• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Set your Ebay preferences to avoid deadbeat bidders

25 posts in this topic

Due to the Ebay changes late last year sellers can't leave NFB for deadbeat buyers. This makes it harder to spot the deadbeats because at worst they earn an Unpaid Item Strike for buying but not paying.

Your default preferences may not be protecting you from these deadbeats.

Go here to make the updates ->

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferences

Look for this heading -> Buyers with Unpaid Item strikes

I suggest setting your blocking for Unpaid Item Strikes to offer maximum protection, 2 strikes within 12 months -> Block bidders and buyers who have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 12 month(s)

They've had this for a little while now, and it is interesting when you go back and look at the blocked log who was impacted. You cannot see their username completely, but when I see someone with 1000+ previous purchases getting blocked for unpaid wins, it shows how in the past they would have never been a concern ahead of time without it.

Extremely handy. Also, if someone contacts you and they had past issues but ask not to be blocked, you can insert their username on an exemption list.

With the new ebay interface, you'll need to click on the Account tab first.

1) On your left-hand side, scroll down to the Site Preferences link.

2) Scroll down to Buyers Requirements,and click on the Show link.

3) Now you will see the current requirements you have active for anyone wanting to bid on your items, and right below that is a link Buyer Requirements Activity Log.

If you go into this area, and if you have sold anything in the past 60 days, it will display who the rules blocked from bidding, on what item, and the root cause why they were blocked.

Hope that helps.

Where can you access this log?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it.

It will tell you why the person was blocked and what item they tried to bid on. Pretty cool feature for once.

Yes, very nice. And happily I haven't had any bidders blocked in the last 60 days.

However I had a deadbeat bidder late last year and was sorry to find that this preference was not set to the strictest level. I don't think it would have protected me from this particular deadbeat because I likely gave him his first NPB strike (fairly new bidder who quickly ran up 40 PFBs in a month then :censored: me out of a payment).

Personally I'd like even stricter settings for NPBs!

Ebay's message probably says something like "Hello prospective buyer! This seller is insufficiently_thoughtful_person who doesn't want your money! Please look at Ebay's other sellers who want your money. We know you have 5 unpaid item strikes. You send bad checks to pay for your purchases. You love to do chargebacks. From time to time when you actually pay you randomly leave unwarranted negative feedback for no other reason than just having a bad day and wanting to take it out on a random person. But here at Ebay we still think you buyers RULE! We think buyers are the most important and if we could get rid of seller completely we would. We are doing our best to fee them out of exsistance but this may take awhile. So please bear with us and continue bidding,not paying and leaving negs to your hearts delight. We are sorry this seller blocked you!"

thanks for info.

That featured I mentioned where you can see the blocked user logs to see how effective your rules worked, and why someone was rejected. You would be amazed how many folks get blocked as historic non-paying bidders that have thousands of purchases under their belt.

thanks for info.

That featured I mentioned where you can see the blocked user logs to see how effective your rules worked, and why someone was rejected. You would be amazed how many folks get blocked as historic non-paying bidders that have thousands of purchases under their belt.

It should be interesting,I changed from

Block bidders and buyers who have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 2 month(s)

to now

Block bidders and buyers who have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 12 month(s)

Great info, thanks for sharing.

I have another non-related ebay question I thought I would throw out:

Can you block certain sellers from searches?

I like to search through original art, but would like to block sellers that continue to have ridiculous buy it now prices.

Thanks.