• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatever happened with Eides and the Detective 27 Scandal???

48 posts in this topic

It was conjecture that the new 6.5 was that book but as far as I know that was never confirmed by anyone with actual knowledge vs speculation.

Conjecture, sure, but with an extremely high likelihood of truth. The extreme scarcity of high grade copies of this book, coupled with the match in the timing of the appearance of the 6.5 blue labeled copy with Todd's purchase isn't proof Todd's book garnered a blue label, but is very suggestive of it.

actually last I heard the book has not been slabbed and there is no plan as of yet to do so.

Eides simply claimed the book was trimmed because of that piece sticking out and refused to buy it. The book was so clearly not trimmed and Todd made a very smart business decision and snapped it up.

Definetely not Danny Dupcak that sold it either.

Edited by Comixcroz

There's more to this story. Unfortunately I'm not privy to all of the gory details, but I don't think this saga had the Disney.Happy Ending that so many people assume.

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

There's more to this story. Unfortunately I'm not privy to all of the gory details, but I don't think this saga had the Disney.Happy Ending that so many people assume.

Spoiler

Tease

giphy.gif

Danny really did sell the book to Todd McDevitt

On 5/1/2020 at 7:00 AM, telerites said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Tease

giphy.gif

There are a couple of boardies who know what went down, but they don't seem to want to talk about it. After all this time, maybe they feel it's water under the bridge. But I'm always interested in the life and larceny of Danny Cupcake.

3 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

There are a couple of boardies who know what went down, but they don't seem to want to talk about it. After all this time, maybe they feel it's water under the bridge. But I'm always interested in the life and larceny of Danny Cupcake.

Yeah - I have posted several times of how Dupdork cheated me some 30 years ago.  Just amazed how he has been able to continue his deceit. 

30 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

What's really never been cleared up by Eides (or anyone else) is how it was known to be actually Dupcak.

Danny seemed to have changed physically, over time, from his Fantazia/mugshot days and the mugshot (taken in 1997) was really the last known public photo of him.

And Pittsburgh? (something about being in town for a bowling tournament or other?)

I wouldn't put it past him to pull off something along these lines, as George Costanza would say about Jon...um, I mean... JOHN Voight's LeBaron - "That's the beauty of it!"

Edited by DanCooper

30 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

Is this the video and book?

28 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

:popcorn:

Todd McDevitt certainly got a lot of attention from the media and the comics community at the time. 

Found this online post from 2007 with some details: http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=51&sid=86e74c27cbf2e39058697738f91bc506

12 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

What's really never been cleared up by Eides (or anyone else) is how it was known to be actually Dupcak.

Danny seemed to have changed physically, over time, from his Fantazia/mugshot days and the mugshot (taken in 1997) was really the last known public photo of him.

And Pittsburgh? (something about being in town for a bowling tournament or other?)

I wouldn't put it past him to pull off something along these lines, as George Costanza would say about Jon...um, I mean... JOHN Voight's LeBaron - "That's the beauty of it!"

So the Detective 27 referenced in this video graded trimmed, or purple label for a different reason?

One of the links here leads to language about this Detective 27 being part of a group of books, all offered to Edie's, suspecting fraud, Edie's passed, the books were sold to the gentleman in this video and later showed up graded with blue labels in Heritage auctions. Is that all part of the same deal? And if so, what turned out to be restored? Just the Det 27? Lots of conflicting info. Cliff notes please!

Edited by James J Johnson

5 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

:popcorn:

Todd McDevitt certainly got a lot of attention from the media and the comics community at the time. 

Found this online post from 2007 with some details: http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=51&sid=86e74c27cbf2e39058697738f91bc506

A poster named Whetton states something to the effect of many, if not all, of the other 68 books bought by Todd along with the Det 27 had signs of alteration, but the Det 27 didn't? Is that right? There's another thread I found about some early Actions in that group that later were included in Heritage auctions, and they graded blue. So conflicting info there too.

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

Quite the accusation to make with literally ZERO evidence of it. As I remember, Eides is the only one that claimed this, claimed he had evidence and then when pressed, never produced any evidence at all. 

57 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

So the Detective 27 referenced in this video graded trimmed, or purple label for a different reason?

One of the links here leads to language about this Detective 27 being part of a group of books, all offered to Edie's, suspecting fraud, Edie's passed, the books were sold to the gentleman in this video and later showed up graded with blue labels in Heritage auctions. Is that all part of the same deal? And if so, what turned out to be restored? Just the Det 27? Lots of conflicting info. Cliff notes please!

The Detective 27 wasn't graded.

Just now, LordRahl said:

Quite the accusation to make with literally ZERO evidence of it. As I remember, Eides is the only one that claimed this, claimed he had evidence and then when pressed, never produced any evidence at all.i

I wish I could say more. I.probably should.have left this thread alone.