is acutely aware of the possibility of market crashes, such awareness certainly didn't empower me.

I've been collecting since the mid '70s, although I've only been reasonably solvent since '95. My brother and I attended an NYC show in '96. He knew zip about comics, but knew enough about iconic collectibles to say to me that comics were undervalued in terms of their cultural and historical importance, and that they were still the poor man's coins and stamps. He said I should invest, heavily, as I told him that the market was in a (self-evident) lull and that momentum had been lost within it.

I had the opportunity at this underattended show to (retrospectively) do extremely well. But the little voice inside of me kept insisting on playing safe. Who could have predicted what was to come? The market could have spiralled further downwards - who was to say otherwise?

The corollary of this is that no matter how clinical you can be in a collectibles market, there will always be an emotional undercurrent. I'm not Mark Cuban. As a collector/dealer I'm not always going to intellectualize about speculation and market fluctuations - however it was this awareness that prevented me from taking chances.

I'd say that there is only one, or just possibly two Mark Cubans on these boards. So gentlemen, who am I referring to?

I'm not Mark Cuban. As a collector/dealer I'm not always going to intellectualize about speculation and market fluctuations - however it was this awareness that prevented me from taking chances.

Wrong, that wasn't awareness of market forces and trends, but simple paranoia.

I don't think that F.F. was positing the notion that market crashes are fairy tales. Just my two cents, there. And as for yet another argument where you and anyone else who's still interested pontificate about market crashes, my other two cents. sleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif

You characterized my statement correctly; I have no idea when a market crash will occur. I also have no idea whether I'll ever have a major bowel obstruction, and dwelling on that is just as negative and uninteresting as dwelling on when a comic crash might happen. If someone can help me to predict either event, I'm highly interested in hearing their criteria, but since I haven't heard a good way to forecast either one, I try to only dwell on it from time to time.

All these crash threads are making me constipated. blush.gifooo.gifsleeping.gif