• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what happened to all the Gold

22 posts in this topic

Is it just me and the books I'm looking for or has the selection of Gold on Ebay really hit the skids the past few months. Summer was great I filled lots of my want lists but the past 5-6 months there is nothing up. I realise this sounds vague so........... I'm looking for Fox, MLJ's, Holyoke, some Timely's and any really cool Golden Age covers. Used to be each week I was either bidding or at least interested in several books now its sleeping.gifzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz mad.gifmad.gif

I've given up on eBay for Golden Age books. Realistically they probably won't show up there for me. Mostly because I really only collect Captain America G.A. books and only ones in upper-mid grade to high grade. The ones that do show up on eBay tend to be the same ones over and over again.

Brian

FL, I have noticed the exact same thing on ebay. I'm wondering if the sales have moved elsewhere (Heritage, seller's own websites, major conventions, etc.), or that there's not a lot of Gold left out there for sale (perhaps CGC has caused a lot to move off the market into collectors and "investors" hands for long-term periods), or what. Has ebay charges and Paypal fees caused seller's to lose interest in ebay?? I don't know - I just buy, never sell. Has there been a price correction that has caused potential sellers to hold onto books until prices get better again? I usually watch World's FInest, Captain Marvel Jr. and Mary Marvel, and Jungle Comics, and the pickings are slim or non-existent the past six months or so. Any thoughts on this??

I never found ebay to be a great place for gold books. Some other one's to check are ones you've probably already been to: Jay Parrino (overinflated prices but museum quality books with over $10 million more inventory coming early next year), Comiclink which has a good selection, PGCMint which has great books but you'll pay for them. However I still feel heritage and metropolis have the best stuff. Decent prices along with the most selection.

I have a couple of titles that I have been looking for in VF or above for the past 6-months on Ebay with no luck. I see an occasional VG pop up here or there, but not the higher grade stuff, and we are not talking about rare superhero stuff either. 893frustrated.gif

have a couple of titles that I have been looking for in VF or above for the past 6-months on Ebay with no luck. I see an occasional VG pop up here or there, but not the higher grade stuff, and we are not talking about rare superhero stuff either.

Usually the super-hero books are the easier books to find.

There are lots of 50's Horror and Sci-Fi books that I want in VF or better (yes, I prefer them CGC graded). Sometimes, it takes a few months for me to even get one book.

I have probably 10-15 CGC books that are the highest graded copy (at this time) and NONE are NM 9.4. Most are VF 8.0 to NM 9.2.

There is no comparison between Gold and Silver in regards to CGC copies available in grades of VF 8.0 and higher.

As a very general matter, it seems that EBay caters to the cost-conscious collector who in order to save money is willing to (a) spend time searching on EBay, (b) wait for what he wants until is shows up and, © most importantly, settle for a G or VG instead of a VF or better. Heritage, Metropolis and other venues that make it easy do so at a premium, and they attract the collector who is willing to pay more, be it for convenience or condition. At the moment, the sweet spot seems to be in the F to VF range: It's too expensive for EBay bidders willing to live with a lower grade, and too low grade for Heritage bidders. I think it's in that price range where you can get the best bang for the buck on Golden Age books. I assume Metropolis's books are not moving well in those grades either, but that doesn't mean they're willing to lower their prices. So every few months I visit the books I still need on their site. They're not in my collection, true enough, but at least I know they're still somewhere in New York....

As a very general matter, it seems that EBay caters to the cost-conscious collector who in order to save money is willing to (a) spend time searching on EBay, (b) wait for what he wants until is shows up and, © most importantly, settle for a G or VG instead of a VF or better. Heritage, Metropolis and other venues that make it easy do so at a premium, and they attract the collector who is willing to pay more, be it for convenience or condition. At the moment, the sweet spot seems to be in the F to VF range: It's too expensive for EBay bidders willing to live with a lower grade, and too low grade for Heritage bidders. I think it's in that price range where you can get the best bang for the buck on Golden Age books. I assume Metropolis's books are not moving well in those grades either, but that doesn't mean they're willing to lower their prices. So every few months I visit the books I still need on their site. They're not in my collection, true enough, but at least I know they're still somewhere in New York....

There's bargains galore on Heritage for those "sweet spot" books if you buy them raw. With some careful shopping and a watchful eye, you can get some great books at a fration of OS value.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have probably 10-15 CGC books that are the highest graded copy (at this time) and NONE are NM 9.4. Most are VF 8.0 to NM 9.2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same here, I have 4 of the highest graded and they range from a CGC 7.5 to a 9.2.

