• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When is One a High Grade Collector?

162 posts in this topic

We've had this same discussion before and high grade means high grade no matter what the era. A 6.0 GA book may be the highest existing copy, and the highest grade for that particular issue but it should ALWAYS be considered a mid grade issue. A copper 9.0 issus IS high grade, yes there are probably 10,000 copies that are higher grade but it doesn't mean the 9.0 isn't high grade...there are still the other 190,000 from the print run that aren't as high grade as the 9.0.

If one consistently searches out VF+'s and better for their collection (no matter what the era) they are a high grade collector. One who is happy with VG readers is not, it's fairly simple. If you buy a modern book off the rack and check through all ten copies to see what the nicest copy is, you are a high grade collector...if you take the issue off the top of the pile without looking at the rest, you are not.

Jim

I think I understand now - High Grade = Common

:jokealert:

It's just that I personally would rather own a Showcase 4 in 7.0 than a Hulk 181 in 9.6, but that's just me.

What makes a high grade collector special? I don't think we know each other, but I believe you're a dealer. Would you happen to have an FF #1 8.0 in your inventory? I'll bet you can get me a GS X-Men in 9.6 before the end of the week. I would also like to see a Tec 31 Blue Label in the 6.0 range.

With all due respect...I DO judge a book by it's cover.

I'm having some trouble following the coherency of this post but seeing as you've quoted me, I'm going to assume your post is directed at me and I'd like to rebut.

First off I'm not a dealer and I'm not sure where you got that impression. I never once brought up Hulk #181 and/or GSX #1 as an example to support my arguement either, so I'm not sure where those examples came from?

As for wanting a 7.0 Showcase #4 over a 9.6 Hulk #181, I wouldn't blame you, the Showcase #4 is a better book but it is still not a high grade book. There are five copies that grade 8.5 or better...those are the high grade copies of the book. Yes Tec 31 is a super tough book with only one 8.0 on the census but it does exist in high grade, the 6.0 you are looking for maybe an impossible find but you are still chasing a mid grade book. Nobody has once inferred that what you collect is "shyte" as you put in a previous post. So high grade does not equal common, it is uncommon, hence the premiums paid. It's not really rocket science.

Jim

We've had this same discussion before and high grade means high grade no matter what the era. A 6.0 GA book may be the highest existing copy, and the highest grade for that particular issue but it should ALWAYS be considered a mid grade issue. A copper 9.0 issus IS high grade, yes there are probably 10,000 copies that are higher grade but it doesn't mean the 9.0 isn't high grade...there are still the other 190,000 from the print run that aren't as high grade as the 9.0.

If one consistently searches out VF+'s and better for their collection (no matter what the era) they are a high grade collector. One who is happy with VG readers is not, it's fairly simple. If you buy a modern book off the rack and check through all ten copies to see what the nicest copy is, you are a high grade collector...if you take the issue off the top of the pile without looking at the rest, you are not.

Jim

It's just that I personally would rather own a Showcase 4 in 7.0 than a Hulk 181 in 9.6, but that's just me.

What makes a high grade collector special? I don't think we know each other, but I believe you're a dealer. Would you happen to have an FF #1 8.0 in your inventory? I'll bet you can get me a GS X-Men in 9.6 before the end of the week. I would also like to see a Tec 31 Blue Label in the 6.0 range.

I'm having some trouble following the coherency of this post but seeing as you've quoted me, I'm going to assume your post is directed at me and I'd like to rebut.

First off I'm not a dealer and I'm not sure where you got that impression. I never once brought up Hulk #181 and/or GSX #1 as an example to support my arguement either, so I'm not sure where those examples came from?

As for wanting a 7.0 Showcase #4 over a 9.6 Hulk #181, I wouldn't blame you, the Showcase #4 is a better book but it is still not a high grade book. There are five copies that grade 8.5 or better...those are the high grade copies of the book. Yes Tec 31 is a super tough book with only one 8.0 on the census but it does exist in high grade, the 6.0 you are looking for maybe an impossible find but you are still chasing a mid grade book. Nobody has once inferred that what you collect is "shyte" as you put in a previous post. So high grade does not equal common, it is uncommon, hence the premiums paid. It's not really rocket science.

Jim

Hi Jim. You seem like a nice enough fellow, and I don't want to get into a (p)issing match here. The reason that I thought you were a dealer is because I thought that your username was a company I had seen advertised. Anyway, I was simply adding my 2c to the topic, which I've noticed is quite common on these boards. I'm just trying to make a few points.

One is, yes you are correct in stating that it's not rocket science, but it is history. That history being that books from the 40's through the 60's are much more scarce than those from the 80's on up. When looking at the big picture, a book from 1939 that has been labeled as a 7.5 VF- is, in fact, high-grade for that particular book.

My other point, which I made earlier and should make me unpopular around here, is that this whole 9.8, 9.6, 9.4 :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: thing is along the lines of "mine is bigger than yours" and who has a bigger gun, etc. It's just my opinion and I'm sticking to it (however, no longer debating it).

I'll leave this off with a simple question...whaddaya think those 9.8 Obama Spidey's will be selling for in about a year? Peace :)

As for what makes a high grade collector special, that you asked...not a damn thing that I can tell, it's a persons character that makes them special or not.

Jim

Jim,

You ARE "special"

Pat-

C'mon, Pat...where's the love for me, you 9.8 collecting :censored:

Sheeesshhhh.. (shrug)

I have silver-age runs I collect high grade Vf+ and up. And many that I accept VG- or better such as the funny animals and romance titles. I love the books and if I want to own many copies I can't be picky with everything. So..am I a HG collector? Or am I a low grade collector?

I collect both.

And to me..some of the early silver Dc's pre 1964 in 7 or 7.5 are perfectly acceptable in my (suitable for me)HG runs..but I will upgrade as I get the opportunity.

I'd rather have complete run of House of Mystery 7 thru 15 from the 50's in 6.5 or 7.0 than just a couple issues in 9.0 or better. Afterall..I enjoy reading them as well.

My 2c:popcorn:

Jim

Jim

Hi Jim. You seem like a nice enough fellow, and I don't want to get into a (p)issing match here. The reason that I thought you were a dealer is because I thought that your username was a company I had seen advertised. Anyway, I was simply adding my 2c to the topic, which I've noticed is quite common on these boards. I'm just trying to make a few points.

One is, yes you are correct in stating that it's not rocket science, but it is history. That history being that books from the 40's through the 60's are much more scarce than those from the 80's on up. When looking at the big picture, a book from 1939 that has been labeled as a 7.5 VF- is, in fact, high-grade for that particular book.

My other point, which I made earlier and should make me unpopular around here, is that this whole 9.8, 9.6, 9.4 :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: thing is along the lines of "mine is bigger than yours" and who has a bigger gun, etc. It's just my opinion and I'm sticking to it (however, no longer debating it).

I'll leave this off with a simple question...whaddaya think those 9.8 Obama Spidey's will be selling for in about a year? Peace :)

Rich: Those 9.8's Obama books should be worth in a year about the same that they SHOULD be worth right now...not a helluva lot.

As for books from 1939 through to the early 60's, I agree that some don't even exist in high grades but I differentiated between high grade and highest grade for a particular issue, I don't necessarily believe they can be one and the same. If a book doesn't exist in high grade, it just doesn't exist period but you can't say a 4.0 that might be the nicest known copy is a high grade book can you?

BTW I collect "high grade" Gold, I don't profess to know more than anybody else or be better than anybody else...I just like what I like.

Jim

I just like what I like

I like what you like too!

I like what you like just as much too :)

Jim

That's what worries me! :cry:

Jim

Jim

Rich: Those 9.8's Obama books should be worth in a year about the same that they SHOULD be worth right now...not a helluva lot.

As for books from 1939 through to the early 60's, I agree that some don't even exist in high grades but I differentiated between high grade and highest grade for a particular issue, I don't necessarily believe they can be one and the same. If a book doesn't exist in high grade, it just doesn't exist period but you can't say a 4.0 that might be the nicest known copy is a high grade book can you?

BTW I collect "high grade" Gold, I don't profess to know more than anybody else or be better than anybody else...I just like what I like.

Jim

The monetary value of a book has no reflection on whether it is a high grade copy or not. Those 9.8 Obama books could be worth only 2c but they would still be high grade.

So, neither scarcity nor value should be a reflection of whether a book is high grade or not.

Perhaps this whole battle of the ages argument could be ended if a new unifying word or phrase is invented to replace "high grade" collector, something that could describe "highest grade and top percentage of the census" collector.

A sort of "mensa comic type" collector.

Here perhaps is our chance to make comic history and redefine this type of collecting that embraces certain collectors of all the comic ages. hm

Well there is a difference obviously between high grade and highest grade.

High grade is generally going to be a book that can easily be damaged or drop dramatically in grade from reading or poor handling. If you have a VG or Fine range comic and ding it or drop it it is very possible for the grade to not change...you take a VF plus and you will definitely notice a change in grade.

It's generally going to be a comic that looks like it was intentionally preserved and doesn't necessarily have to be a specific numerical grade...it just needs to have a certain look.

As long as I've been in the hobby books that are nicer than Fine range have always been considered high grade.

That is how you get the scale of what is considered high grade based on era arguement.

Highest graded is a different animal altogether. It's hunting the best of the best and is only about the grade, not about the look of the book.

Two very different things.

Yes, but I'm trying to find the common ground that unifies these collectors regardless of which age they are collecting or what grade the best books of each age is that discerning collectors of all ages collect.

It's less about high grade and more about highly sought after amongst fellow collectors for whatever reason.

Well there is a difference obviously between high grade and highest grade.

High grade is generally going to be a book that can easily be damaged or drop dramatically in grade from reading or poor handling. If you have a VG or Fine range comic and ding it or drop it it is very possible for the grade to not change...you take a VF plus and you will definitely notice a change in grade.

It's generally going to be a comic that looks like it was intentionally preserved and doesn't necessarily have to be a specific numerical grade...it just needs to have a certain look.

As long as I've been in the hobby books that are nicer than Fine range have always been considered high grade.

That is how you get the scale of what is considered high grade based on era arguement.

Highest graded is a different animal altogether. It's hunting the best of the best and is only about the grade, not about the look of the book.

Two very different things.

Ditto!! When it comes to 50's and pre-1964 silver...6.5's are High Grade to me.

Q. When is One a High Grade Collector?

A. When he or she says that they are a High Grade collector.

I mean who is to say that they aren't?

Grading is subjective so who is to say that a book that was left out in the rain

isn't high grade? It's higher grade than a book that was left in the rain and then

rolled up and used to start a campfire right?

It's all in a certain point of view from different collectors.

To me the ugliest book to own is the one that you don't have

that you still want.

I hear what most of you are saying when it comes down to books from the 50s and early 60s.

They might be the highest graded existing at the time but it still does not change the fact that they are not HG (shrug)

Call it what it truly is, the nicest copy available.

I voted 7.0 as that is about the lowest grade you can have where a book to me still looks intentionally preserved and has high grade characteristics.

I was torn between 7.0 and 7.5 but opted for the lower one.