• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much would you pay for a 9.9 or a 10 modern comic?????

16 posts in this topic

There aren't many comics I would pay premium for. But I think I would pay $400 for a Civil War #1 variant. Civil War got me back into reading comics again after the clone saga got me out of comics. Also, its the first time I ever seen art by Michael Turner.

$3

To keep - that's about it - to flip - it depends on the likely return. I'm sure somewhere in the few thousand moderns I've picked up over the years there are a few raw 9.9s, but I'm not going to look for them.

No more than I would a 9.8. CGC uses the old inner well to encapsulate these books.....and I have very little faith that these grades can be maintained within the slab.

Maybe $20 to $25 for a modern Batman or Detective in 9.9+. The problem is that for $200+ I can get some beautiful HG bronze or silver books or a great mid-grade GA book, and I think those are a better use of the cash, from a collecting and investment standpoint.

I have three 9.9's and they were from books I submitted myself. I wouldn't actively seek out 9.9's or 10's nor pay a premium for them. However, I acknowledge that getting a 9.9 back from CGC is out of the ordinary. If I ever decided to sell any of them, I would expect to get a little more than 9.8 money for them.

But here's two reasons why I will not pay (much) more for any grade higher that 9.8:

1) the CGC encapsulation and holder may not protect the "perfect" book from the slightest degradation.

2) I'm afraid that one day CGC will begin issuing 9.9's with more regularity and the value of these ultra-high grade moderns will diminish.

Aside from that, they're pretty cool.

No more than I would a 9.8. CGC uses the old inner well to encapsulate these books.....and I have very little faith that these grades can be maintained within the slab.

Good point...but if they use the old well on Moderns where are they using the new wells?

Would never buy one. I read my moderns. That money could be spent on some sweet mid-grade SA. :cloud9:

(thumbs u

Good point...but if they use the old well on Moderns where are they using the new wells?

My understanding is that CGC encapsulates all 9.9/10.0 books using the old inner well.