• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are the Nine MPWF #1 copies Today?
5 5

235 posts in this topic

Could anyone share some more info on the GreenGiant #1,pretty please?

He says Ho Ho Ho and has a sidekick named Sprout.

As for the one not in the frozen food section, I stole this description from a Heritage auction for a CGC 8.0 that sold for $8,500 five years ago:

Green Giant Comics #1 (Pelican Publications, 1940) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white to white pages. You're looking at one of the few copies of this book in existence. Overstreet calls it "rare," while Gerber terms it "very rare," signifying that only six to ten copies are thought to still exist. Overstreet also notes that the book was distributed only in New York City, and says that even the book's publisher "believes the book never reached the stands." If, despite all of this, you still believe a nicer copy will come along, let us curb your optimism by noting that only two other unrestored copies have been certified by CGC as of this writing, and they are a FN+ 6.5 and a lamentable FR/GD 1.5. Overstreet 2007 VF 8.0 value = $7,800. CGC census 5/07: 1 in 8.0, none higher.

Thank you very much!!! (thumbs u

The Green Giant was also a Canadian childrens programme,puppet giraffes and all!

This is by far my favorite thread to date,

I have learned some really fantastic stuff,

and I thank you all for enriching my knowledge of

comic history!! :popcorn:

Always trying to listen and learn,

porky :D

Have we exhausted this thread without having to undertake some actual real work? :makepoint::blahblah::whistle:

Nice use of the collective "we"

Anybody find me a copy?

:whistle:

Have we exhausted this thread without having to undertake some actual real work? :makepoint::blahblah::whistle:

Anybody find me a copy?

You might want to reach out to Heritage and ask if they will put you in touch with the owner of the CGC 5.0 if it is still available. But the reserve, which was not met, at the time it was auctioned was about $32k. Of course, that was about 18 months ago.

Anybody find me a copy?

I didn't know "we" were supposed to find you a book. :screwy:

Anybody find me a copy?

I didn't know "we" didn't have a sense of humor.

:screwy:

Anybody find me a copy?

Yea, like we're supposed to understand Canadian! Please speak American. :baiting::/

Anybody find me a copy?

Yea, like we're supposed to understand Canadian! Please speak American. :baiting::/

Hey, the :whistle: graemlin was in American.

:makepoint:

Updated yet again....

So, here's some updated information combining this thread's information, Heritage Auction House archives & the CGC census & from known owners:

Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1

CGC Graded Universal Label Unrestored.........................................Sold for on:

1..........9.0 Cream to off-white pages "Pay Copy"......$43,125.00 10/15/2005

1..........7.0 Light tan to off-white pages........................$20,700.00 7/7/2002

1..........5.5 (esquirecomics) Slightly brittle pages.......$20,315.00 2/27/2009

1..........5.0 Slightly brittle pages....................................????..........?/?/????

CGC Graded Restored Label

1..........7.5 (MP) (QualityComix)off white pages..............$???.................6/2009

1..........4.0 (MP) Brittle pages.........................................$11,352.50 5/23/2008

Raw that we know of:

1..........7.5 (FUELMAN's) (MP) Light tan pages...........$12,000.00* 9-10/2000

.......................* included covers 2-4

1..........8.0 (jbcomicbox) tanning halo, 3/4" spine split .......$10,000.00 9/1993

.....................possible restoration above top staple.

Coverless Copy

1..........NG (thecollectron) Light tan pages(tanning halo)........$4,000.00...... 2001

9th, Raw Unknown Issue (now 10th issue)

1...........raw...........................???.....................................???

Covers to 2-4 average over 4 sales shown on Hertiage $924.18

Esquire Comics has sold 2 sets since 2008 for $1,200.00 each

This would bring the average price realized for 6 sets to $1,016.12 per set

Estimated between 20-30 sets exist(?)

History of The 9th Suspected (Now the 10th Suspected?):

I have heard this came about due to a former movie theater owner in the Boston area claiming to remember seeing a Motion Picture Funnies Weekly, so it became suspected, "possible distribution"(?), but has not turned up to date.

Overstreet #38, 2008 Edition

"Note: Eight copies (plus one coverless) were discovered in 1974 in the estate of the deceased publisher. Covers only to issues No.2-4 were also found which evidently were printed in advance along with #1.#1 was to be distributed only through motion picture movie houses. However, it is believed that only advanced copies were sent out and the motion picture houses not going for the idea. Possible distribution at local theaters in Boston suspected. The "Pay Copy" (graded at 9.0) was discovered after 1974, bringing the total known to nine. The last panel of Sub-Mariner contains a rectangular box with "Continued next week" printed in it. When reprinted in Marvel Mystery, the box was left in with lettering omitted. "

Additional information from Artifact.com Lot 211 from 1999.

"Description:

1939, Publisher Unlisted, the first and only number, with the covers to Nos. 2-4, original and first appearance of Sub-Mariner by Bill Everett, later reprinted in Marvel Comics No. 1, interior pages are black and white, OWL paper is 7.5 to 8; with very limited restoration to spine by William Sarill, encased within a "Fortress" system; A.C.G. apparent fine plus - 72. (4 pieces) Bob Overstreet notes in his Price Guide that this comic is (rare) with only 8 known copies, and only one near mint with white pages. This copy must be the higher grade copy that Overstreet refers to because the consignor is the original discoverer of this rare find, and saved his final copy to sell(the copy offered here) as the highest ranked condition copy. It should be noted that William Sarill did very slight touch up work to all eight copies from this discovery, therefore they are all slightly restored copies."

Link to ArtiFact.com web page

This one's mine folks. Back off.

:sumo:

I was thinking about adding another to my collection actually. :gossip:

I really wouldn't mind having a reader copy either.................... hm

does nothing for me (thumbs u

(tsk)

(tsk)

Watch it, buddy, or I'll pull a Calamerica & buy them all up. :sumo:

FUELMAN (who is not afraid to back that up!)

(tsk)

Watch it, buddy, or I'll pull a Calamerica & buy them all up. :sumo:

FUELMAN (who is not afraid to back that up!)

:blahblah: