• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HERITAGE AUCTION BONANZA !!!! LETS SEE THE STATE OF THE OA MARKET

196 posts in this topic

If nobody answers the jerk known as "Vanderbilt", he will go away as he has done before.

But you people insist on answering him, there validating what he says.

Mitch I.

(worship)

Folks, don't feed the bears!

Personally, I can't believe the twit is still coming on these boards. How many ASSumed names have it been now?

If nobody answers the jerk known as "Vanderbilt", he will go away as he has done before.

But you people insist on answering him, there validating what he says.

Mitch I.

(worship)

Folks, don't feed the bears!

Personally, I can't believe the twit is still coming on these boards. How many ASSumed names have it been now?

Well...he's got at least 2 active right now.

C

Hmm. This didn't work:

>This wasn't such a bad price...

>Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko Amazing Spider-Man #8 Splash Page 1 "Spider-Man Tackles the >Torch" Original Art (Marvel...

>Sold for: $28,680.00 (includes BP)

Looks like someone agrees with you, Dave:

And below that I tried to link to comiclink, which now has that same splash for sale. For 53K. Which makes me squint.

The "bargains" people have posted about were largely ignored because there were fewer buyers. There were a lot more spectators than bidders.

fyi - Aside from Wondercon, MegaCon in Florida was another 3 day show this weekend. Based on what I saw at NYCC, I suspect the OA market will be soft at these shows as well. I look forward to any reports from any attendees.

Cheers!

N

I was at Wondercon today. First, the number of OA dealers was down. SD was not set up at all :o

Overall, some incredible stuff but I didn't see any bargins. I also didn't see any deals happening. Doesn't mean they didn't happen, I just didn't see any. Myself, walked out buying nothing but enjoyed meeting up with some folks.

I should have said $58,900 of Spidey butt!

Most likely priced that way because Comiclink allows offers as low as 50% of asking to be made. 50% of this price is slightly above what it just sold for.

C

Hmm. This didn't work:

>Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko Amazing Spider-Man #8 Splash Page 1 "Spider-Man Tackles the >Torch" Original Art (Marvel...

And below that I tried to link to comiclink, which now has that same splash for sale. For 58K. Which makes me squint.

No one thinks there's anything funny about this?

Hmm. This didn't work:

And below that I tried to link to comiclink, which now has that same splash for sale. For 58K. Which makes me squint.

No one thinks there's anything funny about this?

It's Capitalism in action, innit?

Joseph

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=9492

Of course it's funny. It's ridiculous. The problem with this splash is that it's Kirby pencils and only Ditko inks. Nothing against Kirby, of course, but if you want an early Spidey splash, it better be Ditko on Ditko! In addition, this was a backup story, I believe.

So, someone bought this splash just to flip it in another alerady-up-and-running auction. I guess times are tough ;)

I'm at WonderCon and can confirm that there was, indeed, quite a bit of bidding going on at the show. I happened to be doing a deal with a BSD while he was bidding. His impression was that some stuff went high, but that there were a lot of deals to be had. There was nothing in the auction I was paying close attention to, but seeing as how he was bidding up a storm, I took his word for it.

I wasn't bidding to win anything in this auction, but if I had thought the Perez New Teen Titans Drug Awareness Special cover (+ some pages) was going to sell so cheaply, I would have paid more attention. It was offered with a 5-figure reserve the last time around - $3,107 was an absolute steal for what was, for me, one of the most memorable books of the '80s. :doh:

This is amazing. This package was being offered privately a year or so ago...for $25K! Granted, that was a ridiculous value, but that's still quite a comedown.

Hard to get a gauge on the market based on the dealers' tables. The only big dealers set up were Albert, Bechara, and Anthony. Just from observation, it looked like things were a little busier than NYCC. However, there were some absolute monster deals in the works privately for some of the biggest blue chip pieces in our hobby. The best stuff is still getting top, top dollar.

Artists Alley was packed as usual. No slowdown there. $200 appears to be the new standard and the line for guys like J.Scott Campbell was non-stop. His sketch list is based on a sliding scale...he had more people offering him the high end (up to $1K) than the low end.

A fun show overall. There was a WATCHMEN screening at the IMAX on Friday night. I'll say this...most fans will be happy. I was. I'll be posting more, including some stuff I got, later.

