• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a weekend!!!!

34 posts in this topic

This was a very busy weekend for CGC SS. This con had so many guests! Kudos to CGC and all the witnesses attending. This con was a challenge. Plenty of artists showing up late, not showing up at all, ticketed signings, wristband signings with notification the same morning, hidden signings at booths I've never heard of, and signings at the same time at different booths!!! With all that I still managed to get most people that attended except...

The :censored:

Larry Hama - Where the hell were you? rantrant

Al Plastino - $25 bucks for a sig?

Jon Bagdonve - I passed by your booth 5 times and all I saw was your name

Jerry Ordway - Found out about his signing too late

The pain in the arse 1.5 hour wait and the artist left the table - Del otto. Still got all 9 books signed

The surprises..

Romita Jr, Jim Lee, Chris Claremont, all got done fairly easy :cloud9:

The Lucky - Got 6 Dave Gibbons books done with a strict 3 book limit. Us witnesses find our way to get stuff done

The rest - All went well unless they didn't show up

Kudos to Will, Carlos, Ben, Steve, Drew, Shawn, Gary, Kris, and Chris and the rest of the CGC SS crew!!

And a big thanks to anyone that submitted books through me!! It was a fun weekend overall.

PS: I will be pming all my customers within the next two days with your info if I haven't responded yet

al plastino was 10 dollars per sig. I have never heard of a comic artist charging that much for a sig. I mean neal adams is 5 but the first one is free. Steranko only charges if you don't want it personalized. Gene colan is 3 but it goes towards his medical bills. I guess that is his right to charge. But it is our right to refuse to pay.

It was great to meet both of you Dannys. I know I caught both of you at the end of the show, but it was still nice to put faces with names.

Hotflips - I stopped by the booth near closing time on Saturday, but I don't think any board members were there. Oh well. You guys have nice stuff! I'll have to figure out what I need and place an order so I'm ready for the next con. I'm sold on the top-loading shells for safe transportation!

25 is crazy. No artist charges that. I mean frazetta charges alot but he is the master and a true legend. There is no way I will ever pay an artist 25 or more a sig unless it is a private signing with quanity and the artist doesn't attend conventions. I doubt we will see al plastino at alot of cons charging 25 per sig. He would soon find out his following was small.

Yep, totally ridiculous... He even charged for sigs at the DC signing. Gemma tried to get them done for me there (thanks Gemma) and got them back unsigned. Charging at the publishers booth is even more ridiculous!!!!!!!

25 is crazy. No artist charges that. I mean frazetta charges alot but he is the master and a true legend. There is no way I will ever pay an artist 25 or more a sig unless it is a private signing with quanity and the artist doesn't attend conventions. I doubt we will see al plastino at alot of cons charging 25 per sig. He would soon find out his following was small.

You guys do realize that Al Plastino is 87 years old and might very well need the money? The guy was one of the creators of the Legion of Super Heroes, worked with Everett on the early Timely Sub-Mariner comics in the early 1940's, and was one of the most respected Superman artists is all time...he's not Rob Liefeld.

As for attending a lot of cons...I worry more that Al does not have that many conventions left. I don't remember the last one I saw him at.

I mean, if the sigs are for our personal collections I would get one for $25, without batting an eye.

There are guys that have charged A LOT more, and right here on these boards...and they are from every era Gold to Modern.

If the sigs are to slab and sell for profit then I gotta think that Al's got the same right to profit that we do, doesn't he?

Just sayin.....

C

On Al Plastino,

The first few folks the handler asked for $5 per signature. Then the lady looked at the long line and asked if $10 was okay when it was my turn. I didn't have a problem but thought it was odd to be changing rate in the middle of a signing. It was apparent Mr. Plastino never does shows.

However, it was right after me that a guy with original art got into a little heated discussion with Mr. Plastino. Al went on to the effect that he never got paid for the original art and for him to sign the art would cost $100. He was very aware of what the art was worth and quoted prices to the value of it. The guy with the art would not drop it and and kept asking for a lower signature price. Eventually he walked away and Al then started to charge $25 per signature.

I will say he was friendly to me. He browsed through the books I got signed and was amazed at the art he did. The guy behind me (the art guy) couldn't believe I was getting a Superman 72 signed and thought I was defacing the book. I just ignored him but did ask to borrow his thin black marker when I saw Al was signing with a big thick silver sharpie the size of a Bic 44. BTW...He looked good for his age.