• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much pull does this forum have?

39 posts in this topic

Not sure how you're interpreting my first post, as it was in agreement with you. Brain said "This is NEVER going to happen, as a for profit company has NO REASON to give away trade secrets.", and we both disagreed. So I posted links to 4 for-profit grading companies that reveal their grading standards as counter-examples (giving proper credit to JC). That's it, plain and simple.

Now I'm getting you, as when you said you were in agreement, you did it under the person that said not publishing standards was a competitive edge. I thought you were showing examples where other companies DID publish standards and somehow it led to hurting them.

So I am in agreement with this profile and in slight disagreement with the other.

:jokealert:

Seriously, thanks for the explanation. I'd also say WTTB, but I'm getting the feeling this is probably someone that is a returning member under a new account.

What do ya think? If we all, everyone of us, petitioned CGC to publish a grading criteria or guide that they use, would it happen?

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

On my doctor's advice, I'm unable to read the rest of your post.

Maybe CGC doesnt show their grading guidelines so that they don'y have to listen to a bunch of comic nerds whine at them when the books they get back don't match up with the grading standards CGC showed thus CGC doesnt want to keep replying "grading is subjective".

Maybe CGC doesnt show their grading guidelines so that they don'y have to listen to a bunch of comic nerds whine at them when the books they get back don't match up with the grading standards CGC showed thus CGC doesnt want to keep replying "grading is subjective".

Stated that above already. Rather than being a "competitive edge," it is a way to hold back the tide of calls that would come pouring in. Agreed!

What do ya think? If we all, everyone of us, petitioned CGC to publish a grading criteria or guide that they use, would it happen?

It would never happen, but I think we could come up with an UNOFFICIAL CGC Grading Criteria guide that would get pretty darn close.

This is NEVER going to happen, as a for profit company has NO REASON to give away trade secrets.

Interesting point, but not sure if I agree. How is grading a comic a trade secret? Like nobody else in the comic industry can setup a standard to grade against?

How they encase books and stand behind the quality they provide would be point-on as not everyone can afford to run a process to the level they do. How to grade a comic? Although they have something maybe slightly different from Overstreet, it isn't that far off the mark when you grab a few of your slabs and compare.

Props to JC, he hit the nail on the head in this respect!

"And just a side note that CGC seems to stand alone in not posting Grading Standards like all the other major players do:

..."

hm So when you see JC's posts, you actually read_em ?

:hi: (you know there is no "_" in prestidigitation, right? :baiting:)

The 9.9 is their trade secret that they don't want to give up.

What that one, nearly invisible flaw is that required the creation of a whole extra point in the ladder.

In response to the question at hand...not much power. certainly less than many here seem to think this forum and its members have.

Um... http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2845330

Not ot give away the "Secret Sauce" or anything but a basic way to look at it might be:

9.9 has one maybe two minor manufacturing defects & no handling defects

10.0 has no manufacturing defects & no handling defects

and cajones... ;)

Could the entire membership of this forum have enough clout to get one hundred million dollars from the stimulus bill, so that we could go out and stimulate the economy in Local Comic Shops and ComicCons? NO

there are so few shops left that $5 million would probably stimulate the heck out of the 500 or fewer of them that are left

i didn't think comiccons were really having a problem other than the obscene cost of renting a table in some locales. with the economy tanking these venues won't be able to charge promoters as much and, in theory, promoters will be able to charge less. in theory.

Seriously, thanks for the explanation. I'd also say WTTB, but I'm getting the feeling this is probably someone that is a returning member under a new account.

I was member # 229, registered on 06/29/02 :acclaim:

See ya with my new ID on Monday! lol

:hi:

I have no idea, but based on the answers here it isn't likely.

If the majority of the members of this forum petitioned to the President of the U.S. to declare a "Read a Kid a Comic Day", would it happen.

Promoting literacy is always good. I think the current Pres would be open to it.

If a whole bunch of members of this forum signed one petition and it was forwarded to the CEO of Ebay, and asked that the comic book section of Ebay require an assigned grade be given to each book for sale or auctioned there, would it happen.

Uh... :roflmao: Okay, okay, seriously... :roflmao::roflmao:

Could the entire membership of this forum have enough clout to get one hundred million dollars form the stimulus bill, so that we could go out and stimulate the economy in Local Comic Shops and ComicCons?

Perhaps you should be asking the execs at AIG for some cash? I hear they got a lot in their bonuses.

Do we even have enough pull to get some type of auction system here on this forum?

What other online auction alternatives exist for comic books? I hear there might be one coming out pretty soon :whistle:

What do you think?

I would love an auction system on this forum, other than the poorly functioning ones that some have worked out. Of course, I would also love one hundred million dollars from the stimulus bill, to be put into the economy by us :)

$100mil? :takeit: As for an auction system here, I like the way the selling goes now. That and I don't think CGC wants to get involved with that on their forum. I'd think it might pose a conflict of interest if they had such a direct hand inthe sale of comics here. Or maybe I'm just talking out my arse (and I'm sure someone hee will be kind enough to tell me if I am lol

How much pull does this forum have?

About as far as our hands will reach. :shy:

That would be approximately how much push this forum has.

No to all, except possibly read a kid a comic day.

I recall an auction system being discussed about a year ago and it wasn't well met, if memory serves. So no to everything else.

As for prestidigitation, I don't know WHO it is, but I do know it's my favorite 0-level DnD spell and works well for soiling other players or unsoiling yourself.

-Rob-