Yeah buddy!!!! thumbsup2.gif

It's nice to have the highest graded copy without having to pay a true NM premium. Of course, I'm always expecting that another nicer copy will come along (and then I'll have to buy that one cool.gif)

At this time, I only buy from eBay (not to often), Heritage (a lot but unfortunately getting less) and Comiclink (two nice books this week).

While the other dealers have some great books, unless it's just a book you can't live without, there's a reasonable chance that you can eventually get the book cheaper. That's because the three groups that I buy from are Middle-Men and are only taking a cut of the sale. They are not buying the book, putting it in inventory and pricing it with the idea that it doesn't really matter if it sell today, next month or next year, as long as they get the price they want.

well I'm a bargain shopper and VG is fine by me. Problem is the titles I want simply arent available on Ebay anymore I used to pick up a few books a month which suited my budget and kept the juices flowing so to speak. When I dont pick up anything for a long time I tend to go into hibernation mode and stop looking altogether. I've bought few things from Heritage but never at a great bargain price The books I did buy from them were things I was willing to pay close to guide or even a little over for. Metropolis doesnt deal on their prices and they dont even have much to offer from what I'm looking for. Comic Link has the same books up that have been there for the past 2-3 years and rarely do any books pop up I want its mostly the home of the highest graded CGC book of the week. Conventions are a waste of time I see the same books on the wall year after year. I did very well on Ebay from the summer of 1998 till this past summer picking up lots of books from my wantlist and some stuff that was too cool and just too cheap to pass up. Has all the better raw stuff found its way to permament collections? Sometimes its months before I see one of the Catmans, Peps, Zips etc I'm lookinf for other than the few that keep getting relisted over and over

I can relate. I collect mainstream golden age books, usually early issues or 1st appearances. I have bought 2 books on E-Bay since the summer. I usually buy mid grade books. I have not bought a book in the last few Heritage auctions as my want list couldn't match the prices I had to pay. Conventions are a waste of time. Price is a major factor in my buying. The flip side is that I sell books based on my ability to buy books. If I must pay high prices to buy I will offer my books at high prices. If nothing sells then I am not particularly bothered as it only costs me a few dollars to list on E-Bay. In sum, I am not buying nor am I listing many books on E-Bay. If prices are up somewhat for the books I wish to buy, I will be convinced that the rise was real when I begin to make sales at prices higher than I expected to receive.

Wanted to add my other frustration with Gold comics and eBay. When some good books do show up, they're priced outside the realm of reason. Most of these people seem to be geniuses who buy them on Heritage for a normal price and then decide maybe they should milk it on eBay to see if they can get more. Which results in huge reserves or high start prices which never get met. It's really annoying. frown.gif

Brian

I hear ya Murph, but that is definitely one way to "flip" books.

Because Heritage has so many books that end at one time, there are always more bargains available. Yes, most of the bargains are nothing that I want, but everyone once in a while, a book or two will slip through at a very reasonable price.

Usually the bargains are more in the mid grade items (even as high as VF) where Heritage doesn't have a reserve (bump). Or they are the more common Silver-Age books in less than NM (9.4) condition.

Wanted to add my other frustration with Gold comics and eBay. When some good books do show up, they're priced outside the realm of reason. Most of these people seem to be geniuses who buy them on Heritage for a normal price and then decide maybe they should milk it on eBay to see if they can get more. Which results in huge reserves or high start prices which never get met. It's really annoying. frown.gif

Brian

Did you bid on the Cap 37 that ended yesterday? The book which the seller bought on Heritage and flipped on ebay for what, a $500 profit? Reserve was met well before the final hammer price...

Speaking of Heritage, the last and current auctions were/are quite disappointing, IMO. But, my first Heritage purchase was off the last Heritage auction, and I can't wait to get it. Got a CGC 4.5 for about 90% of the OStreet 4.0 price. Not planning on selling it, but I can't really blame any buyer who buys from Heritage and tries to flip it - that's the essence of capitalism - if they do sell it, more power to 'em, and if not, it's their book to have. I just wouldn't try to make a living doing that unless you've got some serious $$, patience and a lot of expertise...

I wasn't referring to any sort of bargain. I was mainly speaking of the mid-upper grade Caps that they sell on their for at or above "market". And then the winner tries to mark it up another 250, 500, or even 1,000 dollars beyond what anyone would realistically pay. That really annoys me.

Brian