• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Force 1 Art

39 posts in this topic

There are other pages from latter five issues in the series available and they are MUCH cheaper.... (like 50-75% cheaper...)

That's what I would expect...when the #1 story sold at auction over 15 years ago it went for $40k+ at the time. I don't know what it sold/traded for recently before it started being broken up by the current owner.

C

Hmm, now to hunt down those latter issues. Honestly, I'm a Stephan Platt fan as well. Sure his stuff was way over the top, but when I was a kid I loved his stuff. Wish I could get something from him as well.

There are other pages from latter five issues in the series available and they are MUCH cheaper.... (like 50-75% cheaper...)

That's what I would expect...when the #1 story sold at auction over 15 years ago it went for $40k+ at the time. I don't know what it sold/traded for recently before it started being broken up by the current owner.

C

I believe it traded for less than that. BUT, the old owner kept the cover which, alone, would command I'd say about 15k in this day and age. (Again though, thats not a reflection on the actual liefeld market...)

C

I don't know if this is a total mental fabrication or not, but I seem to remember they were bought by Graham Nash (of CSNY).

C

I don't know if this is a total mental fabrication or not, but I seem to remember they were bought by Graham Nash (of CSNY).

I don't think that's right. The X-men #1 and X-force #1 were purchased by the same collector at that auction and he owned them both until he recently parted with the X-force interiors.

C

I enjoy his art as well. All artists have their flaws, some more than others. I love McFarlanes art as well, along with Mooney, Kirby, Adams and so on. At the time when he came out it sort of snapped your attention. 2c

I can honestly say I was never a fan in the slightest. There are a few covers of his I like, such as NM87, but I honestly never understood why he was popular even then. All style and no substance. Now I know that doesn't get me a medal or anything and I can see how if you grew up with his art, it would be fun to own as an adult.

The thing about liefeld in my view is that the more you scrutinize his art, you more you see shortcuts and ridiculous errors. Its kind of like the opposite of kirby. Somebody looking at kirby art for the first time in their life would say "THIS guy is arguably the most notable comic artist of all time? His art looks like spoon." But then that first-time kirby viewer sees another 1000 or 10,000 kirby pages and realizes Kirby was great and could draw ANYTHING and impart power and motion to EVERYTHING.

Liefeld you look at the NM87 cover and you think - "hey that's alright" and then you look at another 100 pages and think "how is THIS guy even a professional artist??"

rantrant

well said. I understand Nostalgia, don't get me wrong, but even in High School, I knew this mess was busted. It's hard for me to think of a less capable artist. (shrug)

I can honestly say I was never a fan in the slightest. There are a few covers of his I like, such as NM87, but I honestly never understood why he was popular even then. All style and no substance. Now I know that doesn't get me a medal or anything and I can see how if you grew up with his art, it would be fun to own as an adult.

The thing about liefeld in my view is that the more you scrutinize his art, you more you see shortcuts and ridiculous errors. Its kind of like the opposite of kirby. Somebody looking at kirby art for the first time in their life would say "THIS guy is arguably the most notable comic artist of all time? His art looks like spoon." But then that first-time kirby viewer sees another 1000 or 10,000 kirby pages and realizes Kirby was great and could draw ANYTHING and impart power and motion to EVERYTHING.

Liefeld you look at the NM87 cover and you think - "hey that's alright" and then you look at another 100 pages and think "how is THIS guy even a professional artist??"

rantrant

well said. I understand Nostalgia, don't get me wrong, but even in High School, I knew this mess was busted. It's hard for me to think of a less capable artist. (shrug)

I tried to find one....but I have thus far failed. :sorry:

Even this guy could draw someone not squinting and with pupils.....

recent11.jpg

Ok for all the Liefield bashers out there, I have the perfect story for you. I went to this years Phoenix con, and Rob was there. So I figured I would get a Deadpool sketch from him. It turned out perfect, a nice Deadpool, with NO FEET. HAHA how perfect is that! lol

deadpool.jpg

I think one of the reasons Liefeld gets bashed so much is because here's a guy with a lot of natural talent - -and instead of developing that talent, he's just done the same thing over the years -- sure, he's gotten better with practice, but he clearly hasn't tried to become a better artist. His weakness was always feet, and as your drawing shows, he's never learned to develop his weaknesses -- just build on his strengths. I think collectors admire an artist that grows and works on their craft over time. Take the late Seth Fisher. Here was a naturally talented artist that only wanted to get better. He recognized that his weakness was drawing buildings - so he took a class in architectual drawing and worked on his craft. Have you seen the way Seth drew buildings in Batman: Snow? If not, check out my CAF page. And Seth is an artist whose influence you can absolutely see throughout current artists today -- his legacy lives on. You certainly can't say that for Liefeld -- if he wasn't riding the nostalgia factor, he wouldn't be a working artist today (though he's clearly an astute business man having just sold Youngblood to Hollywood).

I think one of the reasons Liefeld gets bashed so much is because here's a guy with a lot of natural talent - -and instead of developing that talent, he's just done the same thing over the years -- sure, he's gotten better with practice, but he clearly hasn't tried to become a better artist.

Sorry but I feel his art has actually got worse over the years.

Yeah - but one of his more memorable covers, New Mutants #87, just sold on eBay last August for $510.

Sold at the same time as his Marvel Apes variant which went for $660.

Correct me if I'm wrong - that wasn't a recreation was it? (I honestly didn't look closely. I was more interested in the monkey version.)

Yeah - but one of his more memorable covers, New Mutants #87, just sold on eBay last August for $510.

The NM #87 was a recreation, not the original. It wasn't the Donnelly piece, either.

The Donnelly piece is an "unused" cover that contains no original Liefeld artwork; it was an inking sample over a copy of Liefeld's original pencils. (I checked into it because I would LOVE to have the original artwork to NM #87.)