• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My NYCC '09 and forum dinner report

84 posts in this topic

Hello,

Welcome to the kc120us 2009 NYCC and forum dinner report. Because of the economy and it's effect on my homestead, I have had to seriously curtail my spending. So I went to this Con more with the idea of checking out the scene, meeting friends and making new ones rather than looking for big ticket items. So, I left for the con a little later than usual and got there a little before noon. This turned out to be a boon for it enabled me to get into the con with very little wait.

Here is a pic from the entrance.

IMG_2674.jpg

And another

IMG_2675.jpg

The place was packed which is amazing given the size of the Javits. Moving around was very slow going.

IMG_2676.jpg

IMG_2677.jpg

I ran into Harry (Burntboy) when finally made it to the comic book section of the show. We chatted bit when Richie Evans (MrBedrock) walked by and joined us. He had picked up some sweet GA pedigree books and was showing them to us. After oggling his books, I departed and made my way to the CGC booth. I had a few books to drop off (some holes in my modern x-men set that needed filling) and I ran into CGCworld and Doc Watson on the way there. We chatted some, they intoduced me to Drew (Wasonff) who is a really nice guy and also saw Danny (Mutankeys) there as well.

I dropped off my books and continued to walk the show. Taking in the sights, sounds, and, unfortunately, smells of the place.

The hardest working man in comics.

IMG_2678.jpg

I saw Dale Roberts' booth and found Doug Schmell manning the hot chair. I introduced myself to Bill (Tuppenyconan) another nice guy and we talked about the night's dinner. As the dinner's organizer, I was doing my best to find all the attendees and make sure they knew where the resturant is located.

I walked some more, ran into Steve Borock at the Heritage booth and introduced myself to Barry Sandoval. Steve accompanied me while we walked more of the show. It is always nice catching up with him. We stopped at Rick's (detctive27kid) booth where we saw Mark Zaid (Esquirecomics) and another board member (his name escapes me :sorry:) and we caught up with what they were doing. A lot of the conversation was about the economy and the current situation. Everyone is feeling it and is concerned.

We chatted with Rick for a bit. Looked at the nice books he had on display. And ran into Doc and CGCworld again. At that time, I had not had anything to eat and fortune was smiling on me as the two Jim's and Rich Evans were on the way to grab some grub. I latched myself to their train and followed them outside. As we waited for Steve B to join us, Milo Ventemiglia (sp) from Heroes walked past us and into the con. Richie and Steve brought us to their favorite nearby pub, Omalley's on 10th ave. We ate, drank and chatted about comics and the boards. If you ever go there, I highly recommend the sheppard's pie. Steve B gratiously picked up the lunch check. Thanks again, Steve.

We went back and split up. I proceeded to walk the other areas of the show. Went down artists alley and saw Chris Claremont. Walked by the Marvel and DC booth. Saw all the gamers and the anime fans. It was a very impressive gathering. But comics are my main love, so I mostly huddled in the Comic book section. I ran into Matt (shiverbones) He was manning Buck Biggin's booth. Unfortunately Buck was no where to be found. I also ran into Darwin (Dmac538) another friend who I've met at previous con's and dinner's. A great guy. I also met Roy(r1970d) another great guy. And Barton (Ghost Town), a guy I am glad I became friends with and who is always fun to chat and walk the con with. A couple of cons ago, he had recommended that since I finished my x-men run, I should go for an Avengers run. Unfortunately, I did not listen.

As it was nearing closing time, I said my goodbyes to those who were not attending the dinner and made my way to the meeting area.

Part two will be coming soon. With pics of the dinner and, hopefully, a short video clip of Steve Borock and Blow up the moon singing karaoke to the tune of "Casey Jones". ......

If anyne knows how to embed an avi file, please let me know. I tried uploading it to my photobucket account but it was too big. Any help would be appreciated.

Part two.....

On my way to the meeting place, I snagged the exclusive wolverine toon tumbler. I always make it a point to pick one up from Paul. I met up with Barton on the way to the CGC booth and we were there for about 15 mintues when the lights started to dim. Shiverbones and Szelim met us at the booth and, having picked up the nametags Bob-a-loo made up for all of us at the CGC booth, we were summarily kicked out of the building, picking Harry up along the way. Following a short walk, we made it to the resturant where a bunch of forumites were already seated and waiting.

Let me just say this was the best forum dinner I have had the pleasure to attend. Yes, I know i'm biased since I organized and maybe it was because I went around and talked with everybody. It was a little crazy at first. Organized chaos is how I would describe it. Only about half the attendees were there at 7:30 since many were working the show and had to close up shop. The owner was getting a little anzy and wanted to fill the empty tables with other patrons. We argued a bit, he was stating that the allotted time started at 7 and as it was 7:45, he wanted to fill the tables. Had he done that, the other half of the dinner who were on their way, many having already paid, would have had no were to sit. Now the owner was a big guy but I was NOT going to have any of it. I had already paid him for 30 people for 3 hours, so don't try to sell me this sh!te. Five minutes later, he came back to me and changed his tune. he reassured me we would have plenty of seats for all my guests.

After that, I was able to relax and have some fun. I handed out the nametags whic were a real treat. Many thanks to Bob Morello (Bob-a-loo) a great guy who put a lot of effort in the tags. Then i was able to take some shots.

Matt(shiverbones) and Szelim

IMG_2679.jpg

Harry(Burntboy) and Bob(Bob-a-loo)

IMG_2680.jpg

Christian(Blowupthemoon) and his girlfriend

IMG_2681.jpg

Christian again and Steve(Evilash)

IMG_2682.jpg

Preacher(he needs to post more)

IMG_2683.jpg

Shawn(PitBoss) and Darwin(Dmac538)

IMG_2684.jpg

Steve Borock and Mark Haspel

IMG_2686.jpg

Stephen(KingofRulers), Bill(Tupennyconan) and Skypinkblu's husband

IMG_2687.jpg

Sharon(Skypinkblu)

IMG_2688.jpg

Mr.Mylar and FFcomics

IMG_2685.jpg

Barry Sandoval, Cheezy Whiz and his girlfriend

IMG_2689.jpg

Ghost Town, Borg and Paul(Silverandbronze)

IMG_2690.jpg

Mark(Esquirecomics)

IMG_2691.jpg

Bradley(BradleyX2)

IMG_2692.jpg

Bob Beerbohm

IMG_2693.jpg

Roy(1970d) and Shiverbones

IMG_2694.jpg

Mark, myself and Harry looking on in the background

IMG_2695.jpg

I cannot tell you how much fun it was meeting everyone. I sat and ate with Matt, Mark, Harry and Paul. We chatted about everything, comics, our lives, everything. It was a pleasure to get to know them better. I chatted with Bob-a-loo and his wife for a while, They were a treat. Bob was an illustrator for Heavy Metal Magazine among others. He was very modest but his wife could stop singing his praises. I hope he will tell us all more about his stories. And perhaps favor us with an illustration.

It was also a treat to meet Christian (Blowupthemoon). He was such a nice guy and seemed to be having a ball. Hopefully, he will come to other NY cons and we can hang out more.

I was very glad to have Mark and Bradley join us for dinner. CGC had not been as much of a presence at Forum dinners as in previous years, so I was happy to see them here. It is not a CGC forum dinner without CGC. And you will not find two nicer guys.

I also want to thank Steve Borock who inspired me at my first forum dinner. He said to me that night "it is all about friendship. Meeting old ones and making new ones." It was in that spirit that I organized this dinner.

Later on we were joined by Peter Dixon and the president of Hero's Initiative whose name escapes me at this moment. The appetizers and entrees were very good. The waitstaff were also excellent. Unfortunately, with such a large crowd and only one cook dinner was slowly served.

Near the end of the party, the karaoke started and Steve B entertained us with his rendtion of "Casey Jones" by the Grateful Dead. He was soon accompanied by Christian and Tupenny.

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2700.jpg

Hopefully, i'll figure out the video part of it. For now these pics will have to suffice.

Thanks again to all who came. Since the next NYCC will be in October, I will tryb to make the next one even better....

:banana:

What a cool event to setup, and looks like quite a few folks had the chance to meet. That's what it's all about.

It is. For me it's the best part of going to a Con.

You did a great job pulling it all together! I had a blast even though was a bit under the weather from a cold that zonked me on the 1st night. There were still a few people I didn't get to meet, so that's a bummer, but it was pretty chaotic in there. Good chaotic of course. The waitress never asked me about my entree, but was so full of beer & appetizers I didn't care. I talked to Bob for a long time & didn't know he did work for Heavy Metal! I want to see! It really was fun to talk to people face to face, there are a bunch of good eggs in that group. Wish Nik was there though. :(

Looks like everyone had fun! Even some people here that usually avoid the camera.

Great organizing job.

Bob Beerbohm

IMG_2693.jpg

How's Bob B doing? I haven't heard from him in ages. Did you talk to him? Has he had his hip(s?) repaired yet, or still suffering? Did he bring a ton of books to sell anyway?

Jack