• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HERITAGE AUCTION BONANZA !!!! LETS SEE THE STATE OF THE OA MARKET

196 posts in this topic

The auction is almost over and that's how I would put the whole thing...SOLID. There were some exceptional sales and a few steals... but overall, everything sold for pretty much what I expected. The pieces that were reserved Crazy, did not sell. I think being ahead of the curve pricewise at this time is not good. But, there seem to be bidders and buyers out there. Am I wrong?

Dan

I agree. For those with money to spend and a keen eye there were some bargains. I agree the Flash may be the steal of the auction. I was close to bidding but didn't want to get caught up in a bidding war and spend 60-70K on the piece. Regret not throwing in a bid.

Oh well, as they say collecting art is like waiting for the bus. Miss this one and wait five minutes for another.

Oh well, as they say collecting art is like waiting for the bus. Miss this one and wait five minutes for another.

I have never heard that before regarding oa. In fact, I've waited years, decades for certain top notch pieces. Yes, there is plenty to spend your money on, especially if you have diverse tastes, but as a rule, if you see something you like, have been waiting for and know the price seems fair, then Kaboom... pull that trigger. :headbang:

this of course assumes $'s to pull trigger with... :blush:

Wrightson Swampthing splash 14K hammer

CHEAP!!!

I didn't particularly like this example. I can see why it sold for what it did.

C

There were 4 pieces I had my eye on and all went for great prices, IMO.

TOD 5; utter steal

Iron Man 174; Luke McDonnell name kept the price down - one of the 20 best Iron Man covers in the last 30 years

Rarebit Fiend; while not a great example went for a good price

Justice Society cover; bid (no vig) was 1/3 what I was offered this piece for December 07

My point is that those with diverse interests (like myself) have no problem finding art to spend money on. Need to be more focused!!

I get you; and I am like that myself. I think it helps to have diverse interests and a decent size collection. Then it becomes easier to wait and see, wait and choose. But, still, art examples can be fleeting and I always advise people to pounce if it fits the bill. For me, there was nothing I had to have in this auction. And, I am saving money for a biggish deal I'm trying to put together. But, there were some opportunities and in the long run I may kick myself for not bidding higher on the Flash...

There were 4 pieces I had my eye on and all went for great prices, IMO.

TOD 5; utter steal

Iron Man 174; Luke McDonnell name kept the price down - one of the 20 best Iron Man covers in the last 30 years

Rarebit Fiend; while not a great example went for a good price

Justice Society cover; bid (no vig) was 1/3 what I was offered this piece for December 07

I agree, the TOD 5 was a steal.... and that was one of the few that really suprised me.

This wasn't such a bad price...

Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko Amazing Spider-Man #8 Splash Page 1 "Spider-Man Tackles the Torch" Original Art (Marvel...

Sold for: $28,680.00 (includes BP)

and neither was this one...

Jack Kirby and Paul Reinman X-Men #1 Iceman Training Lesson page 5 Original Art (Marvel, 1963)....

Sold for: $25,095.00 (includes BP)

I have never heard that before regarding oa. In fact, I've waited years, decades for certain top notch pieces. Yes, there is plenty to spend your money on, especially if you have diverse tastes, but as a rule, if you see something you like, have been waiting for and know the price seems fair, then Kaboom... pull that trigger. :headbang:

this of course assumes $'s to pull trigger with... :blush:

Yeah, I can relate. I thought I could battle for the X-Men 102 cover but that quickly got away from me. Damn. I loved that cover. It would have been (by far) my biggest purchase and maybe in this economy it is best I didn't get it. C'est la vie