• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Nine MPWF #1 copies Today?
5 5

235 posts in this topic

I don't know if anyone knows how many, but I would think there are 20-30 sets out there. (shrug)

That's accurate.

I have an extra set if anyone is interested. I have sold two sets for $1,200.00 each in the last year.

So, here's some updated information combining this thread's information, Heritage Auction House archives & the CGC census:

Here's the CGC census for MPFW #1

Universal label Unrestored...................Sold for on:

1..........9.0 Cream to off-white pages...............$43,125.00 10/15/2005

1..........7.0 Light tan to off-white pages............$20,700.00 7/7/2002

1..........5.5 (esquirecomics) Slightly brittle pages.....$20,315.00 2/27/2009

Restored label

1..........4.0 (MP) Brittle pages.............................$11,352.50 5/23/2008

Raw that we know of:

1..........7.5 (FUELMAN's) (MP) Light tan pages......$12,000.00* ?/?/2000

.............................................................* included covers 2-4

1..........??? (jbcomicbox)

Ninth issue

1...........???...........................???............................???

Covers to 2-4 average over 4 sales shown on Hertiage $924.18

Esquire Comics has sold 2 sets since 2008 for $1,200.00 each

This would bring the average price realized for 6 sets to $1,016.12 per set

I don't know if anyone knows how many, but I would think there are 20-30 sets out there. (shrug)

That's accurate.

I have an extra set if anyone is interested. I have sold two sets for $1,200.00 each in the last year.

hm

I don't mean to run this thread, but I'm on a roll here so bare with me. I just found this from a 1999 post and found the last line very interesting, as it brings me back to the conversation I had with one of the people who was there at the find. His remark was that all of the copies could do with some restoration as the spines were in pretty rough shape.

"1939, Publisher Unlisted, the first and only number, with the covers to Nos. 2-4, original and first appearance of Sub-Mariner by Bill Everett, later reprinted in Marvel Comics No. 1, interior pages are black and white, OWL paper is 7.5 to 8; with very limited restoration to spine by William Sarill, encased within a "Fortress" system; A.C.G. apparent fine plus - 72. (4 pieces) Bob Overstreet notes in his Price Guide that this comic is (rare) with only 8 known copies, and only one near mint with white pages. This copy must be the higher grade copy that Overstreet refers to because the consignor is the original discoverer of this rare find, and saved his final copy to sell(the copy offered here) as the highest ranked condition copy. It should be noted that William Sarill did very slight touch up work to all eight copies from this discovery, therefore they are all slightly restored copies."

Source: Lot 211: Motion Picture Funnies Weekly

Fueldude sell the MPFW and buy a MC#1 then reacquire the MPFW at a later date?

I hear you, Surfer dude, but this book in the long run is the more important book to me, price not being everything. I can always haggle over a MC #1, but you don't get many shots at a MPFW #1. (thumbs u

"1939, Publisher Unlisted, the first and only number, with the covers to Nos. 2-4, original and first appearance of Sub-Mariner by Bill Everett, later reprinted in Marvel Comics No. 1, interior pages are black and white, OWL paper is 7.5 to 8; with very limited restoration to spine by William Sarill, encased within a "Fortress" system; A.C.G. apparent fine plus - 72. (4 pieces) Bob Overstreet notes in his Price Guide that this comic is (rare) with only 8 known copies, and only one near mint with white pages. This copy must be the higher grade copy that Overstreet refers to because the consignor is the original discoverer of this rare find, and saved his final copy to sell(the copy offered here) as the highest ranked condition copy. It should be noted that William Sarill did very slight touch up work to all eight copies from this discovery, therefore they are all slightly restored copies."

By 1999, Bob was certainly counting the Pay Copy as the near mint copy (and the only one with white pages).

But it is interesting that when this book was first discovered it was reported as being five copies (with one of the five being being incomplete missing six pages, this was the copy Bob immediately bought for $2000.00).

By 1979 the guide was updated to say "five known copies (with a sixth suspected)"

Last I saw it said "eight known copies (with a ninth suspected)."

Where did copy #6, #7, and #8 come from (if we assume copy #9 is the Pay Copy), and why was one of them always "suspected"?

It looks as if all nine copies are currently accounted for - six in the census, two raw owned by board members and one incomplete copy. The surprise would come if another complete copy was ever slabbed (that didn't belong to JB or Fuelman).

History of The Ninth Suspected:

This came because a former owner of a movie theater in the N.E. claims to remember seeing a Motion Picture Funnies Weekly, so it was suspected/expected to sometime turn up, but has never done so to my knowledge.

I don't mean to run this thread, but I'm on a roll here so bare with me. I just found this from a 1999 post and found the last line very interesting, as it brings me back to the conversation I had with one of the people who was there at the find. His remark was that all of the copies could do with some restoration as the spines were in pretty rough shape.

That last sentence has got to be wrong. I can't imagine CGC missed CT on each of the unrestored slabbed copies.

That last sentence has got to be wrong. I can't imagine CGC missed CT on each of the unrestored slabbed copies.

Well.........come on, Perry Mason, and get to the bottom of it! :makepoint:

:popcorn:

That's accurate.

So, here's some updated information combining this thread's information, Heritage Auction House archives & the CGC census:

Restored label

1..........4.0 (MP) Brittle pages.............................$11,352.50 5/23/2008

Raw that we know of:

.............................................................* included covers 2-4

1..........??? (jbcomicbox)

Ninth issue

Ah....that has to be me. Guys, if truth be known, I have never had a book slabbed......Had my copy since 1993. my grade is VF or so with okay pages but tending to the "dry"side jon

Restored label

Raw that we know of:

1..........8.0 (jbcomicbox) tanning halo, 3/4" spine split.....$10,000.00 ?/?/1993

..............................possible restoration above top staple.

Ninth issue

Covers to 2-4 average over 4 sales shown on Hertiage $924.18

Esquire Comics has sold 2 sets since 2008 for $1,200.00 each

This would bring the average price realized for 6 sets to $1,016.12 per set

History of The Ninth Suspected (Now the Tenth?):

I have heard this came because a former owner(?) of a movie theater in the Boston area claims to remember seeing a Motion Picture Funnies Weekly, so it was suspected/expected to sometime turn up, "possible distribution"(?), but has never done so to my knowledge.

Overstreet #38, 2008 Edition

"Note: Eight copies (plus one coverless) were discovered in 1974 in the estate of the deceased publisher. Covers only to issues No.2-4 were also found which evidently were printed in advance along with #1.#1 was to be distributed only through motion picture movie houses. However, it is believed that only advanced copies were sent out and the motion picture houses not going for the idea. Possible distribution at local theaters in Boston suspected. The "Pay Copy" (grade at 9.0) was discovered after 1974, bringing the total known to nine. The last panel of Sub-Mariner contains a rectangular box with "Continued next week" printed in it. When reprinted in Marvel Mystery, the box was left in with lettering omitted. "

As some of you know, I picked up one of my "grail" books in the current Heritage signature auction: Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 (First Funnies, Inc., 1939) CGC 5.5

Congratulations Mark. I've long been fascinated with MPFW myself so it's great one in such good company.

Well.........come on, Perry Mason, and get to the bottom of it! :makepoint:

:popcorn:

Working it! :banana: