• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

South Park Vs Family Guy...

58 posts in this topic

South Park is heavily political and usually pretty on time with mocking current events within media and politics. I have always seen South Park as a very political cartoon, just biased in the way that it's creators control what is said.

Actually, South Park is pretty balanced in its skewering of different groups. Just look at the episode where Obama wins the election. They prey upon the idiocy and extremism in both camps. I find South Park to be equally mocking of all groups. As long as there are fools to make fun of, South Park will be there to do it.

Family Guy definitely leans much more straight-forward liberal.

Both are two of the best cartoons out right now. (thumbs u

While I grew up with SP as well, over the years, it has just gotten political/current events.. While its still hilarious, its not as good as it once was.. Too obscure now. I love Family Guy. I love how an entire episode can be them reference stuff that nobody knows, or those long musicals.. they are all entertaining to me, although I feel that they step "over the line" many a time...

Uh, what? You may want to re-think your assertion. South Park is too obscure but you love Family Guy because it's too obscure? :makepoint:

While I grew up with SP as well, over the years, it has just gotten political/current events.. While its still hilarious, its not as good as it once was.. Too obscure now. I love Family Guy. I love how an entire episode can be them reference stuff that nobody knows, or those long musicals.. they are all entertaining to me, although I feel that they step "over the line" many a time...

Uh, what? You may want to re-think your assertion. South Park is too obscure but you love Family Guy because it's too obscure? :makepoint:

Both obscure. Just one makes me laugh more :)

I think its pretty much that Family Guy reaches for the laugh and South Park reaches for the statement..

Forgot to mention my preference...

I have 48 South Park episodes in my Zune 80 (yeah I got a Zune. So what? Wanna fight about it? (FG refference). Better than an iPod any day) and one Family Guy episode, the Star Wars special.

That Family Guy Star Wars movie was one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. Brilliant. However all the other FG episodes are just OK.

The best South Park episodes IMO: Guitar Queer-o, World of Warcraft and Ungroundable

The best South Park episodes IMO: Guitar Queer-o, World of Warcraft and Ungroundable

I concur on the WOW ep...certainly one of their funniest!!

i can watch family guy with my 3 1/2 year old (although i probably shouldn't...but he requests it...sometimes i cover his eyes). not going to happen with south park!

i like them both...i guess nowadays i'm a little more drawn to FG. my wife is more likely to have us watch SP when, let's say, she only wants to stay up another 30 minutes and doesn't feel like DVRing a one hour show.

our 3.5 yo daughter loves FG as well. we have the same reaction! :roflmao:

:hi:

Family Guy all the way!! I've never been that big a fan of South Park I mean I'll check out an episode once in a while but I never laugh as much as when I watch Family Guy. The only thing South Park related that I thought was hilarious was the movie and that's one thing Family Guy can't seem to do right because The Stewie Griffin Story IMO was one of their worst. But I defintley think Family Guy has more memorable quotes. Giggity!!!

I've enjoyed them both, but South Park's "Manatee" episode was such a blistering satire of FG that I find myself laughing FOR South Park to this day, while watching Family Guy! SP dealt a deadly blow to FG when their spoof of FG was so dead-on that even watching the real FG now seems like mockery of itself. And nobody on TV gets better lines than Cartman--nobody.

I'm not a prude, but I do find the constant use of rape jokes to be offensive. SP, FG, and even Robot Chicken have made rape a default go-to punchline when they're out of ideas. After a while, it stops being witty and seems needless.

I've always loved the Simpsons but lately it's seemed very tame. The first 5 minutes are always awesome, until it set up the main plot--at which point Simpsons seems forced. If Simpsons would go "plotless" and just string together character-druven irreverence, I would like it better.

Man, I remember catching South Park somewhere during the first six episodes, and quickly called up my sister (who was in high school at the time). I asked her if anyone was talking about the show, and she said they weren't. I told her it was only a matter of time. The tape I made of the first few episodes I passed around to all of my college friends...

The odd thing is that after college I never really tuned into the show. But I did catch all of American Dad :)

South Park wins in my book, but I like them both. Anyone remember the South Parks with the Little League playoffs or the one with the Civil War re-enactment? There aren't many better episodes out there. Loved the Family Guy Star Wars movie too. They are both good but I feel SP is more consistent,.