• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show you mega duplicates

280 posts in this topic

If that's the case then why all the need for the multiple duplicates? You can collect what you like, but your "hoards" indicate either you're hoarding for investment purposes or have a sickness.

This goes far beyond Cal's obsession with one comic...at the end of the day you can rationalize it as a quirk. But to hoard at the scale you're doing it seems crazy and bordering on acutely obsessive...

Jim

One more thing...I'm not a "hoarder" like the people with that very real sickness, because I don't "hoard" anything that I don't believe will eventually, hopefully, maybe, increase in value.

I don't have stacks of old newspapers, beer cans, whatev, lying around.

I don't buy cases of books like Armorines #17, for example.

There are classic investor/hoarders who had literally millions of silver dollars that they hoarded in their basements in Nevada. There are hoarders who have stacks and stacks of gold, platinum, palladium bars.

"Who needs all that gold"? Well, they believe that that gold will eventually be worth more than they paid for it...or, they believe in the impending Armageddon, take your pick.

My hoards pale in comparison.

Rock, I personally don't think you need to explain yourself AT ALL! More power to you in your "hoards"! Collect what you want and as many as you want... For any one to make derogatory comments, they more than likely come from a jealous bone they have in their body :sumo: Who cares if you are holding on to them for profit! I would say that 90% (probably more) of us collectors hope to one day unleash our goods for a profit... anyone who says otherwise is full of mess!

Keep up the good work!

(thumbs u

IMG_1176.jpg

Very cool...

But seeing this kinda makes me lose my enthusiasm for the supposedly tough Pre-Unity 9.8 Valiants.

:eek:

And I'll never pay more than $5 for a McFarlane ASM again. :eek::eek:

Yeah, they're not tough. ;)

The only really tough pre-Unitys are Harby #1, Vintage Magnus 1-4, and Solar #10 (1st or 2nd)...MAYBE Magnus #7.

The others are UBER common.

And except for (potential) 9.8s, no one should ever pay more than $5 for a Spidey #301-328. ;)

IMG_1176.jpg

Very cool...

But seeing this kinda makes me lose my enthusiasm for the supposedly tough Pre-Unity 9.8 Valiants.

They are still rare because many hard core Valiant fans have nearly all of them lol

Back in the day I knew a guy who invested in Valiant before they hit it big. Had long boxes of Harby 1, Solars, Magnus, etc..

I cringe when I look at what I paid for a few 9.8 Valiants a year ago. With the exception of Harbinger 1, most everything else just keeps coming out of the woodwork.

I've tried for 6 years to tell people not to pay crazy amounts for modern 9.8s, ESPECIALLY Valiants.

It (mostly) fell on deaf ears, and I was even attacked by sellers who were obviously protecting THEIR interests in keeping prices high, but were never honest enough to admit that.

Especially when you consider folks like Aug008, who recently spent $5,000+ for a 9.8 Platinum Bloodshot (just as an example), and who drive the market to dizzying heights.

IF it's something you really want, and you can afford it, I've always said "buy it"... but with the caveat that the odds are very great (and I have yet to be proven wrong on this) that a similar copy will show up in the same condition, for less, down the line.

This is confined to MODERNS, by the way...books from essentially 1980-present.

One only needs to look at the thousands and thousands of slabbed moderns that have sold in the past, say, 5 years, bring up GPA graphs, and know this is true 999 times out of 1,000.

Jan, 2008, Batman #428 in 9.8 sells for $969. May-ish (I'd have to look it up), one of my copies sells for $661. A few weeks ago, I sold another one for $405.

And that's a book with only 13 copies on the census.

I've got four Harby 1s at CGC right now. Matt Nelson looked at them at NYCC and thinks they stand a good shot at 9.8 (I think so, too, which is why I submitted them.)

I've got 15-20 more just like those in a box here. Now, granted, I VERY meticulously bought these, I've been buying Harby 1s since they first came out, and Harby #1 is a genuinely rare book in 9.8 comparatively....but by the same token, there are at least a handful of others who have copies like these, too.

I even fell into the trap four or so years ago...I noticed that Archer & Armstrong #0 had only 13 copies in 9.8, second only to Harby #1 (which at the time had like 7-8)...so, I thought, maybe it IS rare in high grade. I bought THREE 9.8s for about $30 each...last April, I sold one For $12. Sigh.

IMG_1176.jpg

Very cool...

They are still rare because many hard core Valiant fans have nearly all of them lol

Back in the day I knew a guy who invested in Valiant before they hit it big. Had long boxes of Harby 1, Solars, Magnus, etc..

Greg Buls...?

IMG_1176.jpg

Very cool...

Yeah, they're not tough. ;)

The only really tough pre-Unitys are Harby #1, Vintage Magnus 1-4, and Solar #10 (1st or 2nd)...MAYBE Magnus #7.

The others are UBER common.

And except for (potential) 9.8s, no one should ever pay more than $5 for a Spidey #301-328. ;)

went to view a collection about 3 years ago with a view to buying.

I turned it down as it was a mass of junk but I do remember a long box full of 1st print Solar 10

sometimes you just wind up getting the same book over and over. if you're a a bargain bin diver and go to several shows every year and go home with a long box of fun each time, chances are you may hit the same books over and over at each show. my logic usually is if it seems like a great "deal" at whatever price they're charging, i buy another copy, even if i know i have several more at home. i don't have a list, so i never know exactly how many more i have.

So, can I just answer this by saying "long term investment"...?

...without, ya know, being called sick and crazy?

:(

:roflmao:

Why are you trying to start a fight...?

Because after our first discussion, the ROE thread, and this one, I see someone that needs a little help in life, but not rough handling like you suggested to help people overcome their ills.

So, can I just answer this by saying "long term investment"...?

...without, ya know, being called sick and crazy?

:(

:roflmao:

Why are you trying to start a fight...?

Because after our first discussion, the ROE thread, and this one, I see someone that needs a little help in life, but not rough handling like you suggested to help people overcome their ills.

Cool. Another guy with a chip on his shoulder looking for someone to knock it off. Neat. Those are kinda rare on the internet....

I like the photos guys. Not sure why there needs to be an argument in here though.

Mica, too long to go into but this spills into a few threads where he likes to preach, dictate history, and then get over-offended to the extreme if you challenge his thoughts.

I like the photos guys. Not sure why there needs to be an argument in here though.

Mica, too long to go into but this spills into a few threads where he likes to preach, dictate history, and then get over-offended to the extreme if you challenge his thoughts.

As long as there's a good reason. (thumbs u