• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Look What I found!!

12 posts in this topic

Just sitting in the "Land of unwanted comic book box" at the local antique mall,...I was scrounging for old copies of Hulk #181 (I found 178,179,182,183,) or maybe X-men Giant #1,...and found this little puppy.......sorry having probs downloading it,..you got to check attachment

334404-ra.jpg.742089f2456464acc24fbdb873385a36.jpg

It is the only way to go thumbsup2.gif

It is unlikely you will ever find me buying older comics from a shop or even Ebay. I love to dig through yard and estate sells and sometimes I get lucky (no comics thought yet). The local antique mall has quite a few gems, but unfortunately they want above book price.

The local antique mall has quite a few gems, but unfortunately they want above book price.

Those types of sellers are hillarious. A little knowledge of the guide is a very dangerous thing with these people. It's good for a laugh when I find totally beat up comics in an antique store box with price tags multiples above guide. Every once in a while the luck strikes though and something good is mined from the depths.

Antique stores/malls are often full of comic books, but unfortunately most are placed there by people who have gotten ahold of an Overstreet are therefore think they are experts.

The pricing mentality seems to be "It ain't in terrible shape, but it ain't perfect either, so it must be the price in the middle." I see a lot of VGs priced at Fine or above. 'Course, for every one of those, there's one who just picks the high price.

The really hilarious instances are the ones where the seller seems to have some idea what they're doing - the books are at least bagged, there's a grade given and it's priced exactly at guide. Hint: If I wanted to pay guide I wouldn't have driven right past my three local comic shops to the antique mall.

About 5% of the time I find books priced decently enough to warrant purchase. Generally these are $5 books for a buck each or something, in pretty good shape. Very rarely a gem shows up.

The local antique mall has quite a few gems, but unfortunately they want above book price.

Those types of sellers are hillarious. A little knowledge of the guide is a very dangerous thing with these people. It's good for a laugh when I find totally beat up comics in an antique store box with price tags multiples above guide. Every once in a while the luck strikes though and something good is mined from the depths.

There was one of those at a recent Sacramento Comic Con! He had a box of wonderful Walt Kelly Pogos and Disney Four Colors, many in mid grade, all priced at the NM price. I would have bought the Pogo in a hearbeat if it wasn't priced at 10X of guide.

Antique stores/malls are often full of comic books, but unfortunately most are placed there by people who have gotten ahold of an Overstreet are therefore think they are experts.

I agree,..I've been to estate sales that have tried to sell moldy, washed-up 70's archie comics for $20.00 a piece,...I got lucky here,..The Batman #232 was only $3.00,...there was also a Marvel price variant there,.....I'm assuming it was cause the price had a star shape around it and said still 35 cents,...it was also 3 bucks but the edges were curled up so I passed on it....otherwise the other 30 or so books were worthless.

Yeah, the antique mall here is awesome. It is a huge 2-story building barely has enough walking room to get around. Spaces in the store are leased out to individual dealers, but it is hard to tell where one begins and the other ends.

Anyway, near the front door is a bookrack where you will find collector and price guides for most of the stuff there (like Overstreet).I do not know if it is very smart or very funny.

I have only purchased comics once at an antique store. There was a bag of high grade late 60s Charltons for $10, which was not too bad of a price. They were nothing special except for the grade. However, when I opened the bag at home I was peeved to find one of the middle books had the cover detached. I slipped the cover off of the comic and lo and behold there was a coverless copy of Amazing Spider-Man #5 inside. All in all it was not a bad deal.