• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HERITAGE AUCTION BONANZA !!!! LETS SEE THE STATE OF THE OA MARKET

196 posts in this topic

First of all, let me just say "hammer price" means nothing...it's when you add the "juice" that you see what was *actually* spent...

Of course it means something - if you're the seller, you're getting *less* than the hammer price. There are two sides to every market, and strong sale prices only tell half the story - time will tell if the buyer or the seller got the better end of the deal. I suspect that some of the strong prices paid in the summer of 2008 will stand as high water marks for years to come. :sorry:

:

No, Jon's right. When talking about a Heritage auction, people know there's juice involved. The 'hammer' price for any given item only affects one individual. The entire rest of the world is looking at the final cost. It's confusing to start throwing around the 'hammer' numbers just to skew your agenda.

Please dont confuse Deli with logic. He has too much builit into his bet against America.

It is foolish to bet AGAINST America

When will people learn

No, Jon's right. When talking about a Heritage auction, people know there's juice involved. The 'hammer' price for any given item only affects one individual. The entire rest of the world is looking at the final cost. It's confusing to start throwing around the 'hammer' numbers just to skew your agenda.

Of course people know there's juice involved - but it works both ways. In any case, my point was that for every buyer, there's a seller, and who's to say the former always gets the better of the latter (apparently the default presumption among some of you)? Like I said, and others in this Forum have pointed out as well in recent months, people who top ticked the market last year on some pieces may be looking at a very long time before they can get their money back, even without factoring in the "juice" and other transaction costs.

Gene

P.S. - As for my "agenda", please tell me what would that be? I don't have an agenda because I don't need one - I can speak my mind because I can afford to. I don't need higher or lower prices, I don't need favors from dealers, I don't need friends who can't handle a diversity of opinion, and I don't need to win any Miss Congeniality contests. Agendas are for people who are starved for attention and/or who are looking to profit in some way from this hobby. Anyone that really knows me can tell you that such a claim would be particularly laughable if applied to me. (tsk)

Cap A.- 193, 194, 196, 199, 200, 201, 203, 211

Marvel Double Feature- 13, 18

I am paying 15 to 25k right now for the better Kirby Captain America 70's covers.... and I believe I am probably not the top buyer for each and every one of them, so I neither think this was a decent price or a decent cover... but, as always, to each his own.

For me, it goes back to the previous discussion about the Best. While Kirby 70's may not be the best to everyone... I would rather focus on the best examples of that limited run. The best of this particular segment of the OA market. Partly because I like them better, and partly because they will hold their value better. DF

I liked that cover but obviously wasn't paying 7K for it. It's actually a pretty cool piece. If you got the catalog, you saw that it was the Kirby cover, with the Romita Cap head overlay.

Well then, which do you consider "the better Kirby Captain America 70s covers"?

Please dont confuse Deli with logic. He has too much builit into his bet against America.

Normally I wouldn't respond to your shilly shilliness, but I'm really curious about this statement. Just what is my "bet against America" and, whatever it may be, how does it differ from your constant posting both here and in The Water Cooler about how America is doomed, the dollar is going to be worthless, the stock market is going to zero, etc. If anyone is betting against America, it's you, Mr. Krazy Shill. (tsk)

Cap A.- 193, 194, 196, 199, 200, 201, 203, 211

Marvel Double Feature- 13, 18

Well then, which do you consider "the better Kirby Captain America 70s covers"?

I'll agree to disagree with you on the 196, but the rest of them, particularly the 201, are phenomenal covers. Do you/didn't you used to own the 212 cover? That's a great cover as well.

Normally I wouldn't respond to your shilly shilliness, but I'm really curious about this statement. Just what is my "bet against America" and, whatever it may be, how does it differ from your constant posting both here and in The Water Cooler about how America is doomed, the dollar is going to be worthless, the stock market is going to zero, etc. If anyone is betting against America, it's you, Mr. Krazy Shill. (tsk)

I dont do psycho analysis. You need to look in the mirror and ask yourself why you are a foot soldier of the Illuminati and betting against America. As for the dollar collapsing and such,....it will happen,...and will confirm and evidence the fact that your ilk has lost. Now go away.

One piece that hasn't been mentioned is the Adams Xmen splash. I thought the price realized was pretty strong, considering how this page has bounced around so much in recent years. I think it first popped up 6 or 7 years ago (when it was offered to me for 4k) and has since had at least a half dozen owners and has been offered to me and others numerous times. It just doesn't seem to stick anywhere, and I thought an "orphan" piece like this might take a hit. Instead, pretty solid price.

The Cockrum Xmen cover was perhaps the biggest surprise on the upside. I thought 50-55k with the juice would get it. Just wow.

I initially thought the Swampthing splash would go for 25k, but even though I'm in the market for a Wrightson ST splash or cover, I passed early on for the obvious reason that the price stayed at 15k level--ST from the back is not the iconic shot you want to pay top dollar for. 15k is probably about right.

The Flash was a huge bargain IMHO. I would have been interested at that price for sure.

I don't think there's any doubt that the market has softened. How could it not? Still, this was far from a full out blood letting.

comicartcom, this sounds very interesting. I collect early Barks originals and would love to hear how those covers were discovered? I believe WDCS 134 and the "Rags to Riches" Four Color must have been among them. Was the "Christmas for Shacktown" cover which Geppi owns also included?

My guess is that the Kelly cover ended up in Europe and that it will be a very long time before it resurfaces. Disney originals, not least comic book originals, have indeed performed very poorly over the last 20 years. I know several of the people (all Europeans) who buy them and none of them think much about a financial return. The buyer today was clearly not motivated by any desire to make a profit. Still, I can definitely understand why he made the investment. I would have loved to have bought it myself, kept it for the next 20 years, and sold it for whatever loss it would lead to in 2029.

yes both oif those and others. I traded Russ the Christmas for Shacktown cover on the same trip to West Plains as the #45 cover and of course, had and sold others and Pete had gotten Rags to Riches with other covers

One sad thing we found was a small 2x8 inch piece that represented the remaining art extant of the Walt Kelly Walt Disney's Christmas Parade #1 cover. It was cut up to be used for an advertisement

I would be extremely interested in hearing more about which covers you found (PM is fine if you prefer). I own a couple of covers that came from Bruce Hamilton's estate (WDCS 96/"bubble bath" and 214/"ice cream cones") along other early Barks pages between 1945 and 62. I know all too well how incredibly rare this stuff is and am very curious about what else was in the dumpster and how you came across it.

PS: I prefer to be anonymous in case you know me.

I don't think there's any doubt that the market has softened. How could it not? Still, this was far from a full out blood letting.

I would agree with that. The unanswerable question is when will the 'fear' that is gripping the nation ease. I don't think we have to go back to last year financial numbers which were inflated, but some upward movement will go along way to open up pocketbooks. I still feel pretty 'smart' for having a large art collection, but I don't seem to be socking nearly as much money into it these days. Not selling mind you, but thinking long and hard about 5 figure and above purchases. It's gotta be on my 'list' to put any more $ on the table right now.... than again, I have a pretty long list.... DF

You have a good eye in Kirby Cap covers Dan...I personally think the #193, 194, 199, and 200 are *especially* good examples...

I myself am looking to find the cover art to Cap #202, but only because I liked it as a kid...same reason I like the cover to #210, again, pure nostalgia, even though from an art point they're not really great examples...

And, I daresay you would pay well and above 7k for the cover to Cap #202. That was my original point, there are people out there who value the 'best' examples... by the way, the 202 just barely by a thread didn't make my 'best' list. I can't want everything...

You have a good eye in Kirby Cap covers Dan...I personally think the #193, 194, 199, and 200 are *especially* good examples...

I myself am looking to find the cover art to Cap #202, but only because I liked it as a kid...same reason I like the cover to #210, again, pure nostalgia, even though from an art point they're not really great examples...

By the way, has anyone mentioned the CRAPTACULAR choice of time and date for this Heritage auction?? Opening night of Wondercon, right during the mad rush of setup and traveling. How many dealers were bidding... about half the usual amount I would guess? How many collectors that went to Wondercon bid live during the auction?

By the way, has anyone mentioned the CRAPTACULAR choice of time and date for this Heritage auction?? Opening night of Wondercon, right during the mad rush of setup and traveling. How many dealers were bidding... about half the usual amount I would guess? How many collectors that went to Wondercon bid live during the auction?

I heard that plenty of people were on the phone to Heritage at the show. It you really want a piece, Wondercon is not going to stop you!

You're right! Mine's a keeper! The one on Heritage was nice, but in general a smaller image area. Also, the fact that he's looking away was a bit of a problem for me. That being said, if I didn't already have an example, I would have bid higher than that closing bid. As Stephen says, they are rare, and you may not get another chance.

The "bargains" people have posted about were largely ignored because there were fewer buyers. There were a lot more spectators than bidders.

fyi - Aside from Wondercon, MegaCon in Florida was another 3 day show this weekend. Based on what I saw at NYCC, I suspect the OA market will be soft at these shows as well. I look forward to any reports from any attendees.

Cheers!

N

The "bargains" people have posted about were largely ignored because there were fewer buyers. There were a lot more spectators than bidders.

fyi - Aside from Wondercon, MegaCon in Florida was another 3 day show this weekend. Based on what I saw at NYCC, I suspect the OA market will be soft at these shows as well. I look forward to any reports from any attendees.

Cheers!

N

If the dealer asking prices are as astronomically high as they were in NYC I would concur whole heartedly. (thumbs u

C

If nobody answers the jerk known as "Vanderbilt", he will go away as he has done before.

But you people insist on answering him, there validating what he says.

Mitch I.

(worship)

Folks, don't feed the bears!