• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what do you think the future of comics holds in store??/

115 posts in this topic

I am not even going to try to waste an hour reading threw this thread with the same tiring agruments that are not proven yet.

People have been saying the same BS since I was 12 and I am almost 29 and nothing has changed except it's older BS. If I would have bought alot of highgrade and any grade Marvels SA keys back when i was a kid, I would be laughing all the way to the bank.

Can these books hold their value? yes!

Our alot of C-Links auctions over inflated? yes!

Will CGC books hit a ceiling?. I think they will, but will have a period of none growth rather than a huge decline.

Will the market crash on HG CGC books? Yes one day AF 15 CGC 9.2 will be worth $100k and then then it will go down to an affordable $5k. lol

Will people stop beinging dumb a s ses ? Nope.

Will Superman, Batman, Spider-man be around in 50+ years? As long as

America is still around, then Yes.

People need to stop thinking if Moderns comics go away that the back issue market will become non-existent.

It doesn't matter how little Jimmy at age 5 knows about these characters. It can be from Comics, TV, Movies, games, etc...It just matters that they know. Either venue can propel an individual to become a collector in old vintage books.

I grew up on comics, TV, video games, Baseball cards, and I am a huge SA/BA collector.

There is no concrete evidence to prove these books won't hold investment value over the years. If you want to agrue that the books are over inflated right now then thats fine and I myself am the same way. To think the market will just crash on keys and old vintage books where in like 25 years you can pick up rare comics at a fraction of the prices they are now would shock me.

Being a collector of rare books (not just comics), I can only say that it is probably just like the comic book collecting field is now. Some books are highly sought after and will continue to go up and up (you have to factor in inflation to understand how that statement pertains), and many rare books will not. You get one of the first 15,000 printings of Uncle Tom's Cabin or one of the first edition/printings of The Book of Mormon, and you really have something. Same for "To Kill a Mockingbird" and a hundred other books I could mention. The first edition/printing of "The Davinci Code" is equivilant to New Mutants #98, IMO.

The true keys (Avengers 4, FF 48, FF 1, etc,) will ride the wave up and up. But many of what we now consider keys or semi-keys (New Mutants 98, etc) will die a slow and painful death.

maybe.

Here hoping that comic books do not die quickly. At least not until 2012 :)

Look at the rare/antiquarian book market for a clue about the future of the comic collecting industry/hobby.

Save me the trouble of a google search...what's going on in that market? (shrug)

SOT's Market advice.....

Buy Low, sell high.. :shy:

Seriously though, I think comics are a great SHORT-TERM way to make a little bit of extra cash flow till the stock market comes back for the LONG TERM Investment strategy.

LT for the comic markets? I can't say.

ST, everyone is buying keys. Are any selling for GPA or is there a scramble for #1's and the final prices have been blowing out previous GPA numbers?

I sold a # 1 Hulk, Avengers, FF, ASM in the last few months only to watch the books sell for 20-40 % shortly after my sales I thought that the price rise would level out or break months ago. I like to say I was early in forecasting the decline (as opposed to wrong). The buying looks like a "bubble" (I hate to use that word). That's for each of us to judge for ourselves.

Buyers capitulate in bubbles believing that unless I buy it now I never will be able to afford the book. That mentality causes price to surge until supply (from rising prices) comes out and overwhelms the remaining buyers. When the price starts to slip there is usually a long way down.

My view, the magnitude of the rising prices for keys is not helpful to the hobby.

The new way will be digital comics on your Kindle,I-Phone or Google phone. Maybe even the Nintendo DS Lite.Give it time and I am not talking the 30 year old somethings and up, I am talking the younger generation who are growing up with the new technology. The E-ink is really easy on your eyes.

It may be several years away, but a portable page-sized color viewer will blow the doors off the digital comic book phenomenon that exists right now on the web. All that scanned content is just waiting for a comic-like device fans could easily carry around.

This flexible OLED sheet ,shown at CES, might be one possible future for comic books.

This flexible OLED sheet ,shown at CES, might be one possible future for comic books.

Now that is incredible technology. Remember the tech company that IBM bought years ago that was working on wearable computer gear? They were trying to figure out flexible screen material like that back in the late 90's.

Dear John,

We're buds, but if you aren't going to take the time to read arguments, you can't call BS on anything. I'm not making the same argument people were making in the past, I'm drawing conclusions based on a logical observation and light number crunching. If you don't want to see it because you're elbow deep in the hobby, that's fine, but if you're going to call something BS, state reasons why. :hi:

way to make a little bit of extra cash flow till the stock market comes back for the LONG TERM Investment strategy.

I always thought the best strategy for long term investment was to buy as low as possible, so why should people wait until prices rebound in order to buy? That's herd mentality and you don't make money by following the herd.

Warren Buffet says "Be greedy when others are afraid, and be afraid when others are greedy". Same thing applies to the current comic market; the "greed", or rather the fervor to buy is at an all time high. It's palpable, even through my computer monitor. Don't be a sheep.

I am not even going to try to waste an hour reading threw this thread with the same tiring agruments that are not proven yet.

You know, John, you are much more pleasant in person. :baiting::foryou:

- Gene ("I know I asked for it as bloody as possible, but this steak is flat-out raw")* :eek::whatthe:lol

* We sat next to each other at a Brazilian BBQ joint in NYC over the weekend.

Now that is incredible technology. Remember the tech company that IBM bought years ago that was working on wearable computer gear? They were trying to figure out flexible screen material like that back in the late 90's.

OLED is the future of TVs also. Organic Light Emitting Diodes (I believe) are individual diodes that each display a given color. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes the technology to become affordable.

That's hilarious, as it's EXACTLY what most people on here were saying to Del when he was expounding on the upcoming "credit crunch" and how it would have dire consequences for the world economy.

I agreed, some others did too as it was blatantly obvious, but the majority on here just laughed it off as the ravings of a lunatic. :roflmao:

Dear John,

We're buds, but if you aren't going to take the time to read arguments, you can't call BS on anything. I'm not making the same argument people were making in the past, I'm drawing conclusions based on a logical observation and light number crunching. If you don't want to see it because you're elbow deep in the hobby, that's fine, but if you're going to call something BS, state reasons why. :hi:

way to make a little bit of extra cash flow till the stock market comes back for the LONG TERM Investment strategy.

I always thought the best strategy for long term investment was to buy as low as possible, so why should people wait until prices rebound in order to buy? That's herd mentality and you don't make money by following the herd.

Warren Buffet says "Be greedy when others are afraid, and be afraid when others are greedy". Same thing applies to the current comic market; the "greed", or rather the fervor to buy is at an all time high. It's palpable, even through my computer monitor. Don't be a sheep.

Hey Andy :hi:,

I was waiting to here back from you on this thread. I was going to put an * at the end of my post saying the BS was not at you because I knew you would think I was talking about you, which I was not.

My point is that the market is extremely hot right now and off course these record breaking prices in some cases are way out of line. I have already looked at some of

C-Links record auctions as a WRITE OFF and an outlier on the bell curve due to what I know.

All I am going to say is that I think the market will hit a steady flat ceiling soon, but not a crash.

I like you to Andy :shy:,

John

You know, John, you are much more pleasant in person. :baiting::foryou:

- Gene ("I know I asked for it as bloody as possible, but this steak is flat-out raw")* :eek::whatthe:lol

* We sat next to each other at a Brazilian BBQ joint in NYC over the weekend.

Hey Gene, :hi:

Off course I remember you! It was fun to talk economics with ya in Manhattan.

Yes, you are a vampire when it comes to eating meat. :devil:

Gene: “May I please have the bloodiest slice of prime rib, steak, or pork you have.”

Dude how about A-Rod admitting to Steroids from 2001-2003? doh!

vampire.jpg

That's hilarious, as it's EXACTLY what most people on here were saying to Del when he was expounding on the upcoming "credit crunch" and how it would have dire consequences for the world economy.

I agreed, some others did too as it was blatantly obvious, but the majority on here just laughed it off as the ravings of a lunatic. :roflmao:

NO, :censored:

The Credit Crunch was obvious since I graduated college in 2002.

I might be the only one who was :banana: when it happened.

I think we will look back on this as a much needed CLEAN UP.