• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think the ComicConnect Action #1 will sell for?

what will the GRAIL sell for?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. what will the GRAIL sell for?

349 posts in this topic

I would give it the hands down win, if you hadnt included Cap #1 in the same breath as Action #1 and 'tec #27!
lol Then I'm not sure that 100% of my meaning got through. The cultural importance of Captain America #1 places it in a museum along side the other two, regardless of how you feel about the comic itself. You have to put those three together.

So, with no further delay......... go yourself

lol I should have expected such a mature response. This kind of attitude served you so well in the OO thread.

Now maybe we can get back to the original intent of this thread?.....Action #1 auction value

Yes, I'm sure all those prior sales that you posted related to Action #1. What's that you say? They didn't? Oh.

I would give it the hands down win, if you hadnt included Cap #1 in the same breath as Action #1 and 'tec #27!
lol Then I'm not sure that 100% of my meaning got through. The cultural importance of Captain America #1 places it in a museum along side the other two, regardless of how you feel about the comic itself. You have to put those three together.

First, I really did think the post was great! Lots of passion there, it gave me goosebumps. :applause:

But...I just dont get the cultural significance of Cap 1. I think the book is awesome, and hope to own one some day, but what exactly is the cultural significance that puts it in the same catagory as Action 1 and Detective 27? Cap wasnt the first patriotic hero, it wasnt the first war cover or even the first Hitler cover (I dont believe). Cap certainly isnt as important a character as Batman or Superman (or even Spider-man or Hulk).

I`m just curious here, maybe there is something I`m missing. Make a post as passionate as the first one regarding the significance of Cap 1 and you will probably win me over!

mike

the rust on the staples (one heavier than the other) bothered me just a tad bit, as I was not aware of it until I inspected the book in NY...

the book was, of course, discussed at great lengths in NY... Metro and CC's booth was "the" booth in NY

I'm getting ready...

the rust on the staples (one heavier than the other) bothered me just a tad bit, as I was not aware of it until I inspected the book in NY...

the book was, of course, discussed at great lengths in NY... Metro and CC's booth was "the" booth in NY

I'm getting ready...

Rick, is it true what they say, kleneex provided so GA geeks could "clean-up" after viewing the book? :insane:

:jokealert:

I'm getting ready...

Rick, is it true what they say, kleneex provided so GA geeks could "clean-up" after viewing the book? :insane:

:jokealert:

I didn't make too many rounds, but I did stop by and see Ben or Vin every single time I left the booth, and I don't think there was a SINGLE time that someone(s) weren't oogling at that book....

easily "the" talk of the Con (as far as GA comics, and probably comic in General)...

Rusty staples eh? Well what did the kid want for 35 cents! :D

not "rusty", but there is some rust on them...it is very minor, but anyone that is seriously considering bidding on the book, surely inspected it and will come up with their own conclusions as to what is important flaw wise, and what isn't

I will "vote", sooner or later... but, there is no benchmark from which to measure this book, today, in today's economic environment, etc, etc...

I know A1Kid mentioned 750K, I know someone else mentioned sub $250K... the bottom line is that NO ONE knows and NO ONE can predict the ending price, short of "luck".... every reason given is valid to someone (on both ends of the spectrum)...

so, you go with your gut, with your experience, with your knowledge of what potential bidders value the book at, and you make a leap of faith with a $# or a range, from there...

but there will be no "I told you so's" or no "chest thumping" if someone gets it right...it will be purely by dumb luck and should be treated as such (thumbs u

And IMO Marvel Comics 1 is a better cover than Tec 27.
:o

sorry, even though I have a marvel 1 for sale, I gotta say that Tec 27 is a little better (IMO)... but, I think most agree Marvel 1 is the 3rd most important book in the hobby... just a perception of how close to #1 and #2 ...

your truly,

biased Marvel 1 seller lol

From the perspective of collectors, Marvel Comics 1 has got to be in the top 3 as the first Timely book. But from the persective of pop culture, AF 15 is probably the most important Marvel Comic, dwarfing both CA 1 and Marvel Comics 1. And, as I said above, don't sell short the pop culture importance of Wonder Woman. She was, after all, the only female member of the "Big 3." I would bet that many a pop culture historian would view her first cover and origin issue as far more worthy of inclusion in a museum than CA 1.

What interests me when I look at the trend lines in the Price Guides is, to use a provacative phrase, is how less sophisticated comic collectors have become. It used to be that a bunch of non-DC or Marvel books were high value, now, aside from Whiz, they've dropped in the ratings. I love the sig line on here of the former "grails."

I would definitely put AF 15 in third, and 4th and 5th would probably be Fantastic Four 1 and Pep 22. In a few more years, all of those books will be more than 50 years old, but less than 100. In cultural terms, that basically puts them all in the same age. All Marvel 1 has going for it anymore is that it is the start of the Marvel Universe. I view it sort of like Detective 1. Infinitely cool, but thier cultural impact isnt as high as what came after.

I think the fact that the owner quietly enjoyed this book unrestored and uncertified for over 50 years, regardless of exponentially increasing prices and all the different roller coaster trends the market has gone through, sends a relevant and inspiring message about what value really is. I hope it will end up with someone like the previous owner.

All Marvel 1 has going for it anymore is that it is the start of the Marvel Universe. I view it sort of like Detective 1. Infinitely cool, but thier cultural impact isnt as high as what came after.

That's an interesting analogy. Marvel 1 does have the Torch/Subby factor, but I think your logic still holds to a degree.

And IMO Marvel Comics 1 is a better cover than Tec 27.
:o

sorry, even though I have a marvel 1 for sale, I gotta say that Tec 27 is a little better (IMO)... but, I think most agree Marvel 1 is the 3rd most important book in the hobby... just a perception of how close to #1 and #2 ...

your truly,

biased Marvel 1 seller lol

I think it is significantly a better cover than Marvel 1. Clearly Marvel 1 is #3, but you are right, it is the distance between #'s 2 and 3 that can be argued. I personally fell it is a very wide margin. Although, I sure would like to conquer Marvel 1 one day, as it is the only one I haven't owned of all the big books.