Of course it's funny. It's ridiculous. The problem with this splash is that it's Kirby pencils and only Ditko inks. Nothing against Kirby, of course, but if you want an early Spidey splash, it better be Ditko on Ditko! In addition, this was a backup story, I believe.

So, someone bought this splash just to flip it in another alerady-up-and-running auction. I guess times are tough ;)

I think it is less to do with Kirby and more to do with the composition, sure pure Ditko pencils and inks is primo. But if this was a big splash of Spidey swinging/leaping towards you with a great pose, then it would command top dollar even in a depressed market. Same point could be said about those pedestrian Ditko ASM pages. I have never understood why anyone would pay $15k + for say a Parker page never mind $20K.

this is one of the most memorable spidey pages of all time for me. I always thought this little back up story was awesome! You've got spidey, torch being a p rick in his split window 'Vette, what's not to like? It was my favorite piece in this auction.

It looks as though the outcome of this auction was the beginning of what many here have been predicting for quite some time now - a long overdue correction in the market - and I for one couldn't be more pleased.

There was one big ticket item that I was hoping and praying wouldn't reach reserve, but unfortunately for me it did get the one bid that it needed to sell. My intention was to make an offer after the auction was over... "The best laid plans of mice and men... " Maybe it was for the best, because I've got a feeling a lot more primo material will begin appearing very soon.

I did score one cover, and was in the running for the Barry Smith Conan page until it topped 7K. No matter how much I loved it, I couldn't justify paying what probably would have been a five figure sum when I already own a nice example from the run. My wife actually said "Just buy the damn thing so I don't have to hear about it all next week." She's a good one! :)

A few of the better Sunday pages were tempting, and that Betty Boop daily sold for about half of what it would have even a couple of years ago. The swampy panel page sold at a reasonable price, as did the splash (even though it was a rear view just like the last one that sold a while back). The Kirby cross-section of the Baxter Building was kind of neat, and tempted me, as did one of the Feldstein EC pages.

Overall, it was a fun auction to participate in and I think a good indicator of what to expect from the OA market in the near future.

-Bill

hmmm, I think I am missing your point here. You missed out on two top pieces because they DID sell and that is an indication of a correction?? This auction represented a mixed bag, highs, mediums, and lows. I think the timing of the auction stunk, I think there was too much like material in the medium catagory all chasing the same dollars, but despite that it did quite well. Much, much better than any financial market. Actually, I thought the auction proved the stregnth and depth of the OA world. I was suprised by some of the high prices which I needn't mention again, they were numberous and self evident, but I was also suprised by some of the lows. The Kirby pieces went pretty average to low in my opinion. I know a few years from now we will all be kicking ourselves for not buying one of these Xmen 1 pages. There were a couple of great pages that went under 20k. That's too cheap in any market. A couple/few of the Bronze age covers went low, kirby and otherwise. But, overall, to throw that much out there on one day, I think the results were pretty good. Having said that, I do think some collectors are hesitating to push the button these days.... how could they not be?! And, maybe some dealers are going to have to rethink their strategy of always pricing ahead of the market (please, please!). But, people are still buying and no one seems to be dumping so the hunt goes on...

I know a few years from now we will all be kicking ourselves for not buying one of these Xmen 1 pages. There were a couple of great pages that went under 20k. That's too cheap in any market.

Well, I'm not sure about that, but I am kicking myself for not buying the whole book a few years ago - now that really was too cheap in (most) any market. :frustrated:

Agreed. But, it just seems that a couple of those pages went for what a medium good Kirby/Sinnott FF page from the middle of the run would set you back. Granted they may not be as pretty, but that's a whole mess of history there. Anyway, my overall point was that the Kirby was a little soft in the auction, and I still think that was the case. The FF3 splash, the Bronze age covers, Kirby/Ditko spidey splash, and Xmen 1 pages, there might have been one or two others.

I know a few years from now we will all be kicking ourselves for not buying one of these Xmen 1 pages. There were a couple of great pages that went under 20k. That's too cheap in any market.

Well, I'm not sure about that, but I am kicking myself for not buying the whole book a few years ago - now that really was too cheap in (most) any market. :frustrated: