• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HERITAGE AUCTION BONANZA !!!! LETS SEE THE STATE OF THE OA MARKET

196 posts in this topic

You're right! Mine's a keeper! The one on Heritage was nice, but in general a smaller image area. Also, the fact that he's looking away was a bit of a problem for me. That being said, if I didn't already have an example, I would have bid higher than that closing bid. As Stephen says, they are rare, and you may not get another chance.

While it's true that there are just the 11 splash pages (counting HOS 92), some may prefer a cover or even one of the nice panel pages to that particular splash.

Hey guys--fun reading people's thoughts on this market testing auction...as mentioned ComicArt_L is dead silent on the matter.

Overall there wasn't a minor or major grail in there for me so I only put in one half-hearted bid--wish I hadn't sold those BWS Conan pages a while back..last few sales have been impressive!

I felt the results were great in relation to the state of the world....weakest stuff seemed to be those that were plentiful in the auction itself (e.g., 70s covers)...not sure why you'd want to sell so many pieces to a given market segment all at once...unless there are even more on the way?

Still buying...but pickier than last year!

-- Mark

I think a lot of comicart-l members are on here. In a sense we are comicart-l, perhaps that is why there is no discussion, because were doing it right here?

Clem..

I picked up two bronze covers - conan 33 and the Amazing Adventures 2 - for prices I was happy with. I was the underbidder on a few others. Overall I think generally speaking (not for every lot) prices have softened a bit. There were specific examples of pieces that sold for much less than prior recorded sales like the moon girl cover. I agree the ff 114 cover was a bargain and also thought the same thing for the avengers 91 cover. But I do agree that the breadth of similar quality bronze age covers that would appeal to the same collector (like me) probably divided bidders. For example, I made the decision not to pursue ff 114 and avengers 91 in order to concentrate on other lots.

-Peter

Thanks Dan. My personal favorite from this auction was the ff annual 11 cover but I just didn't bid aggresively enough to win it. Congrats to however snagged it.

-Peter

Mine too! I was working on a couple of other deals at the time and didn't bid at all on it. It's all about timing unfortunately....at least for me.

That's too bad - I have a feeling there will be some more good art coming around in the next few auctions so I'm sure you'll get more chances. I also agree with you (I think it was you earlier in the thread) that the spidey kirby/ditko splash in the auction that's now on comiclink is not that exciting. I much prefer ditko/ditko or even Kirby and other inkers on other subjects. The spidey 12 splash that sold on comiclink a few years ago for about the same price this splash is listed for is much more desirable to me. That splash (spidey 12) was something special!

-Peter

WOW...the market for Gil Elvgren pin-ups appears to have bombed big-time if today's Heritage Illustration Art Auction is any indication. My guess is that the handful of bidders who ran prices up into the six and multiple six-figure range last summer for the good stuff, and mid-5 figures for even the mediocre stuff, have disappeared. Some of the paintings that sold today were sold at a loss from their previous sale on Heritage. Nothing fetched more than the low $40Ks. I suspect those paintings bought at/near the peak of the market from $60K-$210K would not fare very well were they to be resold today. :eek:

I was runner-up on the 1970s "Sailor Girl" painting (I thought it was the nicest one) which sold for a respectable $41K as it was fresh to the market. I was tempted to go higher, but didn't feel like paying up when the other stuff from his prime period was selling in the $20Ks and $30Ks.:sorry:

Wait, is the auction over? I usually get an email from them reminding me that the end is near. And, I've been too busy at work to pay attention. I wasn't interested in the pieces you mentioned but I guess I won't be bidding of a couple of other items... :pullhair:

Whoever bought the Bemelmans pieces got a really good deal. I would have topped those. Also, was looking at the Norem with the Nazi, but that price was about what I would have paid so I'm not sure I would have gone higher... That'll teach me to go into work...

It's still going on...they're up to Norman Rockwell now.

I did win the second of two pieces I was going for - the original cover to the Jan. 1963 issue of Playboy. It's a three-dimensional collage. Couldn't pass up the chance to own the original art to a Playboy cover...obviously the vast majority of them are photos and not art. :cloud9:

Well, maybe they *are* art, too. :yeahok:

I'm not sure why comic art collectors always thing for something to be art, somebody has to have physically put pencil to paper. Personally, I think the Playboy collage cover is very cool. Wish I had bought some up when they first came up during the big Playboy auctions.

I love Elvgren pin-ups (and enjoy the calendars that come from them; Miss March is SOME CUTE TRICKS from 1951) and I imagine I'm not alone in this.

If you had any ready cash, this was a great auction for buyers of his work.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7005&Lot_No=87237

lmao.

why dont u just purchase a velvet elvis?

hysterical!

These old Playboy covers are better than GOLD, I tell ya. Whatever you say about comic books being Americana goes 10x for Playboy. The Playboy rabbit is the second most recognizable American brand behind Coca-Cola. It makes your Spider-Man look like "Spider-Who?" Pretty soon these covers will be selling for MILLIONS of dollars each!! The deflation/inflation/hyperinflation currency debasement Wave C Grand Supercycle is coming! Buy your Americana, because it's GOLD, baby, GOLD!!

:yeahok: